Malaysia Airlines loses contact with passenger jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
No idea. I'm just sharing the most recent information I'm aware of. For all I know, in 20 minutes they'll say the original report was true.
I had to read the correction at the end of the WSJ article twice to understand it, and I still may not be getting it right, but it looks like they're saying they stand by their 4-5 hour estimate, just not the source of the estimate. Whoever is relaying the info clarified that their data is based off a satellite-communication link – and not the Rolls-Royce engines.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I had to read the correction at the end of the WSJ article twice to understand it, and I still may not be getting it right, but it looks like they're saying they stand by their 4-5 hour estimate, just not the source of the estimate. Whoever is relaying the info clarified that their data is based off a satellite-communication link – and not the Rolls-Royce engines.
Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that. That article is a little hard to follow. If there were signals picked up by satellites for four hours or more, hopefully they'll figure out some way of tracking them. maybe they already have and just haven't shared that yet. If it is some kind of hijacking, I doubt the would share that info.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Yep. I still think hijacking. 4hrs flight time at 560mph would put them to the Indian coast. Heading to Pakistan?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Yep. I still think hijacking. 4hrs flight time at 560mph would put them to the Indian coast. Heading to Pakistan?
Possibly, if it was hijacked in order to hold the passengers hostage. But there has been no call for ransom. Otoh, if they wanted the plane, why keep the passengers? Maybe it took them flying around for several hours below radar so that the cabin didn't need to be pressurized. They could open the door and one by one....:eek2:
But again, why?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
For some reason you seem pretty determined to ignore the evidence. It might have taken a nosedive as soon as it left radar coverage and plunged directly into the sea. But the chances of that happening have become so increasingly thin that I haven't seen anyone reporting it as still being a legitimate possibility.

There was no distress signal, no debris field, the transponder conveniently (or inconveniently) malfunctioned, the US has reported that the engines were sending data for at least 4 more hours after it disappeared and they're currently looking in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Not to mention the other countries involved are looking in the Adaman Sea and the Strait of Malacca.

Given all the evidence we've seen, and even the amount of misinformation, what in the world makes you think it plunged into the ocean along it's planned route when communication ceased?
1. No , I'm just trying to stick to the few facts known rather than jumping to conclusions.
2. There is NO evidence to support turning left. Just disputed and discounted reports.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
ABC is reporting that 2 US officials told them the 2 reporting systems the pilots have control over shutdown separately. The data reporting system shut down at 1:07 and the transponder shut down at 1:21 which suggests that it wasn't a catastrophic mechanical failure.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
*sigh*

Yes, I realize this.

Does a Reuters article in the Chicago Tribune count for you? http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-malaysia-airlines-usa-search-20140313,0,2157045.story
Fine but there is a difference between

"It's my understanding that based on some new information that's not necessarily conclusive, but new information, an additional search area may be opened in the Indian Ocean," White House spokesman Jay Carney said. "And we are consulting with international partners about the appropriate assets to deploy."
and

Well, the US is sending a destroyer to the Indian Ocean to search based on something: http://rt.com/usa/malaysia-airlines-indian-ocean-642/
I'm not trying to nit pick but as far as I know at this time we are not searching the Indian Ocean yet

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not trying to nit pick but as far as I know at this time we are not searching the Indian Ocean yet
It certainly seems as if you are, as the Chicago Tribune article you quoted from clearly states:
The Navy's guided-missile destroyer USS Kidd entered the Strait of Malacca, west of the Malaysian peninsula, and was headed toward the Indian Ocean to continue the search, U.S. defense officials said.
So yah, it appears you're simply trying to bolster your nitpicking instead of actually reading the article.

I mean, it's on the front page of CNN.com.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
It certainly seems as if you are, as in the Chicago Tribune article is clearly states:

So yah, it appears you're simply trying to bolster your nitpicking instead of actually reading the article.

I mean, it's on the front page of CNN.com.
I haven't read all these articles and have just been trying to respond to the facts as known

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Who knows where this will go, but...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/13/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

New information, U.S. officials told CNN, indicates the missing airplane could have flown for several hours beyond the last transponder reading.

Malaysian authorities believe they have several "pings" from the airliner's service data system, known as ACARS, transmitted to satellites in the four to five hours after the last transponder signal, suggesting the plane flew to the Indian Ocean, a senior U.S. official told CNN. That information combined with known radar data and knowledge of fuel range leads officials to believe the plane may have made it to that ocean, which is in the opposite direction of the plane's original route.

"There is probably a significant likelihood" that the aircraft is now on the bottom of the Indian Ocean, the official said, citing information Malaysia has shared with the United States.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
"There is probably a significant likelihood" that the aircraft is now on the bottom of the Indian Ocean, the official said, citing information Malaysia has shared with the United States.
It's entirely possible that the pilots chose to sit it down onto the ocean instead of letting it crash into it. If this is the case, it's also possible that it did not break apart but rather sank and remained intact.
This might sound cruel, but when compared to a hijacking, this would be the better outcome.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
It's entirely possible that the pilots chose to sit it down onto the ocean instead of letting it crash into it. If this is the case, it's also possible that it did not break apart but rather sank and remained intact.
This might sound cruel, but when compared to a hijacking, this would be the better outcome.
Possible, but why is still a BIG mystery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.