Description: I do some chili competitions, and this is not my recipe. Got this from, of all places, a Fantasy Football website. Made it, and thought it came together really well - add or subtract per your tastes!
"Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game – got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I’ve ever made/had. I didn’t take any of the shortcuts – the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was."
Time: Approximately 3 hours
- 1/3 Cup of Olive Oil
- 5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)
- 1 pound of pork sausage
- 3 large onions chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 can of tomato soup
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 TS of dried cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- 2 tsp of salt
- 13 oz of beef broth
- 36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)
- 1 shot of Jack Daniels
- 34 oz of beans (optional – I used dark kidney beans)
- "Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside."
- "In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns.
- Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency.
- Then add beans and cook another ½ hour.
- You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup.
- Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it.
- Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time.
- Garnish with green onion and cheese.
- Tipsy adds Sour Cream & Fritos too."