QB Kyler Murray Commits to Texas A&M

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: Allen HS QB picks aTm, just like his father

No surprise here. His father played QB at Texas A&M, he is very close with Manziel, and he's a native Texan. It would have been a shock had he ended up anywhere else.

As for us, I'm not sure that it matters a great deal. He was never coming to Alabama, and while A&M is certainly getting a fine prospect, the truth of the matter is that A&M is going to be a tough out in most years, provided that Sumlin stays in Aggieland. That's just something we will have to deal with on a yearly basis, and though some people want to believe that without Manziel and Evans that the A&M game will turn into an Arkansas-caliber-type match-up, that's just not going to be the case.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam

Having watched him in high school, yes...he is a Manziel clone. Great talent and very elusive.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Kyler may hurt Alabama in the future, but his A&M commitment hurts Bama by causing Oregon to put the full court press on Travis Waller - a recent recipient of an Alabama offer.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Kyler may hurt Alabama in the future, but his A&M commitment hurts Bama by causing Oregon to put the full court press on Travis Waller - a recent recipient of an Alabama offer.
I dont know that we would ever be his top choice because he sees himself in a spread/QB run offense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I dont know that we would ever be his top choice because he sees himself in a spread/QB run offense.
That is what I figured until I read a Q&A with him on another Bama message board. When someone asked him about being a dual threat rather than a pocket passer, he replied:

Im a pocket passer that can run. I really need to run if I absolutely need to. I don't necessarily like the term "Dual-Threat"
In the Q&A session, he mentioned liking Alabama's pro-style offense. He also mentioned his feet and throwing on the run. Not sure if he was trying to satisfy Bama fans with the pro-style talk or not.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Re: Murray and Waller:

I think it's probably a moot point all the way around. Murray was never going anywhere but A&M, and I will be highly surprised if Waller ultimately signs with UA. Not saying it can't happen, mind you, but I certainly don't expect it.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Re: Murray and Waller:

I think it's probably a moot point all the way around. Murray was never going anywhere but A&M, and I will be highly surprised if Waller ultimately signs with UA. Not saying it can't happen, mind you, but I certainly don't expect it.
Yep. I'm not sure who we'll get in the '15 class as it seems the top QBs are committing early. It's kind of ironic that we can sign the top players at almost every other position, but haven't signed the top QB with CNS.

To my knowledge, we've signed:

Top RB: Trent R., (Yeldon, Hart, Henry were a 5* but I don't think he was highest rated)
Top WR: Julio; (Foster was another 5* but not top I think)
Top TE: Howard
Top OL: Robinson, Cyrus K., Fluker (Love was a 5*); top Juco in Jackson; top OC in Casher/JC
Top DL: Hand (Allen and Robinson were 5* too)
Top LB: Foster, Nico, Evans (Miller, Ragland, and Harris were highly rated, but can't remember if 5*)
Top DB: Dre, Dee, Ha Ha, Marlon, Tony, Landon
Top Ath: Bo, Eddie

We've even recruited the highest ranked kicker, punter, and long snapper (obviously not 5* guys, but still top ones)The only top position we haven't recruited a 5* is QB. Considering that we're a top caliber team (if not the top team right now), it's just very surprising.

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

That is what I figured until I read a Q&A with him on another Bama message board. When someone asked him about being a dual threat rather than a pocket passer, he replied:

In the Q&A session, he mentioned liking Alabama's pro-style offense. He also mentioned his feet and throwing on the run. Not sure if he was trying to satisfy Bama fans with the pro-style talk or not.
yeah that goes against what he has said previously....

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Yep. I'm not sure who we'll get in the '15 class as it seems the top QBs are committing early. It's kind of ironic that we can sign the top players at almost every other position, but haven't signed the top QB with CNS.
"The" might be an unduly high qualifier, but in any event it's generally a misplaced sentiment because we have consistently recruited quarterbacks very well under Saban as well. McCarron and Sims were both very highly-touted, and ditto for Bateman and Cornwell. Even with Jacob Coker, who we picked up on the transfer circuit, he could have basically gone to any school in the country when he left FSU. All told, you're talking about five premiere-type QB signees in a five year span, which is realistically as well as you can ever do at that position.

As for 2015, as I've said on here several times, we just aren't a particularly attractive destination for a top QB prospects. Coker likely has the job for the next two years, and both Bateman and Cornwell have good standing to be very difficult to displace for the starting QB job in 2015-2017. With all of that in mind, the fact of the matter is simply that hardly any top QB prospect is going to sign with us right now, knowing that they have will have to wait three or four years before really having a viable chance to take over.

We might sign a top QB recruit in the 2016 class, but even that is going to be somewhat tricky, and you probably won't see us sign another headliner-type until the 2017 class. Until then, we will be relying on Coker, Bateman, and Cornwell, and the QB signees we bring in will likely be more long-term development types.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

"The" might be an unduly high qualifier, but in any event it's generally a misplaced sentiment because we have consistently recruited quarterbacks very well under Saban as well. McCarron and Sims were both very highly-touted, and ditto for Bateman and Cornwell. Even with Jacob Coker, who we picked up on the transfer circuit, he could have basically gone to any school in the country when he left FSU. All told, you're talking about five premiere-type QB signees in a five year span, which is realistically as well as you can ever do at that position.

As for 2015, as I've said on here several times, we just aren't a particularly attractive destination for a top QB prospects. Coker likely has the job for the next two years, and both Bateman and Cornwell have good standing to be very difficult to displace for the starting QB job in 2015-2017. With all of that in mind, the fact of the matter is simply that hardly any top QB prospect is going to sign with us right now, knowing that they have will have to wait three or four years before really having a viable chance to take over.

We might sign a top QB recruit in the 2016 class, but even that is going to be somewhat tricky, and you probably won't see us sign another headliner-type until the 2017 class. Until then, we will be relying on Coker, Bateman, and Cornwell, and the QB signees we bring in will likely be more long-term development types.
Great post and I agree. You would like to get a great QB in the 2015 class, but you won't settle for a lower tier QB in that class because you already have 3 great QBs on campus. You don't need another QB who will eventually transfer out for lack of playing time. But you really need to sign a top tier QB in the 2016 class so he has time to develop for the 2017 or 2018 seasons.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Completely changing the subject, but I'm amazed at Auburn's QB recruiting. In 2013, Jeremy Johnson signed with them. 247 ranked him the #14 pro style QB. In 2014, Sean White signed with them; he was ranked the #6 pro style QB. Already this year, they have Tyler Queen (#10 pro style QB) committed. This weekend they host Torrance Gibson, the #1 Dual-Threat QB, who just announced Auburn and Tennessee are tied as his leaders.

They're about to have a QB exodus similar to what we've had.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

Completely changing the subject, but I'm amazed at Auburn's QB recruiting. In 2013, Jeremy Johnson signed with them. 247 ranked him the #14 pro style QB. In 2014, Sean White signed with them; he was ranked the #6 pro style QB. Already this year, they have Tyler Queen (#10 pro style QB) committed. This weekend they host Torrance Gibson, the #1 Dual-Threat QB, who just announced Auburn and Tennessee are tied as his leaders.

I agree on the exodus. But they can still sell Cam for a couple of more years. That will attract guys that somewhat fit the dual-threat mold as long as Malzahn is there.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe, maybe not. Couple of points on that:

(1) Provided Malzahn stays, Auburn will always be a very attractive option for any dual-threat QB prospect, almost regardless of their depth chart situation.

(2) Crowded QB depth charts at schools that run an offense like Auburn tend to not be as great of a disincentive to rising QB prospects because those offenses are much less complex, are far easier to learn on a short-term basis, and are often conducive to letting younger, better players beat out someone who has been in the program for a few years. That's just not the case with traditional pro-style offenses, which place a tremendously high value on experience and repetition. And, of course, chances of a QB injury are much higher in an offense like Auburn runs, so that is an additional path to playing time. Point being, a crowded QB depth chart at a program like Auburn isn't going to scare off top QB recruits in quite the same way it does at a place like Alabama.

Last edited:

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

FWIW, I think Sean White will be the best of the bunch. I expect him to beat out the other QB's next year and Gus will adapt to less zone read and more of a west coast, Petrino type offense. Gus will adapt his offense to fit his best QB. He'll always have good WR and RB's in the mix. It will still be a spread, hurry up offense though.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Why would a pro-style qb go there?:eek2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.