Bergdahl released, but eventually charged...

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Re: Bergdahl released

ive vey always thought execution for desertion was...overkill.
Let's say for the sake of argument:
He left a stateside post(fort, base, etc.) when he was supposed to be ON DUTY, went home or elsewhere to another stateside location and stayed gone for 5 years. He either returned voluntarily, was turned in by someone else, or perhaps was perhaps stopped by a law enforcement officer. Maybe an investigation revealed that he was indeed AWOL from his military post and he was then arrested, then returned to the custody of the military law enforcement agency (MP, AP, SP) and was subsequently charged with desertion. In this particular case, I was agree. He should not be given a death penalty but rather given a term of imprisonment at a military stockade.

However, when a soldier (or sailor, airman, etc.) deserts their assigned post in an area of combat, time of war, etc, (such as was the case of Sgt Bergdahl) then the punishment of death certainly applies and and the offending member deserves and should be sentenced in this manner.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

FYI:

Here are the 5 guys we are releasing (with some restrictions)..... :eek:

—Abdul Haq Wasiq, who served as the Taliban deputy minister of intelligence

—Mullah Norullah Nori, a senior Taliban commander in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif when the Taliban fought U.S. forces in late 2001

—Khairullah Khairkhwa, who served in various Taliban positions including interior minister and had direct ties to Mullah Omar and Osama bin Laden

—Mohammed Nabi, who served as chief of security for the Taliban in Qalat, Afghanistan, and later worked as a radio operator for the Taliban's communications office in Kabul

—Mohammad Fazl, whom Human Rights Watch says could be prosecuted for war crimes for presiding over the mass killing of Shiite Muslims in Afghanistan in 2000 and 2001 as the Taliban sought to consolidate their control over the country.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Obama once again shows his disdain for Congress and the rule of law. He unilaterally does as he pleases, and both the media and lawmakers on the left turn a blind eye to his illegal actions.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al

This story is beginning to stink more and more. Here is a tweet making the rounds that his father supposedly posted then deleted later.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Obama once again shows his disdain for Congress and the rule of law. He unilaterally does as he pleases, and both the media and lawmakers on the left turn a blind eye to his illegal actions.
Thats a bit of a stretch at this time. Left and right at this point are both celebrating and raising valid questions.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Mother and father's press conference a bit ago on CNN - the father said - even though he could - he hasn't talked to his son yet because he's been gone so long it would be like a diver going down so deep he has to come up very slow (paraphrasing).

Anyone know what that meant?

I realize going to war and being held captive is not the same as camping and getting lost for 5 years but still....you'd think they would want to hear each others voices asap.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Mother and father's press conference a bit ago on CNN - the father said - even though he could - he hasn't talked to his son yet because he's been gone so long it would be like a diver going down so deep he has to come up very slow (paraphrasing).

I realize going to war and being held captive is not the same as camping and getting lost for 5 years but still....you'd think they would want to hear each others voices asap.
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, either.

In any case, whenever you do talk, it will be the first time in 5 years. I don't know why either son or dad would not be ready to talk to each other. I don't know how later is better than sooner, in this case, but you never know what some people are thinking.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Even his senior officials say what they did was illegal. They also cite that Obama said he thought the current limits on him to do things like this were unconstitutional so he felt no need to follow them. At least he's consistent in his lawlessness.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I believe that might be on the advice of a psychologist.

As for the tweet by the father, I recall a father of a State Department employee captive back in the Iranian hostage crisis (well into it, over a year into it) who was asked by an American journalist what he would say to Ayatollah Khomeini if he met him, and the father said, "I would tell him, I love you, sir."
I think that (and maybe this) is a case of Stockholm Syndrome by proxy. Family members adopt an irrationally obsessively favorable stance toward the viewpoint of the captors, perhaps in an unconscious attempt to curry favor with the captors and help bring about a release of the loved one. I was struck by that comment at the time and Bob Bergdahl's tweet, appearance (Muzh beard) and speaking to his son in Farsi at a press conference all seem to support this interpretation. gmart is right. Odd family.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Even his senior officials say what they did was illegal. They also cite that Obama said he thought the current limits on him to do things like this were unconstitutional so he felt no need to follow them. At least he's consistent in his lawlessness.
"Necessity." Ever the tyrant's plea.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.