Bergdahl released, but eventually charged...

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Re: Bergdahl released

By JIM KUHNHENNWASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House has apologized to key lawmakers for not notifying them in advance about the exchange of five Taliban detainees for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl (boh BURG'-dahl).
Sens. Dianne Feinstein of California and Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, the top Democrat and Republican respectively on the Senate Select committee on Intelligence, said White House officials called them Monday to say the lack of notification had been an oversight. Feinstein said she received a call from Deputy National Security Adviser Tony Blinken.
The White House did not immediately comment on the calls.
The White House damage control comes as Republican lawmakers accused the White House of putting U.S. service men and women at risk by releasing the five top Taliban members being held in Guantanamo in exchange for Bergdahl.

Does this President think he is above the law? What kind of example is he setting for the youth of America? Is it just comply with the laws you want to like me?
I'm 23, I would assume I'm still considered the youth of America. And I can tell you I don't have a problem with complying with laws. However there are laws on the books I just don't agree with and I choose not to follow them. I think the prohibition of Marijuana would be a good example. Or speeding, there's this highway that connects rural Skiatook,Ok to Tulsa, and the speed limit is a lowsy 50 mph, I choose to ignore it and go about 65-70. But not because the president can't follow the laws, I just feel like I'm wasting time..

But ya, this 'prisoners exchange' is a bunch of bullsh. How many men died looking for Bergdahl? How many more men died looking for those five lieutenant Taliban leaders? Furthermore, how many more men will die now that they are free again? We made an exchange of one scumbag deserter for 5 ACTIVE Taliban leaders, these are leaders from the 2002 Taliban, not the reduced to rubble 2014 Taliban leaders. Absolutely disgusting and infuriating.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Must be somethin' in them 'taters up in Idaho...Mom doesn't seem to be too god-awful, but Dad is a walking, talking freak show. Like Father, like son. Is that whole town gone Muslim? Why do they want to celebrate this guy if he is going to be tried for desertion (and I find it difficult to imagine that he won't be)? Does that make him a hero?
This crap is just getting worse.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I disagree. You bring him home if you can, if the price is worth it. By returning these particular men to the battlefield with the war still ongoing, you are virtually guaranteeing that other American soldiers will be brought home in a casket.
They been at Gitmo for five years and no charges have been filed - what are we to do, detain them forever? If there was evidence they were bad dudes, then charge them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I disagree. You bring him home if you can, if the price is worth it. By returning these particular men to the battlefield with the war still ongoing, you are virtually guaranteeing that other American soldiers will be brought home in a casket.

Ultimately, this is not about Bergdahl and what he did or didn't do. It's about the price the Administration paid, the fact that they ignored the requirements set forth in the law--requirements that were designed to prevent this very kind of act--and the fact that we took this action at a time when the war is still ongoing. This is not a post-war prisoner transfer.

if i am not mistaken, they are being held in qatar for a year. also, combat troops are being pulled out of afghanistan by the end of the year.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL

if i am not mistaken, they are being held in qatar for a year. also, combat troops are being pulled out of afghanistan by the end of the year.
I believe there are going to be 10k American troops still there in 2015 and then 2500 there in 2016. Plus, I am sure no one here would be surprised to see one of, if not all 5, release a video by the end of the year of their presence in Afghanistan.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I heard Secretary Kerry arguing this weekend that "we don't leave Americans behind." Well, okay, but the price paid is the question. If the Taliban had demanded (an extreme example to make the point) that the US dismantle the Department of Defense, most would argue that the price was too high. In this case, I think most Americans look at this price (5 particularly bad Talibs) as too high.
Ultimately, this is not about Bergdahl and what he did or didn't do. It's about the price the Administration paid, the fact that they ignored the requirements set forth in the law--requirements that were designed to prevent this very kind of act--and the fact that we took this action at a time when the war is still ongoing. This is not a post-war prisoner transfer.
Actually, prisoner of war exchanges have been going on for a long time, including exchanges while the war is still going on. Heck, we (the Allies) exchanged a few thousand prisoners with the Nazis during World War II.
Mercy ships

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

"no man left behind" is an overtly honorable expression of a weakness to be exploited by the dishonorable

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Heard on the radio that Bergdahl is back with his unit.
That's got to be awkward for him and those around him.
I still haven't heard anything about Bergdahl being charged, which this case seems to demand.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

According to this story, not back with his unit (no way that wouldn't be big trouble), but back to active duty status. Actually, just how much he actually works is another matter, also. That will be at his supetvisor's discretion, also, of course.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-bowe-bergdahl-returned-to-regular-duty-20140714-story.html

Investigation of his actions is still yet to come. Army refuses to say if he has spoken to his parents.
If he's back on active duty but hasn't spoken with his parents, something is weird there.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Active duty status doesn't necessarily mean actively performing his pre-"capture" duty. He could very well be active duty picking up litter and mowing lawns.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

According to this story, not back with his unit (no way that wouldn't be big trouble), but back to active duty status.
Good catch. Not "his" unit, in the sense of the unit he deserted, but a unit.
He technically never left Active Duty status. While with his Taliban hosts, his status was "DUSTWUN) (Duty Status, Whereabouts Unknown, the status normally used for tracking POWs), then medical status, then convalescent leave, not back to a normal duty status, with Army Forces-Northern Command which coincidentally is at the same base where his medical/psych treatment was/is (Fort Sam Houston in San Anton).
Major General Kenneth R. Dahl will be looking into his desertion and helping determine if a court martial is warranted. The results of that investigation will be interesting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.