Link: Child’s Death in Hot Car Leads to Unusual Murder Charge

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
This was posted a while back. Is the brother negligent for leaving his sister asleep in the high school parking lot and she later died as a result of not being able to unlock the doors?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...amily-sues-bmw-after-teen-dies-locked-n100881

This is a hard one. For one, he shouldn't have left her in the car to sleep. It is dangerous to leave a 14 year old girl sleeping in a car, too many other things could happen other than the heat issue.

This is why you shouldn't leave anyone in the car that isn't responsible enough to be in the car with it turned on. This excludes kids, a child should not be left in a car period..even with the car running. It is a big pet peeve of mine.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Which is why I stated "if I were king" - I know many feel differently. I believe there's a clear line between an accident when driving the negligence of leaving a loaded firearms some where or locking your child in the car. I don't care how sorrowful the man is, he killed his child.

It's funny how most neuroscience as well as the basic assumptions about human nature shared by most Western religion refute what you're saying.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I guess I just don't know what the point is. If it was an accident, then they are going to punish themselves for the rest of their days. If you charge them with negligence, what do they get? A fine? Probation? Six months in jail? It just all seems so tragic and pointless to involve the state at that juncture. I guess every case is different, but I think I'd have to go with a no-prosecution if I was the DA.

Yes every case is different. There are a lot of what ifs. In the end, they are being irresponsible. And because of their irresponsibility, they caused a death. Of course, they will suffer with the loss of their child...but they are still responsible for the child's death. This is a death that could have been completely avoided.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
But they aren't being irresponsible in any conscious way. They didn't, for instance, leave a child in a car while they ran into the store, and then have something terrible happen.

In these cases, you have a parent who intends to do something--usually drop the child off at daycare--believes they did it, and then finds out later that they didn't. I mentioned drowning earlier. Just about every case of child drowning is preventable. It doesn't take long, and pools are deathtraps. So you don't latch the gate, or you step out of the room to answer the phone, and your child dies. Now, I am sure someone could say that you are being irresponsible, that you should have been watching the child at every moment. Certainly, the death was preventable. Did you commit a criminal act? Not in my mind. Even negligence generally requires some sort of conscious decision.

I understand and see where you are coming from. We could come up with a bunch of "situations" to determine if there was negligence or not. There are so many factors and this is where every situation is different.

This will just have to be something we agree to disagree on.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought I read earlier today that the father returned to the car a lunch, which would knock a huge hole in the already improbable alibi of the father. My day has been hectic. Did I mis-hear that?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If I did what this guy did, I'd be asking for the death penalty immediately! No lawyer needed! No trial needed! Don't waste the tax payers money for my negligence! If they could not accommodate me, then I'd have to take matters into my own hands. I could never forgive myself. If he was a loving father, I can only imagine how he feels. Was he a workaholic? Was he overworked to the point of forgetting that his son was in the back seat. Or, did he have evil, selfish motives.

However, I have worked with a person who was in an important leadership position that drove home one day/night from work and forgot to turn his car engine off. He worked unreal hours as a dedicated professional going above and beyond the call of duty. He gets up the next morning and finds he has no gas in the car and wants to know who had been driving his car the previous night. He asked his wife which son/daughter had driven his car and didn't refuel the car.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
If I did what this guy did, I'd be asking for the death penalty immediately! No lawyer needed! No trial needed! Don't waste the tax payers money for my negligence! If they could not accommodate me, then I'd have to take matters into my own hands. I could never forgive myself. If he was a loving father, I can only imagine how he feels. Was he a workaholic? Was he overworked to the point of forgetting that his son was in the back seat. Or, did he have evil, selfish motives.

However, I have worked with a person who was in an important leadership position that drove home one day/night from work and forgot to turn his car engine off. He worked unreal hours as a dedicated professional going above and beyond the call of duty. He gets up the next morning and finds he has no gas in the car and wants to know who had been driving his car the previous night. He asked his wife which son/daughter had driven his car and didn't refuel the car.
Thank goodness his car wasn't in a garage.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I thought I read earlier today that the father returned to the car a lunch, which would knock a huge hole in the already improbable alibi of the father. My day has been hectic. Did I mis-hear that?

Yes, they said he ate breakfast with the child. Then drove half a mile to work and went in, the child was left in the car. He went back out at lunch to put something in the car. Went back into work and then left work after 4pm. It was then he pulled into a parking lot and "discovered" what happened.

here is a link to the details.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/25/justice/georgia-toddler-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I heard that as well. Something smells about this one.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I actually did precisely that a few years back. I was coming home so exhausted that I sometimes wondered how I made it. It was a safety risk and a public hazard, no doubt, and a contributing reason as to why I eventually got out of that line of work. Woke up one morning and the car was empty with the keys still in the ignition - I had to replace the fuel pump because it had burned out.

But I don't think I would have forgotten my child or even had my child in the car with me when I was in that state.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I heard that as well. Something smells about this one.
exactly. Someone, maybe dad or not, probably hurt the kid prior to the car issue; and dad used the child in the car routine to hide something else. It's sad either way and the dad is one of the lowest life forms on the planet either way.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Now they say that "someone" searched on his work computer to see how long it would take for an animal to die in the car? This is getting crazy.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
All your shrugging has added some quality content to the discussion. Thanks.
I'm shrugging off someone who wants to argue facts vs an opinion. I don't feel the need to address it otherwise.

I suspect somehow you'll survive if some posts on a NS discussion don't change the world.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Now they say that "someone" searched on his work computer to see how long it would take for an animal to die in the car? This is getting crazy.
I originally thought that this was a ruse to cover up some other abuse. Now, I wish it had have been.

It's looking more and more like this sick bastard planned it out and left his own flesh and blood to die in excruciating fashion. This makes me ill.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.