Link: Big Mouth Spurrier carries it a bit further...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Spurrier is content, and so are the Gamecock fans, with having just "good" teams. So, that's what they have. He doesn't want to put in the effort to have the best, just better than what they've had in the past.

That attitude wouldn't cut it at Bama. That's why he went to So. Carolina, instead of a big-time program. He's only willing to work just so hard, anymore, so he has to disparage Saban, who is willing to give his all.

As opposed to the author, I haven't found Spurrier "funny" for quite some time.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Even though we have had the Top Classes in recruiting, common sense should tell ya, those classes don't always pan out on the football field, cause some of those Top Players never see the field, never makes it to Bama or transfers before ever seeing the field..Some of our best players were 3*'s that were better than their rankings coming out of high school..While it's nice to have the Top Classes..Some of those players simply doesn't pan out..

Last edited:

Swanny

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2004
Didn't Texas have a run of top recruiting classes not too many years ago? How many conference and national titles did they win? Oh, I forgot. Colt got hurt.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Didn't Texas have a run of top recruiting classes not too many years ago? How many conference and national titles did they win? Oh, I forgot. Colt got hurt.
A better argument is USC under Pete Carroll and I think he only got one NC. Carroll is considered one of the top coaches in the NFL. I guess Stevie thinks he could win it all anywhere when teams get #1 recruiting classes. You would think that someone that has been doing college football as long as he has he would know it does not work that way.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Poor form by Coach Spurrier - I wish he would just shut up sometimes.

I don't see the Gamecocks as good this season without Shaw and Clowney.

You guys can live vicariously though UF when we play them, if you want. ;)

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
A better argument is USC under Pete Carroll and I think he only got one NC. Carroll is considered one of the top coaches in the NFL. I guess Stevie thinks he could win it all anywhere when teams get #1 recruiting classes. You would think that someone that has been doing college football as long as he has he would know it does not work that way.
Spurrier doesn't believe his own words for one minute. He's just compelled to take shots at other coaches/programs. It deflects from his own lack of championships over the last decade+. Spurrier thinks he's cute, and the media plays along. He gets way more leeway than any other coach would spewing such. I,m so glad that we don't have a Head Coach with a smart-Alec mouth.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Poor form by Coach Spurrier - I wish he would just shut up sometimes.

I don't see the Gamecocks as good this season without Shaw and Clowney.

You guys can live vicariously though UF when we play them, if you want. ;)
You know Bazza after all of Spurrier's comments here recently, I would normally pull for you guys to handle USC. But the only way Bama gets to hush him up is in the SEC championship game so I would like to see them win enough to get to Atlanta!!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You gotta wonder how such an awesome coach somehow managed to lose to Mike DuBose TWICE in eight weeks - once at home and once at a neutral site. And if not for a fall by Calvin Hall in 1998, he'd have lost three straight to Dubious.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In 1995, Steve Spurrier had a team firing on all cylinders that he had completely compiled himself. This team was favored to win the Fiesta Bowl national championship.

It lost, 62-24, a margin of 38 points.

That same year, an upstart college coach in his FIRST FBS LEVEL GAME, with a team on a crippling probation that was the number two program in the state played Nebraska and lost by forty.

The coach's name was Nick Saban, the team was Michigan State. Yet he lost only by two points more than the guy who had all the big recruits and was in his sixth year with a stable program. And keep in mind that Nebraska took a knee rather than run up the score deep in Florida territory at the end.

Saban was better in his first game than Spurrier was after ten years head coaching experience in the USFL/Duke/Florida.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You know Bazza after all of Spurrier's comments here recently, I would normally pull for you guys to handle USC. But the only way Bama gets to hush him up is in the SEC championship game so I would like to see them win enough to get to Atlanta!!!!
I understand Delta and don't blame you for feeling that way. It's going to be a long hard fought season so let's see what happens.

Quarterback

Suspended
May 14, 2014
Steve, for all is smack, is still in the top 1% as a coach. He knows that most people fail to look at SC's record before he arrived when ranking coaches and I think it bothers him. My thoughts are that he would not have won as many NC's here as coach Saban, but I am not sure how much better SC would have been with coach Saban. Turning around a century of losing has some built in forces working against you. They are the best coaches in the league, hands down imo.

He's a loud mouth, but what's new?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.