*** DT Daron Payne Commits to Alabama ***

shaskell

Feb 12, 2014
Re: 2015 DT Daron Payne

I only watched these two against Buckhorn, which was a mismatch, but my off the cuff thought is that Payne compares to Eric Kerley and Mixon compares to Brandon Brooks. So while it would be great to see either or both at Alabama, my initial impressions, based primarily on Payne being blocked when I paid attention straight up by a smaller white dude and Mixon scoring against out of position safeties running a 4.7, is that each will have a transition period before thriving in a top-level college program. That said Buckhorn could not get anything going so it is possible that Payne forced them out of their plan. I did not stare at him the whole game.

TideV

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 18, 2005
Birmingham, Alabama

My son knows Payne at Shades Valley and says he thinks he may follow Mixon to MSU. He really liked it there. Don't take that as solid, though.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

My son knows Payne at Shades Valley and says he thinks he may follow Mixon to MSU. He really liked it there. Don't take that as solid, though.
Is Mixon truly the pivot point around which Payne`s recruitment revolves? Would really like to hear from someone in the know on this one (BET? ).

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Is Mixon truly the pivot point around which Payne`s recruitment revolves? Would really like to hear from someone in the know on this one (BET? ).
I don't think so, although there is obviously some persuasive influence between the two.

Frankly, I think MSU's recruiting pipe dreams will go up in smoke, just like they almost always do under Mullen (see Leo Lewis' commit to Ole Miss yesterday for a recent re-affirmation). Crazier things have happened, to be sure, but I'm not too worried at this juncture about Payne leaving the state.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Not one of Payne's finest moments at the all star game. At the end of the first half there was some jabber jawing between him and the O line man and Daron appears to elbow punch him in the facemask and push him backwards - ejected from the game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Not one of Payne's finest moments at the all star game. At the end of the first half there was some jabber jawing between him and the O line man and Daron appears to elbow punch him in the facemask and push him backwards - ejected from the game.
An immature move for sure but from what I have heard he is a good kid. I'm glad this lesson will be taught now instead of later on (hopefully as a Bama player).

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Re: 2015 DT Daron Payne Updates

He seemed very low key after the ejection while he watched from the sidelines. He is a great athlete and honestly, the MS players were jawing all day and I am surprised there wasn't more punches thrown.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Payne should be the next "domino" to fall in recruiting, as he is announcing Jan 2. I guess the only "real" competition right now would be Auburn...but with it being the dead period I would be SHOCKED of any other result other than him ending up in Tuscaloosa.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

DP's commitment day is one week from today.

Anybody have any updates....? :cool:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Payne should be the next "domino" to fall in recruiting, as he is announcing Jan 2. I guess the only "real" competition right now would be Auburn...but with it being the dead period I would be SHOCKED of any other result other than him ending up in Tuscaloosa.
The "dead period" means absolutely nothing to awbern.......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.