ATH Demetris Robertson Updates (Former 'Bama Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Not to be negative, but good luck staying in Stanford, if you can barely get the SAT score to get in there. One of my good friends graduated from there, and he said in almost all classes, they give a certain percentage of the students certain grades, with about 20% in each class getting a D or F..... and he'll be going up again students that are as good in academics, as he is in football. Unless he wants to major in PE or something, which has no weight really in the business world....and he'll be spending most of his free minutes of the day with a tutor trying to make him survive academically.

Stanford is also known to have almost no good looking women, this is no joke. My buddy that went there, got pretty much straight A's, but he regrets going there because he said there were almost no good looking women.

I live in Cali in the meca of models and female hotties on the west side of Los Angeles, and saw a plethora of good looking, friendly ladies at the Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa two years ago. Not that good looking ladies are everything, but when you are 19 years old, it certainly counts.

He should certainly keep these two things in consideration.

And how many national championships has Stanford participated in lately?

Bama will most likely win a National Championship at least every other year or so, with or without him (at least in the Saban era!).... but just saying.

All those players in the Nation Championship are celebrities to millions of people now, just because of that one game.

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm about to go on a soap box on this. First I love the University of Alabama. I went there and make as many trips as i can to go back. My family has gone there and will continue to go there. Having said that , I have an opportunity to go to Penn, Tulane, Cornell, etc right now based off my grades since I came back from Afghanistan. I also can go back to UA. My first choice is Penn ( #1 Business School in the entire country) If I'm blessed enough to get that option, I'm gone. You can't look at things from a 4 to 5 year ,but a lifetime. Stanford , Harvard , Penn, Cornell, and etc are life changing opportunities. He might get into the NFL and have a four year career then what ? Also , look at TO, Scottie Pippen, Mike Tyson, Wareen Sapp, what do they all have in common ? They made bad business decisions. Now they are struggling to get by. Andrew Luck has a Degree from stanford, when his playing days are done. He can make two six figure or more paying jobs at the same time. One as an analyst and the second owning his own Architect Firm. Now Emmons is struggling to get into Bama, does that also mean he's going to struggle to stay here ? Robinson has a better chance to stay at Stanford because his foundation is a lot better than Emmons. Also, they get tudors and study hall just like Bama. Also, 98% of their players graduate. You can get into any door with that kind of degree.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Totally agree. A degree from Stamford has a lot of cache. Don't blame the kid in the least for wanting to wait a few days to make a decision which will affect the next 3-4 years of his life. That being said, I'd love for him to come to Bama.
I don't think this kid knew his potential until he transferred schools and got hooked in with people who showed him how well-rounded he was. The Stanford and Notre Dame stuff is a direct result of that. Kid would be a beast at ND or Stanford.
Agree 100%. The :conf2: in my other post mainly was for questioning if waiting past NSD would hurt him in coming to Bama if he chose us. If this kid is smart enough to go to Stanford, loves it and it is his choice, I wish him nothing but the best! A degree from Stanford is a WIN-WIN for a smart student athlete!

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Not to be negative, but good luck staying in Stanford, if you can barely get the SAT score to get in there. One of my good friends graduated from there, and he said in almost all classes, they give a certain percentage of the students certain grades, with about 20% in each class getting a D or F..... and he'll be going up again students that are as good in academics, as he is in football. Unless he wants to major in PE or something, which has no weight really in the business world....and he'll be spending most of his free minutes of the day with a tutor trying to make him survive academically.

Stanford is also known to have almost no good looking women, this is no joke. My buddy that went there, got pretty much straight A's, but he regrets going there because he said there were almost no good looking women.

I live in Cali in the meca of models and female hotties on the west side of Los Angeles, and saw a plethora of good looking, friendly ladies at the Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa two years ago. Not that good looking ladies are everything, but when you are 19 years old, it certainly counts.

He should certainly keep these two things in consideration.

And how many national championships has Stanford participated in lately?

Bama will most likely win a National Championship at least every other year or so, with or without him (at least in the Saban era!).... but just saying.

All those players in the Nation Championship are celebrities to millions of people now, just because of that one game.

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for the double post, but I have to give this a post a HUGE :rolleyes:. There are plenty of young men who think with their brain and not the thing in their pants. Your post really irks me. #sorrynotsorry

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Just saw some Notre Dame guy who writes for Scout say on twitter that this represents the 3rd cancelled official visit to Bama by a recruit in the last 3 weeks...

Not sure whether he's trying to make somethin' outta nuthin...

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Just saw some Notre Dame guy who writes for Scout say on twitter that this represents the 3rd cancelled official visit to Bama in the last 3 weeks...

Not sure whether he's trying to make somethin' outta nuthin...
I had not heard about the cancellation but would not doubt it and don't think he is coming to Bama. In this article he says some good things about Bama but you can tell by the "maybe the schools not a fit for me" line he is going somewhere else. He says he knows we have some silent commits.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Robertson-talks-Tide-predicts-2-more-titles-under-Saban-43307080

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Or Georgia Tech, best academic school in the South IMO..
That explains his interest in Georgia Tech, got it now. My son is a manager on the GT football team and keeps telling me about Robertson and how Tech has a great chance of beating Alabama for Robertson. All making sense now. :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That explains his interest in Georgia Tech, got it now. My son is a manager on the GT football team and keeps telling me about Robertson and how Tech has a great chance of beating Alabama for Robertson. All making sense now. :)
tech is a very good school. does your son work with randy rhino? he is the team/athletic department chiropractor. he is a really nice guy. when i worked there, one of the benefits was being able to visit his office in the athletic department. he helped me get over a couple of running injuries.

he played d-back for tech back in the early 70s and played pro ball in canada for a few years.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Tech`s obviously an excellent school. Like Stanford, wouldn`t blame a kid for going there.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I'm about to go on a soap box on this. First I love the University of Alabama. I went there and make as many trips as i can to go back. My family has gone there and will continue to go there. Having said that , I have an opportunity to go to Penn, Tulane, Cornell, etc right now based off my grades since I came back from Afghanistan. I also can go back to UA. My first choice is Penn ( #1 Business School in the entire country) If I'm blessed enough to get that option, I'm gone. You can't look at things from a 4 to 5 year ,but a lifetime. Stanford , Harvard , Penn, Cornell, and etc are life changing opportunities. He might get into the NFL and have a four year career then what ? Also , look at TO, Scottie Pippen, Mike Tyson, Wareen Sapp, what do they all have in common ? They made bad business decisions. Now they are struggling to get by. Andrew Luck has a Degree from stanford, when his playing days are done. He can make two six figure or more paying jobs at the same time. One as an analyst and the second owning his own Architect Firm. Now Emmons is struggling to get into Bama, does that also mean he's going to struggle to stay here ? Robinson has a better chance to stay at Stanford because his foundation is a lot better than Emmons. Also, they get tudors and study hall just like Bama. Also, 98% of their players graduate. You can get into any door with that kind of degree.
I appreciate your post. My son's first choice is Princeton of all places and we really want him to stay south. Florida and Alabama are in his top four so we still have a chance for that. I will just have to accept the fact that it is his choice and I want what is best for him and not me.

I am glad these kids are putting a lot of thought beyond the football aspect of it all. I coach kids that are seniors and they are still waiting on final word about being accepted to their school of choice for out of state schools. It is a tough choice for most of these kids.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I can't blame a guy for choosing a school due to academics or what not (though if you can barely make it in, that could be cause for concern). However, there's a lot of evidence that going to an elite college doesn't necessarily translate to earning more in the future. It is ironic that people that pay their way to some of these schools, are quite possibly making a bad business decision. A quick search produced this:
"To appreciate the researchers' latest findings, you need to understand why the original study, which has been cited repeatedly over the years, caused such a commotion. In the first study, the economists noted that students who graduated from elite schools like Swarthmore College and University of Pennsylvania earned higher salaries than students from less selective schools. This conclusion was no different from conventional wisdom.

Here, however, is what was explosive: Dale and Krueger concluded that students, who were accepted into elite schools, but went to less selective institutions, earned salaries just as high as Ivy League grads. For instance, if a teenager gained entry to Harvard, but ended up attending Penn State, his or her salary prospects would be the same.

In the pair's newest study, the findings are even more amazing. Applicants, who shared similar high SAT scores with Ivy League applicants could have been rejected from the elite schools that they applied to and yet they still enjoyed similar average salaries as the graduates from elite schools. In the study, the better predictor of earnings was the average SAT scores of the most selective school a teenager applied to and not the typical scores of the institution the student attended
."

In other words? What matters most is how intelligent you are, not what school you go to. No, going to Penn doesn't necessarily lead to more success. Of course you want to know where you are going has the right classes, and can provide an adequate education, but one of the first lessons people should learn when embarking on a career is to appreciate the value of what they are getting.

The fact is, if someone chooses the right career path, and applies them-self, it is of very little importance if they go to Stanford, Alabama, or Penn. For those that do not get a full ride, then economics should be the determining factor as long as the proper classes are available. Now, cost of attendance is not a factor for everyone, but I simply don't buy the notion that someone is going to have more success in life because they chose Stanford over Alabama.

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
If the kid is all about school then I don't understand why he even wants to play football in the first place. Does he not know what playing football and taking hits to the head can do to his brain? Kenny Stabler for instance? Why risk it? Just go for the easier route to millions as he must be smart to even worry about an Alabama education vs a Stanford or Georgia Tech education. He does not need a football scholarship being from Georgia to attend Tech does he?

Playing football is a lot of hard work and dedication to be successful and if he is as smart as most believe he is, and he is willing to go through all that work and dedication to be successful in football what better place to go than Bama where he can win championships and get prepared for millions in the NFL?

I understand Stanford's allure for its education value and his only chance to go there is with a full scholarship playing football. Don't blame him at all for waiting to see if that is an option, but Tech??? Don't understand Georgia Tech over an Alabama football scholarship at all. Going to Tech to play football does not seem worth while if an education is his main goal. Why risk the hits?? ;)

You would think the recognition of playing for Alabama along with a degree would open up many doors of opportunity as well. I suppose we should all be so lucky to have such a tough decision to make. Good luck young man!! :)

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
I'm not sure what the fella plans to study in school but if he is considering Stanford and Georgia Tech those are two of the highest ranked in engineering. He would be wise to go to either over Alabama if he is serious about engineering. If he is more serious about football than academics you would think Stanford and Alabama would be a priority over GT.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Rest assured that the coaches have been in touch with him. He knows we want him and could have his masters degree from an awesome program if he stays 4 years here. He would go to the league a couple of years and retire early with a few million in the bank. I dunno...we're a pretty attractive choice even if he is academically motivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.