JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
2014 Previews: Projected SEC standings and top 25
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
July 22nd, 2014 02:31 AM

Projected 2014 SEC standings SEC East         SEC West       Team   Overall SEC   Team   Overall SEC 1. Georgia   12-1 8-1   1. Alabama   11-1 7-1 2. South Carolina   11-1 7-1   2. LSU   10-2 6-2 3. Florida   7-5 4-4   3. Auburn […]

Read More Here

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO, FSU will probably win it all again this year assuming Winston stays healthy and out of central booking. I got us dropping two games again this year.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I was under that impression as well. Depending on what site you visit I've seen that number at also.
Awfully unproven defensive backfield, too, and if the Georgia quarterback play is what we saw in the bowl game, we'll all be happy to play them in the Dome.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I thought Ga has to replace 4 of their O-line? If so they need more than just a QB.
Experience ( Career OL Starts Returning ) is a better indicator than just OL Starters Returning. UGA is ranked #81 with 54.

SC and *u are tied at #11 with 113. Bama is #107 with 37.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
wow someone picks against the favorite in the east (USCe). still I think USCe has it since UGA has to travel to both Columbias and has to play a Florida team probably playing for their coach's job (which is always scary).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just curious about Georgia's 12-1 and 8-1 record. They only play 8 SEC games right?

Or if you are picking them to beat Bama in the SECCG, wouldn't that make Bama's SEC record 11-2 and 7-2?

Just confused that you have Georgia playing one more game than anybody else.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I also think Georgia will be the best in the East. I sure hope Bama is the best in the West.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
wow someone picks against the favorite in the east (USCe). still I think USCe has it since UGA has to travel to both Columbias and has to play a Florida team probably playing for their coach's job (which is always scary).
Yeah, I think Florida takes the cocktail party this year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I know it's going to be the recurring theme of this thread, but I just can't at all get behind the pick of Georgia as the #1 team in the country. Always love the work, Jess, and certainly respect the opinion, but I just think you're wildly off the mark with that one.

Basic overview of Georgia is as follows: 8-5 team a year ago (which included two wins in overtime), having to replace a four-year starter at quarterback, with an offensive line also breaking in a new rebuild; defense has talent but needs turn potential-into-performance under a new DC; in a weak division, but OOC schedule is pretty tough and does pick up Auburn on the inter-divisional schedule.

To me, that's just not at all the basic build of a true national championship contender, much less a pre-season number one when you have a defending national champion like Florida State who will walk into the Final Four without breaking a sweat in the first thirteen weeks of the season.

Granted, I do think Georgia will improve from a year ago, and I do think they are the prohibitive favorite in the SEC East, which admittedly looks to be a weak division. Still, even adjusting for divisional weakness, I still see that as a huge jump to consider them a real contender on the national stage. It's a possibility on some level, sure, but to imagine all of the things that would need to happen for that to come to fruition -- Mason being a standout, the OL coming together, Pruitt working wonders with the defense, injury luck and luck in close games -- that's just a bridge too far for me.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Georgia notwithstanding, a few other thoughts on some teams:

Considering that 12-1 would likely get them into the Final Four, FSU is practically a lock. Even with what they lost a year ago, they return a massive amount of talent, had another great recruiting class, and the ACC is an even bigger joke than it was a year ago. FSU not making the Final Four would be the biggest surprise we've seen in CFB in ages.

I'd place South Carolina a lot lower, and I think that will be a team that looks to hang on due to divisional weakness more than anything else. Losing Clowney hurts, Spurrier will botch the QB situation on some level, and I think talent level has fallen a bit overall at SoCar compared with the past two years. Pretty tough schedule, too, because they pick up A&M and Auburn out of the West, and must play at Clemson to close the year. I have a hard time seeing them get much above 8-4.

Baylor could be the surprise team nationally, despite all of the high talk about Oklahoma. Petty will have a huge year, and that's a really weak conference at this point. It sounds crazy, but is that a team that could find a way to an 11-1 finish and a spot in the Final Four? I think it's a legitimate possibility.

Believe Michigan State will plummet quite a bit, probably to the bottom end of the top 25 and perhaps even out of it entirely. They lose a lot of the core of that 2013 team, and they just don't recruit anywhere near well enough to simply reload. Youthful growing pains and a punchless offense are tough pills to swallow even with a weak conference, and the schedule is actually a lot tougher than you would expect from a team from the B1G (Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn State). I think Connor Cook will really need a big breakout year for them to stay in or near the top 10.

Pac-12 is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Arguably no one great team, but there is a lot of quality depth in that conference, and several teams legitimately in contention. Not sure how it shakes out, but that may be the most entertaining conference race all season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Considering that 12-1 would likely get them into the Final Four, FSU is practically a lock. Even with what they lost a year ago, they return a massive amount of talent, had another great recruiting class, and the ACC is an even bigger joke than it was a year ago. FSU not making the Final Four would be the biggest surprise we've seen in CFB in ages.

IDK but im not completely sold on FSU as a lock. yes they should be given the benefit of the doubt of getting there but there are some games that may come down to gamewinning drives for them.

Im giving them the OKie Lite game but Notre Dame could be scary but my biggest concern is Louisville catching them and the possibility of playing a vastly improved UNC team that no one seems to talk about in the ACC championship, and of course florida. bottom line is if FSU loses at all they probably wont make the 4 team playoff over a 2 loss SEC or Pac 12 team.

not saying they will but not counting them as a lock due to so many seasons that they found a way to stub their toe.

gohogs14

Suspended
Jan 27, 2012
Hard to see us going 0-8 again. Surely one of them will go our way after being close to getting 6 wins last year. Schedule doesn't do us any favors though.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
If there are only 14 teams better than Wisconsin, then CFB is in trouble. There are only TWO 1-A teams, Utah State with 7 and MO with 8, that return fewer starters than does Wisconsin with 9. Single digits in this area does not bode well for a team.

Freshman WR Chris Jones of Baltimore, who failed to qualify at Wisconsin, just joined Phillip Ely at Toledo. He was expected to contribute immediately for the Badgers.

Potrykus article

Last edited:
I think you are underestimating what Murray was to that team. They get Gurley and Marshall back. The defense needs toughness, I'm not sure Pruitt can give that to them, though they have a lot of talent.

Confusing pick, but it's very interesting. UGA ought to be good though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I think you are underestimating what Murray was to that team. They get Gurley and Marshall back. The defense needs toughness, I'm not sure Pruitt can give that to them, though they have a lot of talent.

Confusing pick, but it's very interesting. UGA ought to be good though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Remember ut in 1998 with T$$ Martin. The year after Manning left.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.