You want $14.00/hour for unskilled work? OK, please meet your replacement...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Unexpected item in bagging area is the main one. Or items too light to register that you put them in a bag. 9 times out of 10 we have to call over someone to unlock the system after it gives us one of these errors 2 or 3 times. My wife always wants to go to self-checkout because "it's faster" and then I see 4 or 5 people that would've been in line behind us at other registers go walking out the door.

The fact that all the Walmarts in this area always have someone waiting to fix these problems tells me I'm far from the only one that has to deal with it. The Winn-Dixie here pulled all the self-checkouts back out of the store after similar issues.
I get those every now and then but I'll be honest. I rarely shop at Wal Mart so the ones I use are at places like Kroger and other non Wal Mart stores. The rare times I do have to go in Wal Mart, regardless of whether I use self checkout or get checked out the old fashion way. It is inefficient and time wasted. But outside of Wal Mart. I rarely have issues in the self checkout.

I'm pretty good friends with a Kroger store manager in my area. He said those concerned about job loss shouldn't worry as much about the self check outs as they should the online grocery ordering and pickup service that is getting more and more popular with customers. Not all Kroger stores offer this but the newer "Kroger Market Place" stores offer online ordering and drive through pickup. There are still some kinks that need to be worked out but he said as the system gets refined he believes that will ultimately be what starts truly eliminating the cashier position in grocery stores.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm pretty good friends with a Kroger store manager in my area. He said those concerned about job loss shouldn't worry as much about the self check outs as they should the online grocery ordering and pickup service that is getting more and more popular with customers. Not all Kroger stores offer this but the newer "Kroger Market Place" stores offer online ordering and drive through pickup. There are still some kinks that need to be worked out but he said as the system gets refined he believes that will ultimately be what starts truly eliminating the cashier position in grocery stores.
Wal-Mart does, too. Haven't tried it, yet. The one time my wife and I were going to the earliest pickup time was two three days away.

Anytime I can order something online and either sit in my car and have it brought to me in the parking lot or just walk in and get it from the customer service desk, I'm going to. Maybe it's lazy. But I do know it's much less stressful.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Wal-Mart does, too. Haven't tried it, yet. The one time my wife and I were going to the earliest pickup time was two three days away.

Anytime I can order something online and either sit in my car and have it brought to me in the parking lot or just walk in and get it from the customer service desk, I'm going to. Maybe it's lazy. But I do know it's much less stressful.
Yeah, I agree. It saves me from walking through a store and wasting an hour to hour and a half. It also keeps me from buying things I don't have on my list simply because I walked by it and it caught my eye. But as my friend said, it still has its kinks that need to be worked out. But once those get worked out and the system gets more refined. Expect A LOT of people to start using it more and more.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I get those every now and then but I'll be honest. I rarely shop at Wal Mart so the ones I use are at places like Kroger and other non Wal Mart stores. The rare times I do have to go in Wal Mart, regardless of whether I use self checkout or get checked out the old fashion way. It is inefficient and time wasted. But outside of Wal Mart. I rarely have issues in the self checkout.

Shipt people are crawling all over my Publix every time I'm there, which is at least once a week. I'm cool with doing my own shopping. I don't want someone else picking out my stuff.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My wife does the grocery shopping but I can't see her using a shopping service or having the store shop for her. I don't think I'd do it, either.

My big concern would be not remembering something I need when ordering. There are thousands of things in a grocery store and I may not remember I need it until I see it on the shelf. Then I don't know how selective the shopper will be in picking out the items. How much of a date check will they do? Or comparing prices of different sizes of the same product.

Plus I don't want to have to pay for something I can easily do myself.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

If anything, I would think that would keep employment steady because you would need someone to "pick" the groceries for you and bag them up as well as check you out/load your car.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
My wife does the grocery shopping but I can't see her using a shopping service or having the store shop for her. I don't think I'd do it, either.

My big concern would be not remembering something I need when ordering. There are thousands of things in a grocery store and I may not remember I need it until I see it on the shelf. Then I don't know how selective the shopper will be in picking out the items. How much of a date check will they do? Or comparing prices of different sizes of the same product.

You mean your wife can easily do?:)

I do the majority of our grocery shopping. My wife usually only goes when she has something special planned.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I do the majority of our grocery shopping. My wife usually only goes when she has something special planned.
Shopping is women's work, so you are right.

Actually, I enjoy going through a grocery store and shopping. But my wife usually does it because she knows of stuff we need even if it isn't on the list she makes out. If she gives me a list, I won't get what we need that she didn't put on the list.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Shipt people are crawling all over my Publix every time I'm there, which is at least once a week. I'm cool with doing my own shopping. I don't want someone else picking out my stuff.
Had to reread the first word. Thought it was something else. :D

If you do the online ordering, you select the item yourself. I know Walmart has stipulations on what can be bought. For instance, alcohol can't be bought through the Pickup service. I can't find it on the website, but I recall someone saying meat and produce aren't allowed. You can order cold food, and they obviously wait to get it closer to the pickup time.

The only thing you would have to worry about would be damaged cans, bottles and boxes. (Or maybe my wife is the only one overly concerned about that.)

This is valid. With Wal-Mart, you can add or remove items to your order up until the day before your order.

It's free, though. If you have the time to go shopping, no biggie. It's helpful to those that don't always have the time to do a big grocery purchase.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Plus I don't want to have to pay for something I can easily do myself

It's not appealing for everyone and it's not going to completely eliminate people who want to shop in the store. However, the more refined and efficient it gets it will become more appealing and more used by enough people that it will more than likely impact in store staffing. My guess is it will also be used by those who still want to shop in the store but when there are things they need that they really don't feel like going in and it isn't one of those trips where they have to get a lot of things. It will be much more convenient to quickly go online, create an order and on the way home from doing other things to swing in and pick it up. Rather than parking, getting out and having to go in and use time to go through the store and find the items then check out.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I certainly see the advantages of having the store do your shopping if you don't have the time or you just hate grocery shopping. It just isn't for me or my wife.

It would seem if this becomes more popular you'd have to hire more people to do this.

As for kiosks at fast food places, I would use them in a heartbeat as it seems quicker and simpler than waiting in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Years ago, back in the mid-90s, Peapod was launched to actually deliver to your home. It didn't take off in Houston, but it seemed like a neat concept. It's still around in IL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peapod
Webvan too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webvan

I loved WebVan we used them alot

also used to have Prodigy in the early 90's like 1990/91 and Kroger would allow you to select items and they would bag them and have them for pickup for a few extra dollars

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I do the bulk of our grocery shopping as well. My wife only goes during the week to pick up any ingredients we need for dinner each day. She doesn't typically plan dinners in advance.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My wife is a regular user of this app. She loves it, and our Chick-fil-A regularly gives her free food because she uses the app so much.
I just downloaded it and found it to be a piece of crap. It would not take my payment. I tried ordering three times and it never worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.