You want $14.00/hour for unskilled work? OK, please meet your replacement...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Yep. Same principle applies to taxes on corporations or businesses and the related minimal tax/tariff on imported goods. If the government wants jobs/businesses here, it's current policies are not really advocating the same idea.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Panera recently introduced automated kiosks and an iPad app as alternatives to waiting in line to order. The kiosk was pretty easy to use. It's no more difficult than ordering a pizza online. I can certainly see fast food places moving to this.
The next step would be robot cooks. At McD's, most of the burger flipping is already automated.
The good news is, there will be a growing market for techs to service these machines, engineers to design them, and government bureaucrats to tax them :biggrin2:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
The CHili's near me has those little tablets to order at some stations too. Definitely can see it as a growing trend for a lot of restaurants. Even bank tellers seem to be on the chopping block with the ability to deposit via smartphone now (or direct deposit/withdrawal/transfer).

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The CHili's near me has those little tablets to order at some stations too. Definitely can see it as a growing trend for a lot of restaurants. Even bank tellers seem to be on the chopping block with the ability to deposit via smartphone now (or direct deposit/withdrawal/transfer).
Do you have to TIP those little tablets 15%+?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I would be glad not to expect my waitress to try to remember all four of my families' orders without writing them down only to end up getting it wrong.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm surprised it has taken this long for fast food places to start this. Low level register runners have been an endangered species for years. Look at other businesses.

Gas stations-I pay at the pump and haven't had to go inside a gas station to pay in years.

Banks-Direct deposit, on line banking, who needs tellers?

Grocery stores and other retail-Self check outs, wish we had them here. I'd rather bag my own stuff.

There is also on line shopping so you can avoid the stores altogether.

I like the idea of ordering kiosks at restaurants. I'd rather order on my own time and not be rushed or try to read a distant menu with my bad eyesight.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm surprised it has taken this long for fast food places to start this. Low level register runners have been an endangered species for years. Look at other businesses.

Gas stations-I pay at the pump and haven't had to go inside a gas station to pay in years.

Banks-Direct deposit, on line banking, who needs tellers?

Grocery stores and other retail-Self check outs, wish we had them here. I'd rather bag my own stuff.

There is also on line shopping so you can avoid the stores altogether.

I like the idea of ordering kiosks at restaurants. I'd rather order on my own time and not be rushed or try to read a distant menu with my bad eyesight.
I don't use them because my groceries aren't any cheaper. So I might as well let the cashier do it. It's stupid I know, but I can't get past that I'm paying markup built into the price of the products to cover the cashier's wages yet here I am checking my own self out. :conf3:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I don't use them because my groceries aren't any cheaper. So I might as well let the cashier do it. It's stupid I know, but I can't get past that I'm paying markup built into the price of the products to cover the cashier's wages yet here I am checking my own self out. :conf3:
I have the same stubborn streak. Besides, it's not really much faster, if it is at all.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I agree. Plus if I'm checking out an entire buggy full of groceries, there's like an entire square foot of space to place the groceries after being scanned. And "an attendant has been notified to assist you" and "please remove the last item from the bagging area" get old after a while.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
I'd like to see a smartphone app to replace me having to yell into a drive thru speaker.

Place your order at your convenience, even before you leave. Pay online if you prefer. Get a confirmation number. Pull up to the drive thru and key in the confirmation number, and your order will be delivered to you.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I like to use self checkout if I have a small order. I agree the small space isn't adequate for a buggy full of stuff. But I have run a register before so I have a better idea of what to do at a grocery checkout than an average person. But one mistake locks up the register and you have to wait for a manager to show up.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'd like to see a smartphone app to replace me having to yell into a drive thru speaker.

Place your order at your convenience, even before you leave. Pay online if you prefer. Get a confirmation number. Pull up to the drive thru and key in the confirmation number, and your order will be delivered to you.
allow the app to access my phone's GPS and local traffic news to insure that I arrive at restaurant exactly as my order has been completed and auto charge google wallet for my order and you have something I'd use. Wouldn't even need the confirmation number the store could be alerted when your car get's within a 1/4 mile and they could have someone hand you the order as soon as you drive up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.