Link: ESPN views a post-Alabama Saban as a top prospect for its CFB coverage

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/08/nick_saban_espn.html

"Nick Saban will be on the set with us before he's a coach in the NFL," said Herbstreit, who broke the news of Saban's agreement on a new contract with Alabama in December. "I really believe that after he's done at Alabama, whenever that time is, whether it's a year, five years, whatever it is, I really believe there's an itch there about becoming an analyst."

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
Yeah. I could tell, the way Coach Saban talked to the media, that he really wanted to be one of them.
Well I will say that I think he always does an excellent job whenever he is on College Gameday. But of course I hope that day when it becomes a permanent gig is waaaaay in the future.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Yeah. I could tell, the way Coach Saban talked to the media, that he really wanted to be one of them.
He hates journalists. I don't think he hates analysts. I think he actually wished journalists could approach their jobs like analysts - focus on the game instead of the "clutter." Stop trying to create drama and just look at what is going on and discuss it.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Saban takes lengthy notes during pre-production meetings, the analyst said, and asks everyone for feedback, including the cameramen.

Before heading to Pasadena (to cover the upcoming Florida State game), Saban watched hours of Florida State film.
It's not surprising that Saban puts more effort and preparation into his guest appearances on TV than do the other coaches they have on. It's just his nature to do the best possible job of whatever task he's doing, whether it's coaching or giving commentary on TV.

If somebody wanted to bet Saban's next job would be a coaching job rather than a talking head on TV, I'd bet they would lose that bet. I think he clearly enjoys giving his point of view to an audience.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
The biggest problem with Saban being an analyst is that he would have to call it like he sees it - and he really dislikes calling out other coaches or really making any statements that stomp somebody else's garden. There is a chance that he could be a Tony Dungy-type analyst, but even Dungy (easily my favorite person in professional football) has managed to get himself into deep water. I suspect Saban won't need the money, and if he wants the hassle he can instead stay coach (or perhaps AD) for as long as he likes.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The biggest problem with Saban being an analyst is that he would have to call it like he sees it - and he really dislikes calling out other coaches or really making any statements that stomp somebody else's garden. There is a chance that he could be a Tony Dungy-type analyst, but even Dungy (easily my favorite person in professional football) has managed to get himself into deep water. I suspect Saban won't need the money, and if he wants the hassle he can instead stay coach (or perhaps AD) for as long as he likes.
I understand the point you are making, and I agree Saban doesn't seem to be very willing to criticize the opposition.

My guess is that part of that reluctance is as simple as not giving the competition any bulletinboard talking points to be used against him. If he were no longer in the game, that might make him a little more comfortable critiquing other coaches.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I may be dead wrong on this one but I dont see Saban doing Analyst as a regular job. Maybe for the playoffs or NFL draft. But to me he is a coach and does the TV appearances and analyst for one purpose. Face time to better Alabama recruiting.

Now I could see him doing some camps and definitely public speaking.

Just my 2 cents.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.