****2014 Crown Jewel Countdown: #1 - DE, Da'Shawn Hand****

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Scouting Report
Perfect size/speed combo. He is a menacing pass rusher. Currently has an NFL ready body,but can easily get to 280 and not lose a step. Could be a 4-3 DE at that weight and still be dominant. At the point of attack, Hand is aggressive and tactful. He consistently splits double-team blocking schemes with sheer power and elite quickness, while churning his feet and maintaining proper pad level. His tackling technique is predominately polished, particularly when it comes to wrapping up. Hand uses an exceptional wingspan to corral his target and finishes violently, frequently jarring the ball loose.

His angle of pursuit to the quarterback is tremendous. Hand aims for a passer's midsection and identifies when a quarterback is in the midst of pulling the ball down and scrambling.

BigEasyTider's Take

runtheoption22's Take
I believe this kid would start for most schools in the country, but it just so happens that we've had an influx of talent at the DE position the past two classes. Hand is a dream recruit. Can (and will) play right away, great maturity, well-spoken, national recognition.....just an absolute stud. People had him pegged for Jack early on, but I think he will play DE but I don't think we will bulk him up too much, just so he can keep his speed. It's funny that we brought back DJ Pettway in the same class, because when I first saw Hand, he reminded me of a heavier, stronger Pettway out of HS. Now, Pettway is about the same size and very explosive- and if he walks the straight and narrow- will start ahead of Hand. However, in a lot of ways, they are the same player NOW--- the sky is the limit for Hand in the years to come.

WMack4Bama's Take
Getting the #1 overall player has eluded Coach Saban until now. And what better time for him to be here. Like Rashaan Evans is a dream Jack, Hand is a dream DE in our scheme. He's big enough to set/hold the edge and fast to still be an elite pass rusher. His tackling is a certain as death & taxes. To be at the top of this amazing recruiting class says a lot. I think Mr. Hand will be an All-American before he leaves the Capstone.

Last edited by a moderator:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
"At the point of attack, Hand is aggressive and tactful."

Fascinating... When he lines up, I imagine he might say "Excuse me sir, I'm going to destroy you." Does he pick QBs up after a sack and say "It's a pleasure to meet you?" Perhaps he always sends get well cards to his opponents...

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Just imagine this on third down: Hand at SDE, Liner and Allen on the inside, Evans at JACK with his hand down and Miller at SAM comin on a blitz. Now imagine Humphrey and Brown at cornerback. Now imagine Nick Saban is the Coach.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Has anyone heard any info on him during practice? I wonder how he is doing. I imagine he'll be in the rotation later in the year like A'Shawn was.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
WMack,RTO and BET thank you guys for all the work and effort you put in the countdown. This is an amazing group of young men that should leave their mark in Bama history! RTR

Just imagine this on third down: Hand at SDE, Liner and Allen on the inside, Evans at JACK with his hand down and Miller at SAM comin on a blitz. Now imagine Humphrey and Brown at cornerback. Now imagine Nick Saban is the Coach.
Robinson would replace Liner. But good all around.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Robinson would replace Liner. But good all around.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
I'm thinkin of their junior year. Not sure they'll all be on the field at the same time before then. Lotta talent in front of them.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Disruptive doesn't have a set weight. It's an innate ability some guys just have. If he's disruptive enough I don't care what his weight is.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.