All you Stephen King fans!

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
The best of King's novellas, The Long Walk:
The Long Walk consists of a group of 100 applicants, chosen each year at random from all of the submissions, to participate in a 'Long Walk'. The prize? Everything and anything you want for the rest of your life. The defeat? 'Buying your ticket' out of the walk means ending your life....as you are shot by accompanying soldiers, always mindful of your pace, as you cannot fall under four miles per hour, and always watchful for 'runners' who try to escape the walk as they wear out. The walkers are not allowed to stop, for anything, or they are issued warnings. After three strikes, you are out, permanently. King delves into the minds of several of the walkers, the largest treatise being given to Ray Garrity, the book's central character. Friendships are formed, enemies are made, and battle lines are drawn as each of the boys on the walk eyes the prize waiting at an undetermined distance ahead of them. The only way to win the prize, is to outwalk, and therefore outlive, everyone else. -- Bradford Morse

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Jon said:
The Stand is one of my favorite boks of all time, read it at least 3-4 times by now.

other great books by King
Dark tower series
The Girl who loved Tom Gordon
Needful Things
It (scariest of his books IMO)
The Green Mile
Firestarter

but his best work besides the Stand and Dark tower are his short stories. Plenty of which have been made into great movies. The Shawshank Redemtion and Stand by Me are both former short stories turned into great films

Problem with King is that he puts out so much that there is a lot of crap out there to sift through to get to the good stuff. but the Good stuff is really really good

Jon
I'm reading Needful Things right now.
Once I'm done, it'll be on to 'Salem's Lot.

I agree with you about The Stand and the Dark Tower series. Works of art in my opinion.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
SavannahDare said:
I'm reading Needful Things right now.
Once I'm done, it'll be on to 'Salem's Lot.

I agree with you about The Stand and the Dark Tower series. Works of art in my opinion.

I have actually never read Salems Lot. I'll have to add that to the list ofthings to read if i ever get the time

jon

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
I agree that IT was the scariest. It is also high on my list of favorites.

Hated Pet Sematary! Read it when I still had young children, and it was just too poignantly terrifying to think of losing a child like that.

I have said it before on earlier King threads, but it's worth repeating: the best writing he does is when he deals with kids about ten years old.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Just finished 'salem's Lot. It took about half the book to really get me hooked, but I thoroughly enjoyed the last half of the book. Not his best work (I still say that honor goes to The Stand and The Dark Tower series), but certainly entertaining for an early work.

Before 'salem's Lot I read Needful Things. Very well written and a much smoother "flow" than Lot.

I think he has a new novel coming out soon. Anyone know for sure?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
My favorite King material is when it's real and human.
Misery
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
Apt Pupil
Rose Madder
Dolan's Cadillac
Needful Things (before the finale)
It (before the finale)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

When it's about human depravity, desperation, and suspense, I'm into it.

I also enjoy a certain level of fantasy, like in Carrie, Christine, Firestarter, etc.

When it gets too unreal, and stupidly graphic, and tentacles start snatching people, I lose interest fast.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.