Obama wants to make the internet a utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Quick Google search of the 'American Consumer Institute' (the name alone should ring bells for those skeptical of any "think tank") shows likely ties to the telcom industry given that the head/founder of the org is a former executive and consultant within the industry. Plus this:

Another group leading the charge is the American Consumer Institute. The organization recently filed a letter with the FCC opposing reclassification, and argues that ISPs should be left alone. "The fact is that the broadband market is competitive and becoming more so," wrote ACI, which claims that consumers currently enjoy "increased choice." In January, ACI called the Verizon lawsuit that struck down the original FCC net-neutrality guidelines, "a victory for consumers."
Why would a self-professed consumer advocacy group not only oppose moving toward net neutrality but claim that America's broadband market—one of the slowest, most expensive in the industrialized world with fewer than three choices in many parts of the country—is so great?
Perhaps because ACI, like Broadband for America, is financed by an ISP lobby group. Annual tax returns show that a foundation controlled by lobbyists from the cell phone industry, called MyWireless.org, has contributed to ACI since 2010.

https://news.vice.com/article/cable...g-fake-consumer-support-to-end-net-neutrality

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I was in support of it until I found out that one of the biggest crooks in the world, George Soros, donated over $100mil in support of it. If he is involved then it can't be good.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I have absolutely zero faith in telcom/ISP company's ability to do anything honest and fairly. Zero.

If nothing is done about net neutrality then everyone will be paying more money just to access your favorite sites. It's already starting to some extent. Many ISP already charge some services, like Netflix, a "fast lane" tax. If Netflix refuses to pay, the ISPs throttle the speed of all Netflix traffic. Stuff like this will just get worse and worse if nothing is done. The entire internet should be open and free from "fast lane" taxes and, throttling just to earn an extra buck should be outlawed. If it takes turning it into a utility to get this done, then so be it.

I'm sick of seeing republicans claim that this will stifle innovation and will cost consumers more money if it is reclassified. This is exactly what is happening now without net neutrality. ISPs don't want to spend the money to truly upgrade their networks, they'd rather throttle your speed and charge you more for access. This country is severely lagging behind in internet speeds compared to the rest of the world because no one wants to upgrade the networks. They don't want to take the hit on there bottom line to provide consumers a better more fairly priced service. Americans pay more money for internet access but, get much lower speeds the most of the modern world. Why are people okay with this? Netflix has raised their rates 2 times in the past few years all because of the lack of net neutrality laws, the ISPs keep demanding more money form Netflix to keep their "fast lane" open. This kind of stuff needs to be stopped.

How would you guys like it if one day if your ISP decided to tax TideFans or throttle all TideFans traffic to dial-up speeds if you refused to pay (or any other site your enjoy). This has already started to happen. When Comcast first went after Netflix, Netflix tried to fight them but, they throttled their traffic to the point were Netflix wasn't usable for many Comcast customers. Of course, the customers didn't blame Comcast, they blamed Netflix, who eventually caved and it wasn't long after that when Netflix announced their price increase. I'm not okay with this type of practice but, more of it is coming if nothing is done. The internet must remain open and free from ISP manipulation, they should not have a right to determine what is more important on the internet and then charge more for it's access.
I'm more willing to pay a company a little more than pay the government more money in order for them to limit what can be put on the internet.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I agree there is way too much cronyism in the telcom industry. Look at the quip Obama made about the head lobbyist for Comcast coupled with the consolidation of the industry. Now, if justice would go in and break up these defacto monopolies I would may side against regulation. However, the industry is currently rigged in favor of the big ISPs who spend massive amounts of money lobbying which will prevent any companies being busted up.

There's a reason the big players don't want neutrality and it's not to keep the camels nose from underneath the tent. So, as it stands, my preference is for the government to tell them they can't hold certain content hostage for a ransom.
Yet Obama didn't make any quips about the lobbyist who support net neutrality and their funding from George Soros. Funny how the only bad lobbyist are conservative and the liberal lobbyist are saints....cough cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.