Obama wants to make the internet a utility - Page 2
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Re: Obama wants to make the internet a utility

lots and lots of jokes with very little clear understanding of the issue, or just another day on Tidefans non-sports I guess

in 3-4 years when your comcast/time warner merged cable monopoly decides they are tired of competing with Netflix and prices them off your network please remember this thread and the "regulations are bad, mmmkay" line of non thinking that is so prevalent here

not if, but when, unless we stop it from happening

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ValuJet View Post
    You guys are on to something. If Obama is concerned about "making it affordable for all Americans" which undoubtedly is coming, you can bet your bottom dollar that here comes an internet excise tax.

Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, etc. have been licking their chops for years over taxing internet sales. Here it comes. I don't know why, after six years, anyone would read anything else into this, despite O's words of concern and assurance. I promise you he doesn't have your interests at heart.
    That just means another "tax" or "fee" on your bill for the "less fortunate."

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    lots and lots of jokes with very little clear understanding of the issue, or just another day on Tidefans non-sports I guess

in 3-4 years when your comcast/time warner merged cable monopoly decides they are tired of competing with Netflix and prices them off your network please remember this thread and the "regulations are bad, mmmkay" line of non thinking that is so prevalent here

I'm sorry but imo, this has absolutely nothing to do with regulating the net to prevent/eliminate monopolies, "making it more affordable for the poor", or any other lame excuse. It has everything to do with controlling the transfer of information from site to customer, and, if "necessary", shutting down any and all sites that provide information contrary to a given political agenda. Iow, they want to control everything that is read, heard, said or shared.
    Don't be fooled, folks. This is the modern-day version of opening up a public library and burning every book with which they disagree. This "wanting to make it a utility" is him asking you to hand him the key to the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Reb View Post
    I'm sorry but imo, this has absolutely nothing to do with regulating the net to prevent/eliminate monopolies, "making it more affordable for the poor", or any other lame excuse. It has everything to do with controlling the transfer of information from site to customer, and, if "necessary", shutting down any and all sites that provide information contrary to a given political agenda. Iow, they want to control everything that is read, heard, said or shared.
    Don't be fooled, folks. This is the modern-day version of opening up a public library and burning every book with which they disagree. This "wanting to make it a utility" is him asking you to hand him the key to the building.

actually you could not be more wrong. All this does, all it does is make ISP's treat all data as equal that is it, nothing more. This does not give any government agency any power over any sort of content. None what-so-ever. This does not give the FCC any power to say what you can or cannot see over the internet. It opens the door to nothing. In fact by not allowing net neutrality you are giving comcast, time warner, mediacom, cox cable, at&t or verizon exactly the power you are afraid to give the government

Anyone here not get SEC network because your cable provider is too cheap? How about AMC or the turner networks? I am having this problem with Dish right now and others are about to lose the walking dead. Without net neutrality your provider could do the same thing with tidefans, espn.com, netflix, hulu, amazon prime video, pandora, iheartradio, you name it you are giving your isp the power to block it.

What if an Auburn fan billionaire bought mediacom? They have a healthy monopoly in parts of Alabama. Will you be ok with absolutely no bama related websites or data traffic? Type Alabama football into google and only get Auburn related responses? Want to get all your tide news from itat? This is of course a massive stretch but this also exactly what you are dealing with. without net neutrality this is actually a feasible scenario. Without this reclassification your isp could do this.

Question to the mods or Brett If comcast asked you for $5,000 a month to get tidefans.com delivered to comcast customers how would you respond? Without net neutrality this could happen. Would you charge a fee for tidefans? or shut down the site? For the rest of us, you ready to go to some other nowhere near as good bama site? I'm not. I like it here and want it to stay. Without net neutrality your isp could buy one of those big message board sites and throttle tidefans to a point where it took a full minute to load an image just to make their crappy site seem better. Please understand if you are against this regulation, by default, this is what you are for.

Suspended

actually you could not be more wrong.
    You have your opinion, I have mine. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

some days, i wonder what would happen if obama told everyone that it was a bad idea to drink bleach
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatMarch View Post
    Who is going to do the regulation? Dept of Health and Human Services?
    FCC I'm pretty sure. It's actually going to benefit this country entirely. Data prices will come down as competition for services will arise. No more will Comcast, or TW be able to corner the market, or the other conglomerates. We'll start to see faster speeds (again, for cheaper prices) and it will allow for a stronger protection of the free and Open Web. Don't worry about the possible spying that could occur, the NSA spying capabilities are better and stronger than any of your ISPs.
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

What concerns me though is this secret deal happening, and it's 'Intellectual Property Rights' clause, coupled with government oversight of internet. Feels bad man.
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    some days, i wonder what would happen if obama told everyone that it was a bad idea to drink bleach
    VJ would have the whitest intestines on the planet.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    VJ would have the whitest intestines on the planet.
    ive also heard that it protects against ebola.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation First Team lazlohollyfeld's Avatar

actually you could not be more wrong. All this does, all it does is make ISP's treat all data as equal that is it, nothing more. This does not give any government agency any power over any sort of content. None what-so-ever. This does not give the FCC any power to say what you can or cannot see over the internet. It opens the door to nothing. In fact by not allowing net neutrality you are giving comcast, time warner, mediacom, cox cable, at&t or verizon exactly the power you are afraid to give the government

Anyone here not get SEC network because your cable provider is too cheap? How about AMC or the turner networks? I am having this problem with Dish right now and others are about to lose the walking dead. Without net neutrality your provider could do the same thing with tidefans, espn.com, netflix, hulu, amazon prime video, pandora, iheartradio, you name it you are giving your isp the power to block it.

What if an Auburn fan billionaire bought mediacom? They have a healthy monopoly in parts of Alabama. Will you be ok with absolutely no bama related websites or data traffic? Type Alabama football into google and only get Auburn related responses? Want to get all your tide news from itat? This is of course a massive stretch but this also exactly what you are dealing with. without net neutrality this is actually a feasible scenario. Without this reclassification your isp could do this.

Question to the mods or Brett If comcast asked you for $5,000 a month to get tidefans.com delivered to comcast customers how would you respond? Without net neutrality this could happen. Would you charge a fee for tidefans? or shut down the site? For the rest of us, you ready to go to some other nowhere near as good bama site? I'm not. I like it here and want it to stay. Without net neutrality your isp could buy one of those big message board sites and throttle tidefans to a point where it took a full minute to load an image just to make their crappy site seem better. Please understand if you are against this regulation, by default, this is what you are for.
    Has any of this happened? Or is this a government solution in search of a problem? I can always fire Time Warner or Comcast, so I don't mind them having whatever power and nefarious action you might ascribe to them. I cannot do the same with the FCC.

Quote Originally Posted by dWarriors88 View Post
    What concerns me though is this secret deal happening, and it's 'Intellectual Property Rights' clause, coupled with government oversight of internet. Feels bad man.
    agree there

what kills me about this is how obama played it to appear not to be in the pocket of the telecom/isp industry when he so clearly is. Waiting till he has no power to stop it to make this comment, after appointing Tom Wheeler to run the FCC. Want to know what Tom Wheeler did prior to running the FCC? Yeah he was a lobbyist for the ISP's

So Obama can now claim to support net neutrality with his public statements while also retarding it through his actions while President. Obama doesn't want Net Neutrality, he could have done it years ago with a willing congress. He wants to appear to want it, and those who are fighting it you are helping Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by lazlohollyfeld View Post
    Has any of this happened? Or is this a government solution in search of a problem? I can always fire Time Warner or Comcast, so I don't mind them having whatever power and nefarious action you might ascribe to them. I cannot do the same with the FCC.
    Actually, yes it has

You see that big dip on the graph? Yea, that when Comcast and Netflix were "negotiating" a fee that Comcast was proposing on Netflix. Comcast simply slowed the connection from Netflix to their Customers until users were getting horrible service and complaining and/or canceling their Netflix accounts due to poor service. Netflix tried to remain strong but ultimately their business was getting hurt too badly so rather than lose their comcast customer base Netflix caved and is paying Comcast millions for "fast lanes". What happened next? Netflix raised rates in April, I wonder why?

How much of a stretch is it for Comcast to do the same thing to prop up Hulu (which they own a part of) or Xfinity on demand? They have the technology (I know I sold it to them ) to do it and it's technically legal.