Obama wants to make the internet a utility - Page 25
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627 LastLast

Re: Obama wants to make the internet a utility

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/1...nts-identities

This week, thousands posted comments on the FCC’s website in response to a proposed rollback of net neutrality internet protections, weighing in on whether and how to defend the open internet. John Oliver encouraged viewers to post to a public comment thread with support for strong regulation, and a massive number of people did so. But many others appeared to have a different point of view.

“The unprecedented regulatory power the Obama Administration imposed on the internet is smothering innovation, damaging the American economy and obstructing job creation,” read thousands of identical comments posted this week, seemingly by different concerned individuals. The comment goes on to give a vigorous defense of deregulation, calling the rules a “power grab” and saying the rollback represents “a positive step forward.” By midday Tuesday, the thread was inundated with versions of the comment. A search of the duplicated text found more than 58,000 results as of press time, with 17,000 of those posted in the last 24 hours alone.

The comments seem to be posted by different, real people, with addresses attached. But people contacted by The Verge said they did not write the comments and have no idea where the posts came from.

“That doesn’t even sound like verbiage I would use,” says Nancy Colombo of Connecticut, whose name and address appeared alongside the comment.
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

2. Advertisement

pai seems like a +17 d-bag
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/1...-fcc-leak-data

did you file a notice with the FCC? You sure?

In March, security researcher Chris Vickery made a remarkable discovery. In one of the most notable operations of its kind, he said in a blog post, a group called River City Media had collected about 1.4 billion personal information records, and was using them for spam. “Chances are that you, or at least someone you know, is affected,” Vickery wrote. RCM said it had used legitimate marketing practices to collect the data, but regardless, the scope of the program was massive, and when the records leaked, it left a mountain of personal information exposed.

Often when these sorts of records leak, they’re used for fraud. But RCM’s data may have been put to a political use. As The Verge reported yesterday, tens of thousands of identical anti-net neutrality comments tied to real names and addresses were bombarding the FCC. Now, some clues suggest those identities were pulled from the RCM dump or other similar data leaks.
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

The FCC just voted to move forward on repealing Net Neutrality, despite the overwhelming proportion of (real) comments made during their public consideration period being strongly in favor of preserving met Neutrality.

Here's the future the GOP will grant us:

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

That's the future. These companies are not going to let us cord cutters ruin there business model. Internet becomes the new cable.

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Here's the future the GOP will grant us:
    This was going to happen no matter who ended up in the WH. Hillary's biggest contributor were telecoms. "In fact, Clinton [took] in more money from Big Cable than all of the other presidential candidates combined." She's not going to take all that money and then appoint an FCC chairman that would destroy the telecom's business model. Plus, her hubby help put us in this mess to begin with back in '96. This is not a party line issue, this is a lobbyist buying our politicians issue.
    Last edited by CrimsonNagus; May 18th, 2017 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
    This was going to happen no matter who ended up in the WH... This is not a party line issue, this is a lobbyist buying our politicians issue.
    If that second clause is true, why did Obama start us doing an the road to enshrining net neutrality? I do not believe for a second that a Democratic president would have nominated someone like Pai in 2017 to tear down what Obama spent 8 years trying to do.

Obama wants to make the internet a utility

And I don't believe that she took all that money just to turn around and screw the people that gave it to her. As with everything in politics, follow the money.

Look, this isn't a vote of confidence for Trump, I can't stand the idiot and feel like a fool for voting for him. This was a big issue for me during the campaign, unfortunately both candidates were against net neutrality. So I voted for the guy I thought would do more for the middle class, boy was I wrong.
    Last edited by CrimsonNagus; May 18th, 2017 at 04:09 PM.
    The poster formerly known as RollTide1017

And I don't believe that she took all that money just to turn around and screw the people that gave it to her. As with everything in politics, follow the money.

Look, this isn't a vote of confidence for Trump, I can't stand the idiot and feel like a fool for voting for him. This was a big issue for me during the campaign, unfortunately both candidates were against net neutrality. So I voted for the guy I thought would do more for the middle class, boy was I wrong.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I also follow the money trail when it comes to political allegiance. But just like oil companies, the Telecom lobby literally gives to everyone. Trump trashed net neutrality as terrible during the campaign. Clinton was no Bernie, but she was definitely in support of keeping the rules. Net neutrality support simply happens to be a much bigger issue for the Democratic base than the Republican base right now, for some reason, and just I don't think she would have walked that particular promise back.

We'll have to disagree on this one, I think. All I hear from.Democratic representatives are full-throated defenses of the old FCC rules, and all I hear from the GOP are weak-minded support for Pai's agenda. But regardless whether you think it was or wasn't avoidable, hopefully we can start to fix things in four years.

We can start in 2018 by giving the house and senate back to the democrats. That's hard for me to say as I'm a registered republican but, since Trump took office I have lost all faith in the GOP. Net Neutrality is now my number one issue, everything else doesn't matter near as much. I work in IT and it is just that important to me, we canceled cable 3 years ago and I don't want my internet bill to start looking like my old cable bill.

I know Trump trashed net neutrality during the campaign and I almost voted for Hillary because of it but, figured she'd do the same thing with all the money she took. So I went with the guy that was going to kill Obamacare and restore the middle class and, we see how that is working out. So, it is now net neutrality or nothing for me. You want my vote then you better support net neutrality. If you don't, I'll never vote for you. Even if Jesus Christ himself ran for office, he better support net neutrality or I will not vote for him. Maybe it is crazy to throw all my chips into one issue like this but, this is how I currently feel.

We can't give these greedy telecoms the unregulated right to screw over the American people because, they have proven time and time again that they will do just that every chance they get. I'll even go a step farther and say that it is time for telecom's regional monopolies to come crumbling down. It is basically the Bell Systems monopoly all over again just at a regional/local level and enough is enough.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

I work in IT and it is just that important to me,.
    We got caught up in issues at work before related to the lack of Net Neutrality rules. We had a 1Gb Cogent internet line that was giving us all kinds of issues connecting to 3rd party sites that were required for our business to run. This was because the peering points to Cogent were maxed out due to Netflix. Verizon, ATT, and Comcast were refusing to increase peering bandwidth with them. They all had the equipment sitting there. All it would have taken is a $200 cable. We had to cancel Cogent and order another provider. In real world costs it was 10's of thousands of dollars if you look at the cancelation costs and the price difference vs the new provider.

On a side note at the time Netflix had developed a network appliance that ISPs could sit in local cities that would allow Netflix customers to stream from it vs Netflix servers long distances away. Netflix was giving this away for free to help ISPs manage network capacity. ISPs refused (the only ones I could see that use it are in Europe.) They would rather have strong arm Netflix into buying internet connectivity from all of them vs their provider of choice. This is exactly what happened in the end. Don't let ISPs tell you this is about managing network capacity. They can pump so much bandwidth down a strand of fiber now days it isn't even funny. This is all about money.

So what do you think would happen to small sites like Tidefans.com if all of a sudden entire parts of the internet couldn't access it and the only option was to buy internet connectivity from all possible providers?
    Last edited by 2003TIDE; May 19th, 2017 at 12:15 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

We can't give these greedy telecoms the unregulated right to screw over the American people because, they have proven time and time again that they will do just that every chance they get. I'll even go a step farther and say that it is time for telecom's regional monopolies to come crumbling down. It is basically the Bell Systems monopoly all over again just at a regional/local level and enough is enough.
    Serious question--Could Comcast stay in business without monopolies? Their service may well be great (I'll find out, supposedly, on Tuesday), but sweet Christ, their customer service department is a travesty. I was trying to get a quoted price explained, and this person haltingly said a bunch of words that literally made no sense. And then I got put on hold for 15 minutes. Then they hung up on me.

And every I've talked to says that is the norm, not the exception.

But yeah, RT2017, I agree. Net Neutrality (and the host of associated privacy issues) should be major concerns for people, they are flying under the radar largely because of the Orange One's antics.

I have suspected for some time that the main reason the GOP backed Trump--and the reason they're so reluctant to address his issues head on, is that they were hoping that he would distract the public while they pursued their own agenda. In the words of W, they misunderestimated Trump.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Serious question--Could Comcast stay in business without monopolies? Their service may well be great (I'll find out, supposedly, on Tuesday), but sweet Christ, their customer service department is a travesty. I was trying to get a quoted price explained, and this person haltingly said a bunch of words that literally made no sense. And then I got put on hold for 15 minutes. Then they hung up on me.

And every I've talked to says that is the norm, not the exception.

But yeah, RT2017, I agree. Net Neutrality (and the host of associated privacy issues) should be major concerns for people, they are flying under the radar largely because of the Orange One's antics.

I have suspected for some time that the main reason the GOP backed Trump--and the reason they're so reluctant to address his issues head on, is that they were hoping that he would distract the public while they pursued their own agenda. In the words of W, they misunderestimated Trump.
    Comcast customer here. Their customer service is AWWWWWWWFUL!!!!!! I can't stress it enough. You either get someone who may or may not know what they're doing but you literally can't understand them due to the heavy, heavy middle eastern or spanish accent. Or, you get someone who you can plainly understand but as you've mentioned are saying things that literally make absolutely no sense. When you finally finish the call and the next bill comes in. They've "fixed" the problem by charging you for something that's not even apart of your programming package. So you have to call back to attempt to get that "fixed" and taken off your billing. Which may take three to four months to do. Other than that they are a great company.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Football, Basketball Moderator NationalTitles16's Avatar

Good article on the general subject of the government regulation of telecoms. While many of us agree with the government providing some basic protections from bad actors in industry, we have to be careful that the bad actors aren't just using the regulations to stifle innovation and competition in order to protect their old business model or give them the advantage in new markets. That's a fine line at times and all attempts at new regulations should be looked upon skeptically and scrutinized for "unintended" consequences.

https://reason.com/archives/2017/06/...d-cellphones-f
    Roll Tide Roll!!!