Obama wants to make the internet a utility - Page 6
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Re: Obama wants to make the internet a utility

As a (legit) libertarian I can't support net neutrality. The solution is not more government power and regulation. Some folks are just naive.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation First Team Silverback's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Did I mis-interpret your statement? You said it would be nice to have high speed internet but its a high dollar affair for you.

So exactly how would government regulation make it cheaper for you?

I'm still paying for rural line fees and access fees 28 years later, which have now become free cell phones for low income recipients. Once the government starts taxing it, it won't stop.
    We should have equal service for an equal cost.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    The devilish detail is what is meant by "equal service". If it costs more to get the service to you, you should pay more even if data capacity and speed are equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    As a (legit) libertarian I can't support net neutrality. The solution is not more government power and regulation. Some folks are just naive.
    sorry, Mr (legit) libertarian, whatever that means, what is your solution then for us poor naive folk?

BamaNation First Team Silverback's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    The devilish detail is what is meant by "equal service". If it costs more to get the service to you, you should pay more even if data capacity and speed are equivalent.
    Maybe access would've been a better word.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    At least ComCast does not have a gun pointed at my head Since I have multiple ISP options, when ComCast charges too much, I can tell them to perform an unnatural act on itself and take my custom elsewhere (which I have, in fact, done).
    And all it takes for Leviathan's fangs to come out is a challenge to its authority, and an issue in which large amounts of money are at stake. Leviathan can be quite nasty when challenged. Ask just about any white southerner in 1865.
    glad you have a choice, my only choice is to move

now understand that technically I have "broadband" options but only because the ISP monopolies have loosened the definition of "broadband" through their lobbying efforts to include things like DSL and Wireless internet as Broadband. In my line of work I need 2 way HD Video for conference calling, IP Phones, dedicated VPN tunnels and always on full bandwidth in order for all of this to function properly. That gives me exactly 1 choice. Comcast. A choice that when I made it was "unlimited" and has recently redefined unlimited to mean 300GB of Data a month which I am already exceeding. Why do they get to redefine this again? Oh I know why because there is no oversight and because I have no choice.

You want to know why they changed the definition of Broadband? So they can claim they are not a monopoly because with their definition in place I technically have a choice, even though I don't.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Mamacalled's Avatar

Looks to me we are darned if we do and darned if we don't.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    As a legit libertarian am I correct that I imagine you find any regulation, no matter the industry, to be too much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    So I interpreted correctly. You don't want to pay for the infrastructure, you want others to pay for it and subsidize your costs.

Thanks for making that clear.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    To answer your question, I am not sure that classification as a utility truly is THE best way to do it.

I will dig into the 706 question though.

706 is all about availability.

As to why they are going with the reclassification, I think it has to do with the government can then dictate terms of the broadcast license. IE "Thou shall not throttle my Sanford and Son's youtubes" Granted it is the FCC chairmans purview to say what those terms are but /shrug its at least a consistent point of entry for discussion. If everything goes to the wild west, and consumers and businesses alike have to deal with different companies with different terms, the burden for using the internet became higher. "Do I go with Uverse because of its speed, or Knology because the CEO is the brother in law of Hulu and I get a discount on Hulu packages?"

As to the unintended consequences, frankly I have no idea. I would like to believe after all the attention that it got (greatest response to pending decision by FCC ever) the public can at least attempt to have a say in what happens instead of allowing for back room deals and lawyers decide how the internet works.
    Section 706 is settled law and empowers the FCC to do everything you want done. I can only think of one valid reason the government would rather reclassify: It will have more (unnecessary) power.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles15 View Post
    Section 706 is settled law and empowers the FCC to do everything you want done. I can only think of one valid reason the government would rather reclassify: It will have more (unnecessary) power.
    706 unless I'm reading it incorrectly doesn't say anything about how the ISPs can treat traffic on their network, just that they have to promise to try and get broadband to ever increasing areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    706 unless I'm reading it incorrectly doesn't say anything about how the ISPs can treat traffic on their network, just that they have to promise to try and get broadband to ever increasing areas.
    that's the way I understand it too.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

http://fedscoop.com/fcc-net-neutrali...i-section-706/

doesnt go go into details but there are 3 basic schools of thought: title II, section 706, or a hybrid regulation model. Each has strengths and weaknesses. To me, 706 seems the lesser of the evils
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.