Obama wants to make the internet a utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Companies already compete right now to bring us the lowest prices per amount of service rendered. Any company that tries that type of pricing in America will fail.
ISPs do not effectively compete, much less "to bring us the lowest prices"
ISPs compete with each other to gain ownership of infrastructure, then they take everything they can get away with, while delivering as little as they can get away with, while employing every dishonest and deceptive practice available to them, including bribery of public officials.
I long for the day when actual competitive high speed wireless networking is a thing, because the internet access business is ANYTHING but competitive.

And this is coming from someone deeply suspicious of any government "solution" to market problems.

This is how I feel about the value proposition that will be presented by ISPs should principles of net neutrality cease to prevail.

"It's got raisins in it. You like raisins."

"Can I be excused? I'm not feeling well"

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If I said this before, it was a long way back. Some know that Huntsville Utilities is building out a fiber network in Huntsville and will own it. Google gets first shot, but, after than, it's open to an ISP. We will get a real test of competition. Comcast plans to compete with their "magic modem." Comcast refuses to rewire the mountaintop where I live. My plan is to carry both Comcast and Google for a year, while I change email addresses over and then convert 100% to Google fiber. Many people I know have a similar plan. I wonder when Comcast will wake up...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If I said this before, it was a long way back. Some know that Huntsville Utilities is building out a fiber network in Huntsville and will own it. Google gets first shot, but, after than, it's open to an ISP. We will get a real test of competition. Comcast plans to compete with their "magic modem." Comcast refuses to rewire the mountaintop where I live. My plan is to carry both Comcast and Google for a year, while I change email addresses over and then convert 100% to Google fiber. Many people I know have a similar plan. I wonder when Comcast will wake up...
I live off Hobbs road towards Redstone Arsenal gate 3. I had Comcast internet. AT&T laid the infrastructure for their Fiber network "GigaPower." Almost the same time AT&T had completed that in my neighborhood Comcast went up on my prices. I called and said I'd switch and the best they could do was $75 for 75 MBPS. I switched to the AT&T Fiber that is lifetime price locked at $90 for 1000 MBPS (or 1GBPS). Just blows my mind that Comcast doesn't have the business sense to not increase a customers price when a competitor enters the area. If Comcast didn't increase my price I wouldn't have thought about switching but they did and lost a customer. I might check out the Google Fiber once it's ready but I've been pretty happy with the AT&T Fiber. I get around 250 MBPS up/down on wifi which is overkill for just about everything..

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I live off Hobbs road towards Redstone Arsenal gate 3. I had Comcast internet. AT&T laid the infrastructure for their Fiber network "GigaPower." Almost the same time AT&T had completed that in my neighborhood Comcast went up on my prices. I called and said I'd switch and the best they could do was $75 for 75 MBPS. I switched to the AT&T Fiber that is lifetime price locked at $90 for 1000 MBPS (or 1GBPS). Just blows my mind that Comcast doesn't have the business sense to not increase a customers price when a competitor enters the area. If Comcast didn't increase my price I wouldn't have thought about switching but they did and lost a customer. I might check out the Google Fiber once it's ready but I've been pretty happy with the AT&T Fiber. I get around 250 MBPS up/down on wifi which is overkill for just about everything..
They only reason I got GigaPower is because Google Fiber got close to my neighborhood. ATT's plan is apparently throw up as many road blocks as possible to make it as expensive as possible for market entry then at the last minute offer fiber. It literally took them 3 days to string fiber up in my neighborhood since they own the poles (the same poles they have been blocking Gfiber from using.)

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've noticed ATT playing catchup, stringing fiber on Monte Sano, since HU started their stringing. I'd probably go Google over ATT...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Ajit Pai is a cancer.

Comcast asks the FCC to prohibit states from enforcing net neutrality

Comcast met with Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai's staff this week in an attempt to prevent states from issuing net neutrality rules.

As the FCC prepares to gut its net neutrality rules, broadband providers are worried that states might enact their own laws to prevent ISPs from blocking, throttling, or discriminating against online content.

Comcast Senior VP Frank Buono and a Comcast attorney met with Pai Chief of Staff Matthew Berry and Senior Counsel Nicholas Degani on Monday, the company said in an ex parte filing that describes the meeting.

Comcast urged Pai's staff to reverse the FCC's classification of broadband as a Title II common carrier service, a move that would eliminate the legal authority the FCC uses to enforce net neutrality rules. Pai has said he intends to do just that, so Comcast will likely get its wish on that point.

But Comcast also wants the FCC to go further by making a declaration that states cannot impose their own regulations on broadband.
The filing said: "We also emphasized that the Commission's order in this proceeding should include a clear, affirmative ruling that expressly confirms the primacy of federal law with respect to BIAS [Broadband Internet Access Service] as an interstate information service, and that preempts state and local efforts to regulate BIAS either directly or indirectly."

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
they've woken up, they are using their puppies in Government to pass laws restricting municipal broadband like the one Huntsville is building. Doing it all over the country

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
But it's already happening. ISPs are already instituting global data caps and using the lure of "Netflix/Spotify/Pandora is exempt from our data limit!" as a selling point. The problem is that short-sighted people might actually think this kind of data discrimination is a good thing, until Comcast ultimately introduces a tiered internet plan that restricts website access, similar to their tiered Cable TV plans. If ISPs actually thought they were acting in the public interest, they wouldn't have tried to have the GOP in Congress use wording that forbade the FCC from ever rolling back to the Title II classification passed in 2015.
look at what happened in Spain and Portugal. Only a matter of time here with this FCC

https://qz.com/1114690/why-is-net-neutrality-important-look-to-portugal-and-spain-to-understand/

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
This is a serious question. How do differentiate this (the Spain/Portugal example) from Atlanta's toll road, toll lanes, and toll parking?
When you pay the toll to use the toll road that is equivalent to the base monthly charge, or the telco adsl base package. What the upcharges are would be akin to the toll road operator charging you different amounts based upon what you were carrying even if you use the same vehicle to traverse the toll road. If you had just been to costco and bought a bunch of groceries and home goods, you need the marketplace package. If you went to dicks sporting goods and bought a bunch of sporting equipment, you would need the playground package. If you picked up a bunch of indian people at the airport, thats the international package.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
look at what happened in Spain and Portugal. Only a matter of time here with this FCC

We've already covered that free market magic will keep this from happening in the US.

Companies already compete right now to bring us the lowest prices per amount of service rendered. Any company that tries that type of pricing in America will fail.
Ah yes, the magic unregulated free market. Does it's magic only work in the US?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

We've already covered that free market magic will keep this from happening in the US.
Let me put it t his way: my current cable provider provides my cable and internet at a cheaper price than my previous cable provider. They both follow the same regulations but one does much cheaper than the other. Government regulation did not do this, free market competition did.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Let me put it t his way: my current cable provider provides my cable and internet at a cheaper price than my previous cable provider. They both follow the same regulations but one does much cheaper than the other. Government regulation did not do this, free market competition did.
K. Once all the regulations are off and your ISP starts charging more for access to Netflix, YouTube, or even Tidefans what then?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Let me put it t his way: my current cable provider provides my cable and internet at a cheaper price than my previous cable provider.
My internet provider keeps giving crappy service on my internet and charging me more to do so because they have no competition where I live.

There are many places stuck like that, and the monopolies are not nearly kept in check as they used to be. Could add up to a bad day in the future very easily.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Sorry, Comcast: Voters say “yes” to city-run broadband in Colorado

Voters in Fort Collins, Colorado, yesterday approved a ballot question that authorizes the city to build a broadband network, rejecting a cable and telecom industry campaign against the initiative.

Fort Collins voters said "yes" to a ballot question that gives the city council permission "to establish a telecommunications utility to provide broadband services," The Coloradoan wrote. "Unofficial, partial returns as of 12:42 a.m. showed the measure passing with 57.15 percent of the vote."

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
where you live you have the option of 2 different cable providers? Not just poorly defined "broadband" but physically two different cable?

I don't know the numbers for that particular unicorn of a situation but only a little more than ~20% of the US has two broadband choices of any kind. The free market only works where there is one. It ain't here

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
where you live you have the option of 2 different cable providers? Not just poorly defined "broadband" but physically two different cable?

I don't know the numbers for that particular unicorn of a situation but only a little more than ~20% of the US has two broadband choices of any kind. The free market only works where there is one. It ain't here

sorry to bump my own post but I still would like to see uafanataum's answer to this

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I think we have 3 choices where I live. AT&T, Comcast or Consolidated Communication. We're riding with Comcast and I'm running 120-130 mbps. It's great for Mesicun Midget Tranny pron streaming.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
sorry to bump my own post but I still would like to see uafanataum's answer to this
Sorry, been at work all day. I live in Montgomery. We have 2 cable providers ( spectrum and wow). We also have Dish and Directv and one of them uses at&t. Mostly the prices and competition I think is due to the free market but I must admit to one thing. About 11 or 12 years ago (cannot remember exactly) there was an article in the newspaper. Apparently cities have contracts with cable companies that expire after so many years. Our mayor wanted to get more out of one of the cable companies that was called knology then ( now bought out by WOW). He however said in an interview that he was not willing to pressure them so much as to force them out of Montgomery because 2 cable companies in a city is a good thing. So we can give some small credit to the local government for not screwing that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.