Obama wants to make the internet a utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
It should surprise no one that Trump sides with big business over the people.
The issue is with which big business they are siding with. They are picking a few dozen large companies over the 1000's of companies that rely on the internet. It is critical to the US economy and should be regulated as such. The telcos will do nothing except stifle innovation. If it were up to them, Netflix's of the world wouldn't be here. They would be able to afford making it out of the startup phase.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
That actually brings up something that feels a little odd with this attack on net neutrality. Three years ago we had many big time tech companies come out and voice there support for net neutrality. Companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, etc. all were very vocal about the need for net neutrality. There was even and internet "blackout" day where many websites replaced there homepage with a black page and only a link to information about net neutrality. I'm curious why these companies and websites have not started coming out in force this time around? Have Microsoft, Google and Netflix given up?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
That actually brings up something that feels a little odd with this attack on net neutrality. Three years ago we had many big time tech companies come out and voice there support for net neutrality. Companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, etc. all were very vocal about the need for net neutrality. There was even and internet "blackout" day where many websites replaced there homepage with a black page and only a link to information about net neutrality. I'm curious why these companies and websites have not started coming out in force this time around? Have Microsoft, Google and Netflix given up?
Or seen that they might lose this fight and bought into the future already.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
3 years ago we had an administration that wasn't nearly as vindictive when someone questioned their agenda. That administration was also largely pro- net-neutrality so taking a stand didn't have very high risk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/8/15577988/ajit-pai-protest-door-hangers-fcc-net-neutrality-proposal

Federal Communications Commission chairman Ajit Pai unveiled his plans to reverse net neutrality last month, and the proposal is expected to face an initial vote on May 18th. While net neutrality supporters have displayed their opposition to Pai’s continued stance against the 2015 ruling in a few creative ways, this weekend a campaign aimed to hit the chairman close to home — literally.

On Sunday, protesters from the Protect Our Internet campaign went around Pai’s neighborhood in Arlington, Virginia, and distributed door hangers at nearby homes, prompting people to be aware of their neighbor’s efforts to limit internet freedom. The flyers feature a black-and-white photo of Pai, along with a short description of the chairman’s background and how his proposal would roll back open internet rules.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
CajunCrimson;2592964[B said:
]Your opinion matters to me about as much as ..... seebell's.... lol (and that's not a compliment....[/B].) -- but to each his own.

The good news, is that if I'm wrong, and Obama and his team are genuinely out to make America a better place -- I'm good to go.....

If I'm right -- I'm fairly sure the lefties get drug into the courtyard first........
You hurt my feelings! You are now officially on my doo doo list:tongue:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
appears to be down again
They were busy getting DDoS'd today.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fcc-idUSKBN18428T

The whole "fast lane" point of view cracks me up. Speed of light is speed of light. All QoS would do is make a whole lot of other stuff slower.

The net neutrality rules, which the FCC put in place in 2015, prohibit broadband providers from giving or selling access to speedy internet, essentially a "fast lane," to certain internet services over others. Pai wants comment on whether the FCC should retain rules governing provider conduct.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/15610744/anti-net-neutrality-fake-comments-identities

This week, thousands posted comments on the FCC’s website in response to a proposed rollback of net neutrality internet protections, weighing in on whether and how to defend the open internet. John Oliver encouraged viewers to post to a public comment thread with support for strong regulation, and a massive number of people did so. But many others appeared to have a different point of view.

“The unprecedented regulatory power the Obama Administration imposed on the internet is smothering innovation, damaging the American economy and obstructing job creation,” read thousands of identical comments posted this week, seemingly by different concerned individuals. The comment goes on to give a vigorous defense of deregulation, calling the rules a “power grab” and saying the rollback represents “a positive step forward.” By midday Tuesday, the thread was inundated with versions of the comment. A search of the duplicated text found more than 58,000 results as of press time, with 17,000 of those posted in the last 24 hours alone.

The comments seem to be posted by different, real people, with addresses attached. But people contacted by The Verge said they did not write the comments and have no idea where the posts came from.

“That doesn’t even sound like verbiage I would use,” says Nancy Colombo of Connecticut, whose name and address appeared alongside the comment.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15626278/net-neutrality-spam-bot-fcc-leak-data

did you file a notice with the FCC? You sure?

In March, security researcher Chris Vickery made a remarkable discovery. In one of the most notable operations of its kind, he said in a blog post, a group called River City Media had collected about 1.4 billion personal information records, and was using them for spam. “Chances are that you, or at least someone you know, is affected,” Vickery wrote. RCM said it had used legitimate marketing practices to collect the data, but regardless, the scope of the program was massive, and when the records leaked, it left a mountain of personal information exposed.

Often when these sorts of records leak, they’re used for fraud. But RCM’s data may have been put to a political use. As The Verge reported yesterday, tens of thousands of identical anti-net neutrality comments tied to real names and addresses were bombarding the FCC. Now, some clues suggest those identities were pulled from the RCM dump or other similar data leaks.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The FCC just voted to move forward on repealing Net Neutrality, despite the overwhelming proportion of (real) comments made during their public consideration period being strongly in favor of preserving met Neutrality.

Here's the future the GOP will grant us:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
That's the future. These companies are not going to let us cord cutters ruin there business model. Internet becomes the new cable.

Here's the future the GOP will grant us:
This was going to happen no matter who ended up in the WH. Hillary's biggest contributor were telecoms. "In fact, Clinton [took] in more money from Big Cable than all of the other presidential candidates combined." She's not going to take all that money and then appoint an FCC chairman that would destroy the telecom's business model. Plus, her hubby help put us in this mess to begin with back in '96. This is not a party line issue, this is a lobbyist buying our politicians issue.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This was going to happen no matter who ended up in the WH... This is not a party line issue, this is a lobbyist buying our politicians issue.
If that second clause is true, why did Obama start us doing an the road to enshrining net neutrality? I do not believe for a second that a Democratic president would have nominated someone like Pai in 2017 to tear down what Obama spent 8 years trying to do.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
And I don't believe that she took all that money just to turn around and screw the people that gave it to her. As with everything in politics, follow the money.

Look, this isn't a vote of confidence for Trump, I can't stand the idiot and feel like a fool for voting for him. This was a big issue for me during the campaign, unfortunately both candidates were against net neutrality. So I voted for the guy I thought would do more for the middle class, boy was I wrong.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
And I don't believe that she took all that money just to turn around and screw the people that gave it to her. As with everything in politics, follow the money.

Look, this isn't a vote of confidence for Trump, I can't stand the idiot and feel like a fool for voting for him. This was a big issue for me during the campaign, unfortunately both candidates were against net neutrality. So I voted for the guy I thought would do more for the middle class, boy was I wrong.
Oh don't get me wrong, I also follow the money trail when it comes to political allegiance. But just like oil companies, the Telecom lobby literally gives to everyone. Trump trashed net neutrality as terrible during the campaign. Clinton was no Bernie, but she was definitely in support of keeping the rules. Net neutrality support simply happens to be a much bigger issue for the Democratic base than the Republican base right now, for some reason, and just I don't think she would have walked that particular promise back.

We'll have to disagree on this one, I think. All I hear from.Democratic representatives are full-throated defenses of the old FCC rules, and all I hear from the GOP are weak-minded support for Pai's agenda. But regardless whether you think it was or wasn't avoidable, hopefully we can start to fix things in four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.