"Does anyone know where the love of God goes......

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I've done a lot of sea kayaking on Superior....from The Apostles on up to Isle Royale, Sleeping Giant, Nipigon, . There is a saying up there - "The Lake Is Boss". I always traveled with seasoned guys who knew deep water rescues and were very hesitant to tempt danger. That meant staying on shore for the day when the lake was churning. Up there, your weather radio is your friend.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't know if any of you will like this but it's a bit different.

I filmed the sunset from the land side of Duluth (the peninsula is across the bridge).

It kind of hit me when I was there.

The sun sets - and you hear the wind, which adds an effect.

The Fitz went through this channel on her final journey.

Reactions: seebell and Bazza

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Was listening to an old American Top 40. And Casey was saying that over 300 ships have been sunk in Lake Superior on November 10th. The majority on years when it fell on a Tuesday.
The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound
When the wave broke over the railing
And every man knew, as the captain did too
'Twas the witch of November come stealin'

Reactions: seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I don't know if any of you will like this but it's a bit different.

I filmed the sunset from the land side of Duluth (the peninsula is across the bridge).

It kind of hit me when I was there.

The sun sets - and you hear the wind, which adds an effect.

The Fitz went through this channel on her final journey.

Very nice, Bill! You must have used a tripod - no shake in that vid!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Very nice, Bill! You must have used a tripod - no shake in that vid!
I'm old school, but I just learned they have these tiny little snake tripods that are less than a foot long that I can wrap around poles and stuff.

So yes, I did use a tripod, stepped back, and placed the phone under the mic.

Reactions: Bazza

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I always thought Duluth was a neat town and I still have a 60/40, wool-lined coat I bought in Superior. We used to stop there every year on our way to the BWCA and Quetico, Ontario for canoe camping...
We stopped in Superior on both of our trips to the bwca. Never will forget the look on the waitresses face when some asked "you got sweet tea". Funnier was we were ordering breakfast and they all ordered "coke" or "tea - sweet tea". She said we have water or coffee. :biggrin2: on TideFans.com

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
the only time i have been into canada was via canoe in the bwca. i got to do a week and a half trip there with the boy scouts in 1986 or so. great place.
'86 was my first trip there. My pastor took me and 2 buddies up to ely for a weeks worth of camping/fishing.

Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
'86 was my first trip there. My pastor took me and 2 buddies up to ely for a weeks worth of camping/fishing.
it's an incredible place. i ended up having a vet in east point who would take a group every 2 years or so. he loved the place and eventually sold his practice and figured out a way to move up there and do something related to veterinary research.

got to see a great display of the northern lights one evening.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
45 years ago today.......

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — "The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee. The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy." That's the opening line to the 1976 Gordon Lightfoot hit that went to number 2 on the charts.

On the night of November 10, 1975 the Edmund Fitzgerald met its end after the ship in the end sank to the bottom of Lake Superior.

The Edmund Fitzgerald isn't the first ship to end up at the bottom of Lake Superior, but it is one of the most recognized. It's pretty unclear what exactly happened to the ship and unlike other wrecks where crew are found, none of the 29 crew were ever found.

@selmaborntidefan - never forget.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm here in Duluth. Tonight - the time keeps moving back a little bit - but the Arthur Andersen (the ship that last made contact with the Fitz) is coming through the canal sometime between 1030pm and midnight (and - it's snowing here).

If you want to see it, you MAY see me on it. The link is below:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Andersen Tribute To the SS Edmund Fitzgerald

This is my point of view from the evening of November 10th.
Very surreal, Bill......and that ship is HUGE!

I need a horn like that to wake up the cell phone users at traffic lights.

Here is your video, if you don't mind.......

On the night of November 10, 1975, the SS Edmund Fitzgerald vanished into Lake Superior taking 29 brave souls to their eternal resting places. The sister ship that was the last to have contact with "the Fitz" - the Arthur Anderson, piloted by Bernie Cooper - went back out in a futile research/recovery effort. Forty-five years later exactly - on November 10, 2020 - the Arthur Andersen came into the Duluth shipping canal and gave tribute to the Fitz with the "Master salute." Though snow was falling, wind was whipping, and the wind chill was ten degrees, about a dozen brave souls stood in tribute of the Fitz as the Andersen passed through. Upon the completion of the Master salute, one person played Gordon Lightfoot's memorial song, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." This is posted as a tribute to the men on both ships.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Also - if you're on Facebook, the Split Rock Lighthouse will be showing the annual memorial ceremony they have there every year. It's the one time of year they light up the lighthouse nowadays.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza and Toddrn

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.