"Does anyone know where the love of God goes......

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn't remember this but......that's probably because I was six and living in the UK and Algore had not yet invented the Internet.

I went up to Duluth this past summer and caught a brief St Louis Canal trip around Duluth and Superior, Wisconsin. The "highlight" of the trip was them talking about the Edmund Fitzgerald. I LOVE Edmund's voice on that song.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didn't remember this but......that's probably because I was six and living in the UK and Algore had not yet invented the Internet.

I went up to Duluth this past summer and caught a brief St Louis Canal trip around Duluth and Superior, Wisconsin. The "highlight" of the trip was them talking about the Edmund Fitzgerald. I LOVE Edmund's voice on that song.
I always thought Duluth was a neat town and I still have a 60/40, wool-lined coat I bought in Superior. We used to stop there every year on our way to the BWCA and Quetico, Ontario for canoe camping...

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Did you mean Gordon's voice ? ;)

Another good version of the song by tony rice

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
doh. its rare that i miss a seinfeld joke, but it does happen ;)
That's why I didn't even say it - I figured most folks would know it was "stolen" and know the source and laugh hysterically. That scene still kills me all these years later.

"I LOVE Edmund Fitzgerald's voice.....and it was rammed by the Cat Stevens."

:)

Reactions: dtgreg

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That's why I didn't even say it - I figured most folks would know it was "stolen" and know the source and laugh hysterically. That scene still kills me all these years later.

"I LOVE Edmund Fitzgerald's voice.....and it was rammed by the Cat Stevens."

:)
i remember the andrea doria episode, but totally forgot that joke(s).

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Love that song. One of my all time favorites.

Suppertime time came the old cook came on deck says fellas it's too rough to feed ya.

At 7pm the main hatch way gave in he said "fellas it's been good to know ya."

Be a bad feeling

Reactions: FaninLA and Bazza

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I always thought Duluth was a neat town and I still have a 60/40, wool-lined coat I bought in Superior. We used to stop there every year on our way to the BWCA and Quetico, Ontario for canoe camping...
I agree with you on that.

I would have never just said, "Let me go there." I have a female friend from Minnesota, and I'm on this quest to see all fifty states before I'm fifty (I'm 45 and I've got 41 in the books). My only prior visit to Minnesota had been the airport (12/26/03 and 1/5/04 on the return flight). So I was fishing around the net and found some cheap Southwest flights from Love Field to Minneapolis. I'd been looking at going to Wisconsin anyway and taking in a Brewers game. So I made a deal with myself - if I got within five days of the plane leaving and it was still $89 one way, I'd go to Minneapolis, rent a car, drive down to Iowa and over to Wisconsin (and hit the UP of Michigan) and take in a Twins game. My friend (Sue) told me I really should just take my time and go up to Duluth and maybe take a trip out into Superior. I'd never seen ANY of the Great Lakes before.

That sight - the first time - coming over that hill and down into Duluth and seeing the sunrise sparkle on the lake was truly awesome. I wound up taking a real cheap little ferry out into Superior about a mile and listening to the stories about the old salt mines and a bunch of stuff - and, of course, the Edmund Fitzgerald. (In a strange coincidence, Lightfoot was actually going to be in Duluth two weeks after i was).

So I enjoyed the town. Oh....and 46 degrees at 10 am on June 4th (while 82 in Dallas)? LOVED it!!!

Reactions: seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree with you on that.

I would have never just said, "Let me go there." I have a female friend from Minnesota, and I'm on this quest to see all fifty states before I'm fifty (I'm 45 and I've got 41 in the books). My only prior visit to Minnesota had been the airport (12/26/03 and 1/5/04 on the return flight). So I was fishing around the net and found some cheap Southwest flights from Love Field to Minneapolis. I'd been looking at going to Wisconsin anyway and taking in a Brewers game. So I made a deal with myself - if I got within five days of the plane leaving and it was still $89 one way, I'd go to Minneapolis, rent a car, drive down to Iowa and over to Wisconsin (and hit the UP of Michigan) and take in a Twins game. My friend (Sue) told me I really should just take my time and go up to Duluth and maybe take a trip out into Superior. I'd never seen ANY of the Great Lakes before.

That sight - the first time - coming over that hill and down into Duluth and seeing the sunrise sparkle on the lake was truly awesome. I wound up taking a real cheap little ferry out into Superior about a mile and listening to the stories about the old salt mines and a bunch of stuff - and, of course, the Edmund Fitzgerald. (In a strange coincidence, Lightfoot was actually going to be in Duluth two weeks after i was).

So I enjoyed the town. Oh....and 46 degrees at 10 am on June 4th (while 82 in Dallas)? LOVED it!!!
Yeah, and the opposite temperature shock can happen. Several years ago, we took off for the BWCA and Quetico over the Labor Day weekend. From prior experience, we packed extra clothing and a nylon fly to cook under, in the event of rain, which we'd always had before. It was a strange trip in a lot of ways. We got a ride for ourselves and canoes across Lake Saganawa, crossed over into Canada and turned east all the way out to Boundary Point, which is the end of Quetico Park and where Crown Lands (same as our USFS land). The temps crept up until it was 90 in the shade. We had to use the rain fly to keep the sun off. The fishing was pretty lousy, with the wind and heat. On top of that, we almost drowned getting out. A backdoor cold front from the NE slammed into us as we were trying to maneuver the canoes up into Hook Island, which was our pickup point. My wife was in the bow, drawing us up into the wind. I was in the back, sweeping right, trying to accomplish the same. At one point, I said, well shouted, "If you tire out, we die." Over her shoulder, she shouted back that she was aware of that. Strange trip. We intended, coming out to stay in Duluth. (Nothing worth staying in, in Grand Marais, where the Gunflint trail ends back on Superior.) We stayed short in Lutsen in a ski condo, which was dirt cheap out of ski season. It had a beautiful view of Superior. As I said, strange trip and not one I'll ever forget...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the only time i have been into canada was via canoe in the bwca. i got to do a week and a half trip there with the boy scouts in 1986 or so. great place.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.