BET, Or Anybody, Concerning The Changes At Florida.....

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If you had to speculate, would there be any recruits on the board that you think this would have the most impact upon ( UF vs. UA, of course ) ?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
The coaching change at Florida is going to have a big impact on a whole slew of recruits, including Thomas, Jefferson, and Cowart. As far as those three are concerned, I feel it's essentially wait-and-see mode until Florida names a replacement.

Doubt it has any real impact on Ridley or Burgess-Becker, though admittedly crazier things have happened.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
If if knocks the hire out of the park, not much. But there's a good chance we might b able to make up some ground on a few guys now. I would also say to watch where muschamp ends up. He'll likely b a d coordinator but he might take a few with him.

MS TN NC Tidefan

3rd Team
Jan 2, 2003
Huntersville, NC, USA
Florida is supposedly leaning towards hiring an "offensive minded" coach. This could help with some of the defensive player we are trying to land.

It will be interesting to see if Muschamp takes a year to rethink things. A reported $6-7 million buyout, can keep him comfortable while he looks for the right landing position. I would imagine he will have LOTS of choices.... head coach or DC.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The thing is, Players who are looking to enroll in Jan... Might not want to wait til December for FSU to make their hire... so, That's where Bama, Auburn, Miss state, and others comes in...

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
My theory is that USCe should hire Muschamp to replace Lorenzo Ward, and that UF will end up snagging Mullen (so he can avoid the dumpster fire that will be MSU in 2015).

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If they want togo after a offensive minded HC, despite Oklahoma St not being in the NC hunt the last couple of years, I think Gundy would be a pretty good hire for Florida & I think Gundy would be a great hire for The Gators..Gundy could "Cherry Pick" Florida recruits & could land some really speedy offensive players to run his offense..And Oklahoma St under Gundy always fields a pretty solid defense & has held their own against Texas & Oklahoma over the years under Gundy..That's just my opinion & I honestly think Gundy would be a solid hire for Florida should they want an offensive minded HC..

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Any latest words on those commits
Not really, given the lack of any firm developments at Florida. No one is going to be able to say anything particularly enlightening on these guys until Florida actually has a hire in place, and I think we are probably 4-10 days away from that.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
We'll be getting some actual sense of this shortly, but if McElwain is the guy -- and that certainly looks to be all but a done deal at this point -- my instinct tells me that it could make it fairly tough for 'Bama with a lot of these guys.

FWIW, I never really thought McElwain was all of that great of a recruiter, so I don't think that hurts us, but with that said I do think it's fair to say that he will run an Alabama-esque program in Gainesville, with similar schemes and program mentality. For someone out there who thinks, "I really like what Alabama is doing and I want to be part of that," but would otherwise like to stay a little closer to home, I think McElwain can give them a viable alternative in Gainesville. That could obviously apply to kids like Jefferson and Cowart. Likewise, for kids who would seemingly otherwise want to go to Florida but in general really likes the way Alabama does business, this makes Florida a much more attractive destination. You may be able to include Adonis Thomas under that penumbra.

Maybe that's right, maybe that's wrong, we'll see. Like I said, just the raw instinct on my part, and I'm not claiming any special insight at this point. We'll just have to pay close attention to recruit reaction in the next several days.

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
We'll be getting some actual sense of this shortly, but if McElwain is the guy -- and that certainly looks to be all but a done deal at this point -- my instinct tells me that it could make it fairly tough for 'Bama with a lot of these guys.

FWIW, I never really thought McElwain was all of that great of a recruiter, so I don't think that hurts us, but with that said I do think it's fair to say that he will run an Alabama-esque program in Gainesville, with similar schemes and program mentality. For someone out there who thinks, "I really like what Alabama is doing and I want to be part of that," but would otherwise like to stay a little closer to home, I think McElwain can give them a viable alternative in Gainesville. That could obviously apply to kids like Jefferson and Cowart. Likewise, for kids who would seemingly otherwise want to go to Florida but in general really likes the way Alabama does business, this makes Florida a much more attractive destination. You may be able to include Adonis Thomas under that penumbra.

Maybe that's right, maybe that's wrong, we'll see. Like I said, just the raw instinct on my part, and I'm not claiming any special insight at this point. We'll just have to pay close attention to recruit reaction in the next several days.
That makes a ton of sense. I really do believe he'll have them competing, which is good for the SEC (especially the East).

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

Reasonable point, but I'm not so sure a recruit's thought process generally operates in that way. Probably a good set of considerations for a coach to pitch to a prospect, but whether that pitch is successful is going to come down to the coach's skill as a recruiter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.