Best Bama Bball team ever?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'll second that. 1976.

If not for the bogus charging call on Leon Douglas at center court, that would be our National Chamoionship team.

82 could have made the final four in another regional.
Wow. You went way back to dig up this thread. The '76 team was great but will give a slight advantage to the 86-87 team. That team was loaded and if not for Donovan w/ Pitino we would have been a Final 4 team.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Wow. You went way back to dig up this thread. The '76 team was great but will give a slight advantage to the 86-87 team. That team was loaded and if not for Donovan w/ Pitino we would have been a Final 4 team.
The 76 team was easily the best team in Bama history. Bobby Knight, whose undefeated national championship team came from behind in the last three minutes to beat us said and still say's, "The best college basketball team I ever coached against"...
Five Parade All-Americans in the starting line up..two first round NBA picks(Douglas-King), three second round picks.
Let's put it this way...in 76 we were ranked number two at some point with a 22-3 record, Florida upset us in Gainesville on a tap in at the buzzer and their students stormed the court and cut down the nets! Think about how times have changed.
We had modern day Kentucky talent over 40 years ago because Bama was a hotbed for recruiting talent.
Had we somehow convinced Allen Murphy from Parker High in B'Ham to sign with Bama instead of Louisville, we may very well have won four straight national titles. UCLA, under John Wooden wouldn't have had as much talent.
Not being negative, but if C.M. Newton had just rolled the ball on the court and said, "Go play"...nobody could have beaten us. He tried to instill discipline and a conservative offense and I never understood why. If he had let 'em loose they would have killed everybody!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The 76 team was easily the best team in Bama history. Bobby Knight, whose undefeated national championship team came from behind in the last three minutes to beat us said and still say's, "The best college basketball team I ever coached against"...
Five Parade All-Americans in the starting line up..two first round NBA picks(Douglas-King), three second round picks.
Let's put it this way...in 76 we were ranked number two at some point with a 22-3 record, Florida upset us in Gainesville on a tap in at the buzzer and their students stormed the court and cut down the nets! Think about how times have changed.
We had modern day Kentucky talent over 40 years ago because Bama was a hotbed for recruiting talent.
Had we somehow convinced Allen Murphy from Parker High in B'Ham to sign with Bama instead of Louisville, we may very well have won four straight national titles. UCLA, under John Wooden wouldn't have had as much talent.
Not being negative, but if C.M. Newton had just rolled the ball on the court and said, "Go play"...nobody could have beaten us. He tried to instill discipline and a conservative offense and I never understood why. If he had let 'em loose they would have killed everybody!
The 86 team had 6 NBA players.....

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/alabama/1987.html

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Yes, If Only Bama had landed Alan Murphy...

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Very aware of that Cajun, but they weren't as good as 76, at least in my opinion. The 86-87 team was very good but the 76 team was totally dominating in most games.
Can you help me with the starting five?

Leon Douglas
TR Dunn
Anthony Murray
Reggie King

Who was the other? Was it Brown?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.