Best Bama Bball team ever?

Namath12

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 9, 2005
I am 33 years old and have been watching Bama basketball for atleast 20 years. I really believe the 87 team that lost to Providence in the sweet sixteen was the best team, I have ever seen at Bama. Last years team was great. 1987 was my favorite team though.

Roll Tide 2005 Final Four!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
hard to tell

Obviously last year's team getting to the Elite Eight is the best that we've ever done. However- I know that most people tend to think that the team that lost in sweet 16 to providence was the best. I don't know really. I was only ten when that game took place so from my viewpoint I would have to say last year's team. But- the team from a couple years ago- Mo Williams- Rod Grizzard- Erwin Dudley- that team was probably the best regular season team that i remember. If memory serves me right- we were a 2 seed? Lost- what- 5 games?

Gman4Bama

3rd Team
May 18, 2004
Oxford, Alabama
I feel like the team that lost to indiana in the sweet 16 with Reggie King, T.R. Dunn, Leon Douglas and others. If dunking was legal Bama would have a National Championship in Bball now. Bama played indiana closer than anyone all year. After that game Bobby Knight came into bama's locker room and said guys the national championship game was played tonight. And sure enough indiana blew everyone else out.

Roll Tide
Gman

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
We will see. It certainly has the potential to be the best ever. If Arizona or Duke had 4 of 5 starters returning and the 5th was one of the top 5 freshman point guards in the country, every one and their brother would be picking them to win the championship.

The entire starting five are all NBA prospects. I don't think that ever could be said about Alabama before. Maybe you could have said that about the 1987 team. I think that this team isn't quite as deep as some of our prior teams. Also, we have had better defensive teams. The 1989-90 team was probably the best defensive Bama team that I have seen. That was the team that held Loyola Marymount to 60-something points when no one else held them under 100. This years team did a lot better against Arkansas last night than some prior games though. Maybe we are starting to see an improvement.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Well the '87 team had 4 NBA Players in the starting 5, and Terry Conner at the point......Mark Gottfried got drafted by the Pistons in the 7th round, Farmer was a first round pick by the Mavs, McKey was a first round pick by Seattle, and Michael Ansley was drafted by the Orlando Magic......and I definitely think Conner was an NBA Caliber player........

But, the Dudley, Walker, Grizzard, Meade, Mo team.......probably was the biggest under achieving team....all the way around.......the talent was there....

Last edited:

PsychoJoe

Suspended
Jul 5, 2002
Pelham, Alabama
That is a tough question. Under the rules as they existed at the time, the 1976 team was awesome. though if you could transport them to today's game, they had no outside shooters other then Ricky Brown. Leon Douglas, T R Dunn and Reginald King all had fairly long NBA careers. Ricky Brown turned down the NBA and played for the Globetrotters for a good many years, but I have no doubt he could have succeeded in the NBA. Anthony Murray was an outstanding ball handler and tremendous on the ball defender, but he had no touch whatever on offense. There is no doubt in my mind that this team was our greatest defensive team ever.

IMO, if they played the 87 team, it would depend on whether there was a three point shot or not. If not, the 76 team had so much inside power that they would have beaten the 87 team soundly. Under the three point rule, though, the advantage would tilt to the 87 team.

Just as footnote, since I am probably the only poster to see them play, the 1955-56 Ricket 8, which went 22-4 and 14-0 in the SEC was a pretty spiffy club in its own right. They were the first team ever to hang 100 on Kentucky, and had two stars who would have been good in any era: deadly outside shooter George Linn, and center Jerry Harper (who still holds many Alabama season and career records in scoring and rebounding).

Riverview Red

Scout Team
Nov 5, 2001
Decatur Alabama ,USA
My father always says that the best Bama team he ever saw was the "Rocket Eight" in the mid-50's. They didn't go to the NCAA tourney because some of the players played on the varsity as freshman. They were the first team to score 100 points on Kentucky. Rupp reportedly pitched a fit at Garrett Arena in Montgomery.

LegionField

1st Team
Sep 21, 2004
AL
My top 5

4.1950's "rocket eight"
5.1990-92 "waites,cheatum,horry,spree, and hollywood" era

Jan 22, 2003
Germantown,Tn USA
Gman4Bama said:
I feel like the team that lost to indiana in the sweet 16 with Reggie King, T.R. Dunn, Leon Douglas and others. If dunking was legal Bama would have a National Championship in Bball now. Bama played indiana closer than anyone all year. After that game Bobby Knight came into bama's locker room and said guys the national championship game was played tonight. And sure enough indiana blew everyone else out.

Roll Tide
Gman
Without a doubt, the best so far was this team that lost to IU.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Bebes said:
the team with Sprewell, Horry and Benoit...
I believe Benoit left in 1990 and Sprewell played 90-91 and 91-92. :eek2:

75-76, 86-87 teams
Benoit, Askins, Waites, Sanders, Cheatum, Horry--(88-89 maybe)
Buck Johnson, Bobby Lee Hurt, Enis Whatley team
Horry, Sprewell, Robinson team--91-92(Caffey freshman?)
McDyess, Caffey, Rogers--94-95

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
The '76 team was the best I've seen.

The '82 team ran into NC (Jordan, Worthy, Perkins) in the tourney and played them close
I'll second that. 1976.

If not for the bogus charging call on Leon Douglas at center court, that would be our National Chamoionship team.

82 could have made the final four in another regional.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Rocket 8, 1976, 1987 and the team that lost to Marymount

I go with 76 because were probably the second best team in the nation that year, maybe better - I think we were obviously easily capable of beating Indiana. Had the NCAA been set up then like it is now, I think we make The Final Four and have a real shot at #1.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I believe Benoit left in 1990 and Sprewell played 90-91 and 91-92. :eek2:

75-76, 86-87 teams
Benoit, Askins, Waites, Sanders, Cheatum, Horry--(88-89 maybe)
Buck Johnson, Bobby Lee Hurt, Enis Whatley team
Horry, Sprewell, Robinson team--91-92(Caffey freshman?)
McDyess, Caffey, Rogers--94-95
That was a really good squad, and played during a up time in the SEC basketball as well. Was a lot of parity between teams ... the showdowns with Miss State were always fun.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.