Wow! What a diatribe against the SEC by Gameday!

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I'm still chaffed by that. It's ridiculous, and down right dishonest. They made it sound like the SEC was the only conference to play FCS schools, and all of the major conferences do that. I know their point is that it shouldn't happen this late in the season, but what's the difference between us scheduling this game as a late season warm-up to our rival, as opposed to Oregon opening against South Dakota? I love Herbstriet, but he really ticked me off today saying the SEC should be penalized for these games.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
How soon do they forget that the SEC has in-conference games for teams as early as week 1 and throughout September while most teams across the nation are playing 4 cupcakes.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
As I look at THE Ohio State's 2013's schedule where they played Buffalo, San Diego State and Florida A&M in 3 of their first 4 games with them beating A&M like 76 - 0. It is getting quite political over at ESPN at the flagship.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Not all schools play FCS, and the Big Ten has a rule , no non-conference games after league play begins. I am in the minority I guess, it hurts league perception when most of the big Schools in conference , play FCS on the same weekend.
ESPN loves SEC games in August, but seems to want it both ways. I suspect there will be scheduling changes in the coming years. Guess we will have to wait to see what comes from the power 5 meetings.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Missed the rant, but if it was about SEC schools scheduling FCS schools, I agree - it shouldn't be allowed. It's ridiculous - simply an invitation to injury.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Moving to 9 conference games, drop the cake?

I'm hearing it more and more in the media this week (a segment devoted to it on ganeday today, no less than 5 articles-even from pro sec writers-read this week, and several other national conversations) about the shame/pointlessness/etc of this traditional late season no name game.

My question is, with OOC (out of conference) games combined written SOS (strength of sched) becoming more and more important with the CFB playoff committee, how long before this is addressed?

And before 50 people say the same thing regarding the difficulty of the conference (which I agree with) the fact is it may become harder to argue that when early season favorites (USCe, LSU) to have at least a decent season perform the way they have so far. Sure, the Mississippies rose to the occasion to fill a void in quality this season, but there's been a big drop off IMO among the conference (thanks Florida.)

Maybe CNS saw the writing on the way years ago when he voted for the 9 game conference schedule.

Link http://www.abc3340.com/story/22441349/alabamas-nick-saban-calling-for-9-game-league-schedule-in-sec

Even if we played another fbs team I imagine it would look better for Bama.

Thoughts?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Also missed the rant, but they are only upset because today's TV schedule stinks. They have nothing to talk about other than Harvard vs Yale, LOL.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Re: Moving to 9 conference games, drop the cake?

I'm hearing it more and more in the media this week (a segment devoted to it on ganeday today, no less than 5 articles-even from pro sec writers-read this week, and several other national conversations) about the shame/pointlessness/etc of this traditional late season no name game.

My question is, with OOC (out of conference) games combined written SOS (strength of sched) becoming more and more important with the CFB playoff committee, how long before this is addressed?

And before 50 people say the same thing regarding the difficulty of the conference (which I agree with) the fact is it may become harder to argue that when early season favorites (USCe, LSU) to have at least a decent season perform the way they have so far. Sure, the Mississippies rose to the occasion to fill a void in quality this season, but there's been a big drop off IMO among the conference (thanks Florida.)

Maybe CNS saw the writing on the way years ago when he voted for the 9 game conference schedule.

Link http://www.abc3340.com/story/22441349/alabamas-nick-saban-calling-for-9-game-league-schedule-in-sec

Even if we played another fbs team I imagine it would look better for Bama.

Thoughts?
I said in the other thread , let's see what comes from the power 5 meetings. I know scheduling will be a topic, as will paying 10k/year to student athletes( Texas was merely reacting to the inevitable) and also 4 year /lifetime scholarships. I think some are waiting for the Big12 to invite 2 more teams and play a conference championship game.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I don't get why its bad to play weak games now, and not so bad near the beginning of the season. Actually what is much worse is that the Big 12 stretches their season out one week while not playing a championship game....so they all have an extra bye week.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

well that last time the coaches voted on it, the vote was 13-1 in favor of keeping 8. We all know who the one was. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

I said in the other thread , let's see what comes from the power 5 meetings. I know scheduling will be a topic, as will paying 10k/year to student athletes( Texas was merely reacting to the inevitable) and also 4 year /lifetime scholarships. I think some are waiting for the Big12 to invite 2 more teams and play a conference championship game.
Is there a big group meeting or just the results of each?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, I do agree that I wish that FCS games go the dodo bird. Still, there is some intellectual dishonesty in the rant. If you schedule an FCS team in September, no one cares. If you do it in November because your conference has scheduled dates in September, people go crazy.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.