Where do you purchase your books?

Where do you perchase your books?

• Total voters

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
I tend to get mine from Thrift stores. You can usually find nearly new books for cheap. I bought 10 today for less than one would cost in Wal-Mart. ( 3.75 out the door) :)

CrimsonNan

BamaNation Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA
Sometimes at Barnes & Noble, and sometimes Amazon. I ordered a book from them last week on the "new and used" cheapo list. It cost a dollar plus $3.49 S&H. It came in a week, and I gotta tell ya, it has to be brand new. NO ONE has touched this book. I love it!

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I buy books wherever I happen to be when I need a new one. That means everywhere, but usually in department stores. I rarely (3-4 times/yr) go to one of the big book stores, and then only when I am looking for something specific that I want to read NOW!!! I buy books on the internet only when I plan my reading ahead - not often...

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Like NYBamaFan, I'm a spontanious buyer and buy books whenever I spot one I want to read. If I see one at a store I seldom ask myself if I should wait and see how much I can get it from another source. Unless the price is rediculous I will go ahead and pick it up. Garage sales, estate sales, used book stores, online, book outlets. It just doesn't matter to me.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
Book buying...

I'm a library lover. I usually hit our local brand at least every 2 to 3 weeks. So, anything new, I normally get it from there. However, I love to visit the flea market and go through the thousands of books there. I can always find 5 or 6 for $5.00 on every visit!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
I mostly come on to the Bookends Board and click on the Amazon logo; then buy forty or fifty dollars worth of books. That way, Tidefans gets a cut.

I used to be an impulse buyer...but now I almost always buy with an eye to what I want to read next, or next after that.

OOPS...silly me. I actually came on here to go through to Amazon, but now I see the ads are gone!! :confused:

Last edited:

Bama in VA

Scout Team
Mar 1, 2005
First, I get books from my friend and fellow alum. I like her selection of books better than my own. Periodically, I give her money for "our" books.

Second, Costco, Amazon, and Borders. I usually decide that I want a particular book or another book by an author I enjoyed and just don't want to bother with the traffic.

However, I used to go to a used book store and trade books. Problem: Not enough current books.

I donate books to Salvation Army a lot. So I would imagine that would be a good source.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I meander into Dollar Tree on occasion for no other reason than to see what hardback books have landed on the shelves.

I've gotten books by William Bennett and Cal Thomas for $1.00.

I

It's On A Slab

I've probably sold more books than I've bought on Amazon.

Bodhisattva said:
I'm an Amazon.com guy. And, if at all possible, I buy hardback books. They just look better on the shelf -- like a trophy.

Bodhi
The great thing about that site is....if you don't really like the book, you can always get some of your money back by selling it again.

I bought a technical book and re-sold it for $10 more than I paid for it.

I also got a pristine copy of The Communist Manifesto that I light incense before every night. Right next to my Bhagavad Geta and Joy of Hemp Farming.

pcolatide

All-SEC
Sep 4, 2004
Snug Harbor, Florida
My daughter is a part time writer and has three books published. She is a big reader and so is my wife. I just go thru their stacks and find something I like. The local library is on the way to the grocery store so I stop there about once a month and donate books and browse for something to read. A lot of books come to us as gifts as all our friends know our habits.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.