Ole Miss' recruiting game uncovered.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Found this thing going around.

The Ole Miss Recruiting Playbook:

Orgeron was game-changer for them in recruiting. He just wasnt a HC. Nutts continued the recruiting- but was just riding things out and didnt have the passion anymore. Freezus has come in with the same passion for recruiting as Orgeron and can actually coach a little. Here is Orgeron's legacy being played out by Freezus:

1. They created a "little black book" of Rebel Alumni across the nation that want to be a part of The Network.

2. Create a list of 25 targets across the nation and get it to The Network.

3. Network member closest to said target finds a way to make contact with that recruit's family. Find an "in". Figure out who is going to control the recruitment for the family and see what it will take to get a visit. Pay recruits to visit. Get them on campus.

4. Asst coach recruiting said player shares info with local member of The Network and vice versa.

5. As the year moves on and the recruiting process progresses- the coaches and The Network start narrowing down who is responding and what the family wants to sign.

6. Set the big Recruit-a-palooza weekend well in advance so Alumni can make plans to be in town that weekend. Always have it coincide with a basketball game if possible. Make Oxford appear busy and populated. Make sure Alumni know faces of these recruits so they give them "handshakes" to make their trip even more exciting. Make the recruits feel like rock stars. Make Oxford seem like the most awesome place in America for that weekend.

7. Seal the "deal" in the exit interview. Local member of The Network handles it and payment is made. Money is funneled through an Aunt or other member of the family in most cases to make it untraceable. Ive even heard about it being funneled through a girlfriend's family in one instance. Set up loan's for houses and such where the money from the Aunt pays off the loan. Stuff like that. Very creative.

8. Reap rewards on Signing Day

When you hear Freezus talk about his "12 month plan"- this is what he is referring to. He and his guys bust their ... in recruiting. They really do. They have athletic department workers playing recruits in Playstation online while they talk to them on headsets. They can even do crap like this during the dead period. They are very creative- because they also know they have The Network behind them to close some of these deals.

Auburn, Florida State, Tennessee, and others do things like this as well. It's not just Ole Miss doing it. I wouldn't be suprised if we had a little scheme going as well, all is fair in love and war. And it is truly a war out there.

Fun fact:"Ole Miss" originally was a name slaves used for a plantation owner's wife.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Found this thing going around. The Ole Miss Recruiting Playbook: Orgeron was game-changer for them in recruiting. He just wasnt a HC. Nutts continued the recruiting- but was just riding things out and didnt have the passion anymore. Freezus has come in with the same passion for recruiting as Orgeron and can actually coach a little. Here is Orgeron's legacy being played out by Freezus:1. They created a "little black book" of Rebel Alumni across the nation that want to be a part of The Network. 2. Create a list of 25 targets across the nation and get it to The Network. 3. Network member closest to said target finds a way to make contact with that recruit's family. Find an "in". Figure out who is going to control the recruitment for the family and see what it will take to get a visit. Pay recruits to visit. Get them on campus4. Asst coach recruiting said player shares info with local member of The Network and vice versa5. As the year moves on and the recruiting process progresses- the coaches and The Network start narrowing down who is responding and what the family wants to sign. 6. Set the big Recruit-a-palooza weekend well in advance so Alumni can make plans to be in town that weekend. Always have it coincide with a basketball game if possible. Make Oxford appear busy and populated. Make sure Alumni know faces of these recruits so they give them "handshakes" to make their trip even more exciting. Make the recruits feel like rock stars. Make Oxford seem like the most awesome place in America for that weekend. 7. Seal the "deal" in the exit interview. Local member of The Network handles it and payment is made. Money is funneled through an Aunt or other member of the family in most cases to make it untraceable. Ive even heard about it being funneled through a girlfriend's family in one instance. Set up loan's for houses and such where the money from the Aunt pays off the loan. Stuff like that. Very creative. 8. Reap rewards on Signing DayWhen you hear Freezus talk about his "12 month plan"- this is what he is referring to. He and his guys bust their ... in recruiting. They really do. They have athletic department workers playing recruits in Playstation online while they talk to them on headsets. They can even do crap like this during the dead period. They are very creative- because they also know they have The Network behind them to close some of these deals. Auburn, Florida State, Tennessee, and others do things like this as well. It's not just Ole Miss doing it. I wouldn't be suprised if we had a little scheme going as well, all is fair in love and war. And it is truly a war out there. Fun fact:"Ole Miss" originally was a name slaves used for a plantation owner's wife.
Most of that sounds like recruiting that goes on at most major football schools. To think otherwise would be naïve..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That sounds pretty much like the SB Nation article "Meet the Bag Man: How to Buy Players, in the Words of a Man Who Delivers the Money" from this past April. Link

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013
No doubt this is going on at other schools besides Ole Miss...no doubt in my mind. I think Ole Miss is just the master of this.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
This board has been going on about $$$$ at Ole Miss for going on 6 years (Bobby Massey?).

It's puzzling how so many here know/can find out all about it, yet the NCAA doesn't/can't.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
When confronted with the possibility that we don't do the same thing, I always make the claim that it's a dog eat dog world, and if you think Ohio state, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Oregon, or even North Dakota State doesn't do the same thing, you are mistaken. And you know what? Further more, If I was a recruit, I would take every penny I could get my paws on from every school.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
When confronted with the possibility that we don't do the same thing, I always make the claim that it's a dog eat dog world, and if you think Ohio state, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Oregon, or even North Dakota State doesn't do the same thing, you are mistaken. And you know what? Further more, If I was a recruit, I would take every penny I could get my paws on from every school.
Yep. I seriously think every school in the SEC (save Vanderbilt) is literally pointing a gun at the other schools saying, "If you tell, we tell...."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is my belief that these things happen everywhere in varying degrees. I get that some schools do more of it than others, but all that does is increase the likelihood that they will eventually get caught. Keep it small, keep it personal, keep out unnecessary people. The larger the $$$ and the more people involved, the greater the chance that someone will talk.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hope that whoever is having the most success is not indicative of who is spending the most money, because I don't believe we're passing out more money than anyone else. One thing to look for is improbable event - a kid signs with a school he never had on his list until NSD; a kid commits to a school he's never visited, etc. OM leads in these events the last several years. A long-time friend of mine owns the largest Bama-related pay site. He has been open about saying that OM has been pulling stuff no one else has or even would think about doing. FWIW, he's a very straight shooter and I've never heard him talk about another school this way, not even AU. Has any HC in the SEC ever held a press conference before to deny accusations of cheating like Freeze did? Think about that...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hope that whoever is having the most success is not indicative of who is spending the most money, because I don't believe we're passing out more money than anyone else. One thing to look for is improbable event - a kid signs with a school he never had on his list until NSD; a kid commits to a school he's never visited, etc. OM leads in these events the last several years. A long-time friend of mine owns the largest Bama-related pay site. He has been open about saying that OM has been pulling stuff no one else has or even would think about doing. FWIW, he's a very straight shooter and I've never heard him talk about another school this way, not even AU. Has any HC in the SEC ever held a press conference before to deny accusations of cheating like Freeze did? Think about that...
Largely because I started reading this site, I see what you are talking about. Ole Miss certainly has landed some "suspicious" recruits over the last few years.

I think that some schools and coaches are just going to get better players. Players who realistically believe that they have a chance to play in the NFL want to play for a coach who will help get them there, and on a team that will help them get national exposure. And once that ball gets rolling it is hard to stop as it feeds itself. That is what you are seeing at Alabama right now, and what I hope that we will start to see at OSU. With every success story in the NFL, the need to hand out $$$ shrinks. Kids see larger piles of money down the road. While many kids are short sighted, those really aren't the ones that you want in your program anyway, so no loss.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Ole Miss was doing this back in the 80s. I worked with 2 former players from Ole Miss (84-88). They both told me the many stories of the "hand shakes". And yes, it goes on at 99.9% of the schools. I also lived next door in the early 90s to a former AU QB, who told me how the "family network" in west Georgia worked, as well. Wayne Hall and Pat Dye were masters of this.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Perhaps awbern got more than a coach when they hired Wingnut away from Ole Siss............:cool2:

I know that Pat Dye has perfected his "craft" since Wingnut first set foot in the pasture down there.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
You dont want to hear this but I was at Bama from 85-90, and had several friends on sports teams to include football and basketball, and there was some handshakes going on there as well.....But it happens, and it happens everywhere I would imagine.

My room mate was a Bama tennis player, but he never got a milk shake much less a $100 hand shake...LOL!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
You dont want to hear this but I was at Bama from 85-90, and had several friends on sports teams to include football and basketball, and there was some handshakes going on there as well.....But it happens, and it happens everywhere I would imagine.

My room mate was a Bama tennis player, but he never got a milk shake much less a $100 hand shake...LOL!
I know this may be anathema, but if everybody`s honest with themselves, who actually thinks everything ended with Logan Young and Albert Means? There will be a fringe element associated with every university that invests an unhealthy portion of their sense of their own worth and self-esteem in what happens during a three month period with 18-20 year olds playing a game on Saturdays. In that regard, IMHO, the majority of schools in the SEC have in the past, currently, and will in the future take a back seat to no one. To believe otherwise, again IMHO, would be to give the term "Naïve" new meaning.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.