Paper; Global Warming "The Biggest Science Scandal Ever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
No scientific theories have ever been superseded or otherwise debunked?
Actually, I'd guess that 99% of all theories since the beginning of "science" have eventually been superseded or debunked......

Nothing is more helpful and hurtful to science than time....

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
My apologies then for my mistaken inferences from your post above. #280.
The main point was that Carl Sagan>Tyson as Tyson is a grating jerk and Sagan was a dreaming wonder who sparked the imaginations of millions.

Actually, I'd guess that 99% of all theories since the beginning of "science" have eventually been superseded or debunked......

Nothing is more helpful and hurtful to science than time....
That is the scientific process for you. Often early data is misinterpreted.

Not ones as sound as this. Not even sure it can still be labeled as a theory anymore. CO2 IS a greenhouse gas.
No sane person has made the argument it is not, but that is not the question.

And one point of science is this: Even the sacred cows of science sometimes get slain. If CO2 were the only gas in the atmosphere and if we understood perfectly all the interactions and domino effects and all the positive and negative feedback mechanisms completely and without error then we'd need no further research or question. The truth is: We aren't that advanced yet in atmospheric sciences. We also have certain biases - and not just those people hold in thought. The Earth has warmed and CO2 has risen. That's all that can be said with 100% certainty as far as the 2 are related to each other. The doomsday scenarios do not rely solely on CO2 to get there. Those scenarios rely on positive feedback mechanisms based on a number of assumptions about processes that remain poorly understood insofar as the total output of the system is concerned. Tweak the feedbacks a little differently and there is very little effect overall and very little to worry about. The past climate forecast models were atrocious. Hopefully this has improved. We will have our proof in time. Time has shown past chicken littles to be...chicken littles.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The main point was that Carl Sagan>Tyson as Tyson is a grating jerk and Sagan was a dreaming wonder who sparked the imaginations of millions.

That is the scientific process for you. Often early data is misinterpreted.

No sane person has made the argument it is not, but that is not the question.

And one point of science is this: Even the sacred cows of science sometimes get slain. If CO2 were the only gas in the atmosphere and if we understood perfectly all the interactions and domino effects and all the positive and negative feedback mechanisms completely and without error then we'd need no further research or question. The truth is: We aren't that advanced yet in atmospheric sciences. We also have certain biases - and not just those people hold in thought. The Earth has warmed and CO2 has risen. That's all that can be said with 100% certainty as far as the 2 are related to each other. The doomsday scenarios do not rely solely on CO2 to get there. Those scenarios rely on positive feedback mechanisms based on a number of assumptions about processes that remain poorly understood insofar as the total output of the system is concerned. Tweak the feedbacks a little differently and there is very little effect overall and very little to worry about. The past climate forecast models were atrocious. Hopefully this has improved. We will have our proof in time. Time has shown past chicken littles to be...chicken littles.
So why then was there just a discussion on thermometer accuracy in a global warming thread? :conf2:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
So why then was there just a discussion on thermometer accuracy in a global warming thread? :conf2:
Completely separate issue, is it not? Except as it pertains to measured temperatures over time. Since we are talking about a small overall warming over decades to hundreds of years then the accuracy of past and present measurements and current proxies meant to measure past temps is pertinent to the question. It has to do with the margin of error and whether past or present measurements fall within the margin of error in regards to the accuracy of those measurements.

Regarding the bolded: Correlation does not equal causation.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Completely separate issue, is it not? Except as it pertains to measured temperatures over time. Since we are talking about a small overall warming over decades to hundreds of years then the accuracy of past and present measurements and current proxies meant to measure past temps is pertinent to the question. It has to do with the margin of error and whether past or present measurements fall within the margin of error in regards to the accuracy of those measurements.

Regarding the bolded: Correlation does not equal causation.
Yup

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
You are right, the margin of error in measurements has no bearing at all on the significance of the measured temperature rise, even if the measured rise falls within the margin of error. In fact, I'm not sure why it's ever mentioned in the literature and IPCC papers. All it does is provide fodder for deniers and business special interests, but I am repeating myself there since only crazies and paid-off corporate shills would ever question the validity of the conclusions of a fellow scientist if they are just obviously right about something. Why, questioning this doctrine is heresy! Heresy!, I say.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The margin of error in measurement has a huge impact on whether it is legit or not. Because the margin of error is reduced by advances in technology. If the margin is reduced then the temp fluctuation can be directly tied to better measurement techniques and tools.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/opinion/sunday/the-next-genocide.html?ref=opinion&_r=2

Hitler spread ecological panic by claiming that only land would bring Germany security and by denying the science that promised alternatives to war. By polluting the atmosphere with greenhouse gases, the United States has done more than any other nation to bring about the next ecological panic, yet it is the only country where climate science is still resisted by certain political and business elites. These deniers tend to present the empirical findings of scientists as a conspiracy and question the validity of science — an intellectual stance that is uncomfortably close to Hitler’s.

Advertisement

Continue reading the main story
Advertisement

Continue reading the main story

The full consequences of climate change may reach America only decades after warming wreaks havoc in other regions. And by then it will be too late for climate science and energy technology to make any difference. Indeed, by the time the door is open to the demagogy of ecological panic in the United States, Americans will have spent years spreading climate disaster around the world.
O-kaaaaay....

Where to start with this one? With the fact that rather than being a science denier that Hitler actually took the heart what the science panickers were saying during his time regarding resources? Including the end of oil and mass starvation due to population outstripping known resources and farming technologies? If anything, Hitler was on the frontlines of the science panic, which proved to be nothing more than a panic. Admittedly, that has no bearing on whether climate change will prove to be a disaster or not, but even though there were some areas where Hitler and crew invented "science" to rationalize their world views, this is one area where he took real scientists' panicked words to heart and in no way was denying what the scientists of the day were saying. He used their words as fuel on the war fires. I therefore deem this author an idiot.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Interesting...

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/424875/climate-extremist-taxpayer-funded-ian-tuttle

On September 1, Dr. Shukla and 19 other climate scientists sent a letter to President Obama, Attorney General Loretta Lynch, and White House Office of Science and Technology policy director John Holdren calling for “a RICO investigation of corporations and other organizations that have knowingly deceived the American people about the risks of climate change,” a (criminally irresponsible) tactic initially proposed by Rhode Island senator Sheldon Whitehouse in a Washington Post op-ed in May. The letter could be found on the website of the Institute of Global Environment and Society (IGES) — the “non-profit, tax-exempt research institute” founded and headed by Dr. Shukla.
In late September, the “RICO20” letter vanished from the IGES website; in its place is a message explaining that “the letter was inadvertently posted on this web site [and] has been removed.” (It is still visible here.)
The curious disappearance set several people inquiring. It turns out that heading up IGES is nice work if you can get it. The Washington Free Beacon reports that since 2001 the organization has received more than $63 million — 98 percent of its total revenue — from taxpayers, mainly in the form of grants from the National Science Foundation, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. And an astonishing amount of that money has ended up in Dr. Shukla’s pocket.
That’s largely because the IGES has a tight-knit staff — very tight. The “business manager” is Jagadish Shukla’s wife, Anastasia, and the “assistant business manager”/”assistant to the president” is their daughter, Sonia. According to the Shuklas’ tax filings, they have pocketed $5.6 million in compensation from IGES since 2001 (not including Sonia’s earnings, which have gone unreported). That is on top of Jagadish’s salary from George Mason — a public university, by the way — which paid him $314,000 in 2014.
This “double-dipping” — receiving compensation from a research organization on top of academic compensation — is prohibited by the federal agencies from which IGES receives money, as well as by George Mason University, as detailed by Climate Audit’s Steve McIntyre. Yet IGES officially joined the university, as part of the College of Science, in 2013.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
http://globalwarmingsolved.com/data_files/SCC2015_preprint.pdf

I skimmed through a number of sections, but the conclusion is most interesting. I know nothing of the authors or of the site that has republished the study.

When we compared our new composite to one of the high solarvariability reconstructions of Total Solar Irradiance which was notconsidered by the CMIP5 hindcasts (i.e., the Hoyt & Schattenreconstruction), we found a remarkably close fit. If the Hoyt &Schatten reconstruction and our new Northern Hemispheretemperature trend estimates are accurate, then it seems that most ofthe temperature trends since at least 1881 can be explained in termsof solar variability, with atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrationsproviding at most a minor contribution. This contradicts the claim bythe latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reportsthat most of the temperature trends since the 1950s are due tochanges in atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations (Bindoff etal., 2013).
The "debate" will eventually be over. It will be settled by science, not politics. I'm quire sure there are "problems" with the study (as there are in ALL studies of this nature). Their method does seem to produce more accurate modelling of past data, though again that can be influenced by a number of factors.

I also found their criticism of some other studies' authors' statements to be interesting (toward the beginning).

But then again, we can probably stop researching now as the whole thing is pointless since we have all the answers.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Thanks. Looks interesting.

Be aware that Willie Soon's name should raise some red flags since it was revealed that he withheld identification of his funding sources from several journals. That is an absolute pertaining to the professional ethics when working in research. Researches are required to disclose funding sources and are required to disclose potential conflicts of interest when presenting their work for publication.

It is this issue which, ultimately, discredits every bit of his research. Not the results of the research, so maybe his paper has some merit, but his decision to try to keep secret the sources of funding for it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Be aware that Willie Soon's name should raise some red flags since it was revealed that he withheld identification of his funding sources from several journals. That is an absolute pertaining to the professional ethics when working in research. Researches are required to disclose funding sources and are required to disclose potential conflicts of interest when presenting their work for publication.

It is this issue which, ultimately, discredits every bit of his research. Not the results of the research, so maybe his paper has some merit, but his decision to try to keep secret the sources of funding for it.
Interesting information, but I'm more interested in the accuracy of the research than I am Mr. Soon. I do have an inkling of how research ethics work, believe it or not. There is a difference between an oversight and a deliberate hiding of conflicts - not that either is good - and I don't know the details of what you are talking about (and don't care much to hear it. I posted something I found interesting. You and I aren't going to solve this here and debating audub was not the point of posting it as much as getting the information into the conversation on the issue). I will say this is an area that needs more research, not less; and it's a shame that some try to politicize the research itself (wanting to avoid certain research, findings, or conclusions for a political reason) as has openly occurred. That also discredits a researcher. So we have people on both sides who may have discredited themselves. What of the research then? Is it all discredited because of some undisclosed funding or politicizing the research? Do you look at those things on your side with the same intensity and effort as you do those who come to a conclusion different than your own? I don't know any of these people. I want them all to be ethical. Obviously, not all are. At the end of the day what matters more is the accuracy and meaning of the research. So is the research total bunk? Or is it accurate? Or do we just stop at finding fault in whomever we disagree with while ignoring lapses of similar magnitudes of potential bias in those we do agree with? Ethics should be across the board, not just for your opposition. But every single time there is any paper mentioned with a dissenter's view, you attack the credibility of the researcher. I'm sure it's probably fair to do so if there is an issue. What's not fair is not applying the same test of bias for those whose research you like. Because ultimately that's what ethics tries to do: keep personal bias out. Funding definitely raises the question of bias, more so if not disclosed. But so does a political agenda. This field seems to be replete with egos and biases and agendas. I wish I could say that is unusual for the field, but it's most likely not. It sure seems that way sometimes though.

ETA: Let me go a step further: If you are not applying the same test of bias to those on "your side", then you aren't serious about ethics - you are serious about being a fanboi of someone or something. A person or an agenda. The truth is not the goal - being right is - even if you are wrong. If I saw any consistency then there would be no issue. The inconsistency makes it obvious.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

The other side of the argument tends to suffer similar conflicts of interest.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Interesting information, but I'm more interested in the accuracy of the research than I am Mr. Soon. I do have an inkling of how research ethics work, believe it or not. There is a difference between an oversight and a deliberate hiding of conflicts - not that either is good - and I don't know the details of what you are talking about (and don't care much to hear it. I posted something I found interesting. You and I aren't going to solve this here and debating audub was not the point of posting it as much as getting the information into the conversation on the issue). I will say this is an area that needs more research, not less; and it's a shame that some try to politicize the research itself (wanting to avoid certain research, findings, or conclusions for a political reason) as has openly occurred. That also discredits a researcher. So we have people on both sides who may have discredited themselves. What of the research then? Is it all discredited because of some undisclosed funding or politicizing the research? Do you look at those things on your side with the same intensity and effort as you do those who come to a conclusion different than your own? I don't know any of these people. I want them all to be ethical. Obviously, not all are. At the end of the day what matters more is the accuracy and meaning of the research. So is the research total bunk? Or is it accurate? Or do we just stop at finding fault in whomever we disagree with while ignoring lapses of similar magnitudes of potential bias in those we do agree with? Ethics should be across the board, not just for your opposition. But every single time there is any paper mentioned with a dissenter's view, you attack the credibility of the researcher. I'm sure it's probably fair to do so if there is an issue. What's not fair is not applying the same test of bias for those whose research you like. Because ultimately that's what ethics tries to do: keep personal bias out. Funding definitely raises the question of bias, more so if not disclosed. But so does a political agenda. This field seems to be replete with egos and biases and agendas. I wish I could say that is unusual for the field, but it's most likely not. It sure seems that way sometimes though.

ETA: Let me go a step further: If you are not applying the same test of bias to those on "your side", then you aren't serious about ethics - you are serious about being a fanboi of someone or something. A person or an agenda. The truth is not the goal - being right is - even if you are wrong. If I saw any consistency then there would be no issue. The inconsistency makes it obvious.
Maybe so, but it's not who funded the studies, it's his decision not to disclose it.
I agree completely. The source of the funding never should completely invalidate findings whether a giant oil company with interests in keeping a business, or giant government programs with interests in keeping the program and research going. However, I have no problem with someone applying a level of skepticism to the findings of one or the other. When they try to hide the source it increases that skepticism by an order of magnitude.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Interesting information, but I'm more interested in the accuracy of the research than I am Mr. Soon.
I didn't say it was a reflection on the accuracy of Dr. Soon's work. That's to rightly be evaluated by other researchers in the relevant fields.

I do have an inkling of how research ethics work, believe it or not. There is a difference between an oversight and a deliberate hiding of conflicts - not that either is good - and I don't know the details of what you are talking about (and don't care much to hear it. I posted something I found interesting. You and I aren't going to solve this here and debating audub was not the point of posting it as much as getting the information into the conversation on the issue).
If you did, you'd realize why what Dr. Soon did is such a big no no, and it was far too pervasive to be an oversight. There are memos revealing his correspondence with these companies throughout and revealed him referring to his work as "deliverables." If that doesn't scream "conflict of interest!" I don't know what does. But, again, it's not the conflict or the sources of his funding that discredits his research, it's his decision to hide them.

I will say this is an area that needs more research, not less; and it's a shame that some try to politicize the research itself (wanting to avoid certain research, findings, or conclusions for a political reason) as has openly occurred. That also discredits a researcher. So we have people on both sides who may have discredited themselves. What of the research then? Is it all discredited because of some undisclosed funding or politicizing the research?
In this case. That doesn't say anything about his actual conclusions, per se. Again, the merits of his conclusions will be debated by the experts in the relevant fields.

This is a major ethical violation that he commited. Keep that in mind.

Do you look at those things on your side with the same intensity and effort as you do those who come to a conclusion different than your own? I don't know any of these people. I want them all to be ethical. Obviously, not all are. At the end of the day what matters more is the accuracy and meaning of the research. So is the research total bunk? Or is it accurate? Or do we just stop at finding fault in whomever we disagree with while ignoring lapses of similar magnitudes of potential bias in those we do agree with? Ethics should be across the board, not just for your opposition. But every single time there is any paper mentioned with a dissenter's view, you attack the credibility of the researcher.
I would react the same way if, say, Michael Mann were to have a paper commissioned by Greenpeace or Solyndra but didn't feel the need to disclose that little fact.

I'm sure it's probably fair to do so if there is an issue. What's not fair is not applying the same test of bias for those whose research you like. Because ultimately that's what ethics tries to do: keep personal bias out. Funding definitely raises the question of bias, more so if not disclosed. But so does a political agenda. This field seems to be replete with egos and biases and agendas. I wish I could say that is unusual for the field, but it's most likely not. It sure seems that way sometimes though.
That's the reason these ethical standards are in place. Bias is inevitable. The best you can do is be as open and honest about your potential biases as possible, something Dr. Soon failed at woefully.

If you're going to level that accusation, let's see some evidence to back it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.