Paper; Global Warming "The Biggest Science Scandal Ever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Since the inception of the first ever thread on this topic, we (because I count myself among them) have asked "If we started GW, can we fix it, and how?" To date, there hasn't been any reasonable answer.

What does everyone think about this?:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/19/opinions/sutter-carbon-tax-washington-british-columbia/index.html
Also, British Columbia already largely gets it electricity from hydroelectric dams (nearly 90% of the electricity supply):

http://www.energybc.ca/map/bcenergymap.html

So, it's my guess that the carbon tax isn't as impactful in BC as it would be, for example, in the Southern United States.

Ironically, BC relies on carbon sources of electricity as backup to its aging hydroelectric infrastructure.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Are you sure it wasn't XX Dos Equis. My favorite brew, btw.
{hijack}
I've never been big on the Mexican beer scene, seeing as they're generally pretty hard to come across here in central Alabama. Dos Equis just strikes me as a forgettable American style lager with good marketing.

One Mexican beer I have had that I will snap up in a heartbeat should I ever come across it again is Tempus Doble Malta. Stumbled across it on an exchange two years ago. Man that one hit the spot.
{/hijack}

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
{hijack}
I've never been big on the Mexican beer scene, seeing as they're generally pretty hard to come across here in central Alabama. Dos Equis just strikes me as a forgettable American style lager with good marketing.

One Mexican beer I have had that I will snap up in a heartbeat should I ever come across it again is Tempus Doble Malta. Stumbled across it on an exchange two years ago. Man that one hit the spot.
{/hijack}
I've been drinking Dos Equis Amber before Jonathan Goldsmith became the Dos Equis man. Granted, I do love the advertisements, but the Amber beer is a darker, heavier beer which I prefer. It has a very good flavor and ironically, doesn't seem to affect my gout.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I've been drinking Dos Equis Amber before Jonathan Goldsmith became the Dos Equis man. Granted, I do love the advertisements, but the Amber beer is a darker, heavier beer which I prefer. It has a very good flavor and ironically, doesn't seem to affect my gout.
Oddly enough, never actually tried that particular one. The bros at BA rate it well so I may have to give it a try.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fighting-back-against-global-warming-scalp-hunters/article/2594654

Already, the attorney general of the Virgin Islands was forced to withdraw his broad subpoena of documents related to Exxon from the libertarian Competitive Enterprise Institute. The Washington-based group made him back down by suing him for violating the D.C. law against so-called "strategic lawsuits" — that is, the use of civil courts to intimidate defendants from engaging in protected First Amendment activities. Unfortunately, this inquisition is quite large in scale, and has in fact targeted 90 different conservative groups.
In a letter to the Democratic AGs conducting this witch hunt, these conservative AGs noted that by the same standard, they could theoretically bring similar cases against businesses that deceive shareholders by exaggerating the threat or the potential effects of global warming.

"If it is possible to minimize the risks of climate change, then the same goes for exaggeration," they wrote. "If minimization is fraud, then exaggeration is fraud... If climate change perceived to be slowing or becoming less of a risk, many 'clean energy' companies may become less valuable and some may be altogether worthless… Does anyone doubt that 'clean energy' companies have funded non-profits who exaggerated the risks of climate change?"

The letter also noted that the climate scalp-hunting AGs had conducted their press conference along with Al Gore, who is vice president of "a venture capital firm that invests in renewable energy companies."

The bottom line, the conservative attorneys general argued, is that using "law enforcement authority to resolve a public policy debate undermines the trust invested in our offices and threatens free speech."

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here's another column on the state of the "case" against Exxon:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-exxon-case-unraveled-1472598472

There simply never was any self-evident contradiction between Exxon’s private and public statements. In emphasizing the uncertainty inherent in climate models, Exxon was telling a truth whose only remarkable feature is that it continues to elude so many climate reporters.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
2016 Climate Trends Continue to Break Records

Two key climate change indicators -- global surface temperatures and Arctic sea ice extent -- have broken numerous records through the first half of 2016, according to NASA analyses of ground-based observations and satellite data.

Each of the first six months of 2016 set a record as the warmest respective month globally in the modern temperature record, which dates to 1880, according to scientists at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York. The six-month period from January to June was also the planet's warmest half-year on record, with an average temperature 1.3 degrees Celsius (2.4 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than the late nineteenth century.
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/climate-trends-continue-to-break-records
:eek:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Statistician: UN climate treaty will cost $100 trillion and have no impact.

http://canadafreepress.com/article/...eaty-will-cost-100-trillion-to-have-no-impact

Danish statistician Dr. Bjorn Lomborg, the President of the Copenhagen Consensus Center: ‘We will spend at least one hundred trillion dollars in order to reduce the temperature by the end of the century by a grand total of three tenths of one degree…the equivalent of postponing warming by less than four years…Again, that is using the UN’s own climate prediction model.’

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
lomborg has been a professional global warming "skeptic" for going on 20 years now. most folks take anything he publishes about the climate with a huge grain of salt.
But we'll believe anything Al Gore says as he zips around the world burning fossil fuel and punching holes in the ozone in a private jet promoting carbon credits.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
well, (most of) the things al gore says are actually backed up by science. lomborg's work has been shown to be non-sense for quite a while
Well in that case if they ever find a way for talking to fix it instead of actual actions we should call him.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Funny nobody talks about the cost of doing nothing. :rolleyes: Sometimes we are faced with the high cost of doing something and the higher cost of doing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.