Paper; Global Warming "The Biggest Science Scandal Ever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
It's not just artic ice that's retreating. I've see first hand the Columbia glacier in Canada. Also in Patagonia the glaciers are retreating as they are in Glacier National Park.

I can't imagine why there would or could be a global conspiracy. It would be to complicated to co-ordinate.
Consider this: Earth has existed for hundreds of billions of years and it's land and sea masses are ever changing. Man has been industrialized for less than 200 years. Yet man is being blamed for the changing of the Earth.
Earth's glaciers have increased and decreased for longer than man has been around. The question is not whether it' happening. The question is whether man is to blame. Considering the evidence, I say no, because those changes are going to take place regardless of mankind's presence. Mankind doesn't have the power (nor have we ever) to effect the climates of this planet. If we did, we wouldn't be worrying about California not having enough water or other areas having too much. We'd have already changed the rain patterns to accommodate those respective ares. Nor would we be worrying about too much snow in the winter, heat in the summer, approaching hurricanes or tornadoes during the other seasons. We'd be controlling them to our own needs or possibly even military advantage.
To the crux: I don't care to continue to hear the hoaxers blame man for those things which we obviously have absolute zero control. It's your privilege to disagree. But if you want to show that I'm wrong, then show me that man can control the climates. Show me how we can make Alaska warm in the winter and Florida cool in the summer. If you can do that I'll be impressed.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Genesis 8:21-22
21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done. 22While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Consider this: Earth has existed for hundreds of billions of years and it's land and sea masses are ever changing. Man has been industrialized for less than 200 years. Yet man is being blamed for the changing of the Earth.
Earth's glaciers have increased and decreased for longer than man has been around. The question is not whether it' happening. The question is whether man is to blame. Considering the evidence, I say no, because those changes are going to take place regardless of mankind's presence. Mankind doesn't have the power (nor have we ever) to effect the climates of this planet. If we did, we wouldn't be worrying about California not having enough water or other areas having too much. We'd have already changed the rain patterns to accommodate those respective ares. Nor would we be worrying about too much snow in the winter, heat in the summer, approaching hurricanes or tornadoes during the other seasons. We'd be controlling them to our own needs or possibly even military advantage.
To the crux: I don't care to continue to hear the hoaxers blame man for those things which we obviously have absolute zero control. It's your privilege to disagree. But if you want to show that I'm wrong, then show me that man can control the climates. Show me how we can make Alaska warm in the winter and Florida cool in the summer. If you can do that I'll be impressed.
It's hard for me to comprehend how much oil we've burned or how much is left. I drove back and forth on I-40 and I-65 this week and their seemed to be a million cars on the road. You can see smog in LA or even Nashville on a regular basis. When I was in Beijing, smog was horrible. Because we can't make the problem go away doesn't mean we can't create a problem.

My understanding is that carbon dioxide emission is the main cause of the greenhouse effect. The major contributors of carbon dioxide emission in the US are burning fossil fuels for electricity, transportation, and industry. The scientists are right, wrong, or making this up for grant money. I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt. I suspect the U of A biology department does also.

Truth be told, I'm not smart enough to prove or disprove global warming. My stance is purely anecdotal and trying to make something out of what I've read about the subject. The ice cores seem compelling evidence but that could be a fabrication for all I know. Again, I don't see how it would be possible to co-ordinate a global conspiracy.

I'm a guy that buys into the Bible lock, stock, and barrel. I believe that miracles occurred even though I've never seen anyone walk on water or raise the dead. Just because man hasn't been able influence (not control) the weather in the past doesn't mean it will never occur.

I very much appreciate and respect your argument.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Pretty much the dumbest thing I've read on here about global warming. Your argument is we can't affect the climate and proof is because we can't control the weather? There is nothing natural about releasing the amount CO2 in a few hundred years it took the planet millions to store up.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Pretty much the dumbest thing I've read on here about global warming. Your argument is we can't affect the climate and proof is because we can't control the weather? There is nothing natural about releasing the amount CO2 in a few hundred years it took the planet millions to store up.
Are you saying that CO2 levels have never been higher and that you have scientific proof?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
And the dumbest thing I've ever read is that mankind is responsible for global warming.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
CO2 levels have been higher, but that was a long, long time ago.
CO2 levels are inconsequential. Animal life inhales oxygen and exhales CO2. Plant life uses that same CO2 for it's own collective purpose and in turn emits oxygen back into the atmosphere. Both are dependent upon the other for their own existence. If there is a lot of CO2 in the atmosphere, so much the better for plant life, and thus the better for us as well.
Mankind being responsible for global warming or cooling, climate change or whatever you want to call it it a hoax, and one of monumental proportion.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Scientist estimate the age of the universe at a little under 14 billions years. Not important to your point, but just an fyi.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Since temperature seems to fluctuate over the centuries....how do we know what normal is supposed to be for a planet this old, this distance from the sun, etc? We don't know what "normal" is supposed to be, we are just assuming that 30 years ago was normal, and so any fluctuation of that is abnormal.

Second - we can fit every human being on the planet, shoulder to shoulder on the island of Maui......that is the equivalent of owning an 8 acre ranch and having ONE ant pile on it. Would you replace all of the grass on your 8 acre ranch and spending millions of dollars to try to get rid of one ant pile? Do you believe that the one ant pile can destroy your entire 8 acre ranch if it's not debated, analyzed and used to deter everything from having children, using plastic, putting gas in your tractor, watering your plants, and eating cows?

Third - We are spinning, rotating around a huge ball of fire that is also spinning and rotating within a galaxy that is spinning and rotating within our universe.....is it at all possible that a 1000 mile jog either way in any direction could effect the temperature on our planet by 1 tenth of 1 degree?

No one has yet shown me any proof that: 1 - that it is caused by man. 2 - that even if it is, that we can stop/control it. 3 - if we could control it/stop it - how long would it take and how much would it cost. 4 - why anyone on this planet would care about what happens on this planet 200 years from now (people are inherently selfish -- and seldom (if ever) do anything for the future -- see our savings rate as a country).....

It's all a relatively complex scheme to control our capitalistic society, control world population, and curb the development of the undeveloped world

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
CO2 levels are inconsequential. Animal life inhales oxygen and exhales CO2. Plant life uses that same CO2 for it's own collective purpose and in turn emits oxygen back into the atmosphere. Both are dependent upon the other for their own existence. If there is a lot of CO2 in the atmosphere, so much the better for plant life, and thus the better for us as well.
Horse hockey. The CO2 that was already here was accounted for in the carbon cycle. It's like saying, because whole blood is vital to your survival, you shouldn't mind having a few extra gallons pumped in with a rapid infuser.

Excess CO2 causes a whole host of ecological issues. For instance, did you know the pH of the ocean is dropping? Excess CO2 is absorbed by the ocean, forming carbonic acid. Current ocean life evolved with a relatively stable pH over the last 50 million years. Do you have any idea what kind of chaos more acidic oceans could create?

Mankind being responsible for global warming or cooling, climate change or whatever you want to call it it a hoax, and one of monumental proportion.
Ridiculous.

If that's your position, this argument is pointless.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Excess CO2 causes a whole host of ecological issues. For instance, did you know the pH of the ocean is dropping? Excess CO2 is absorbed by the ocean, forming carbonic acid. Current ocean life evolved with a relatively stable pH over the last 50 million years. Do you have any idea what kind of chaos more acidic oceans could create?
1. How far back do the actual measured pH records go? (has the technology used to measure changed during the last 50 million years?)
2. Apparently, with recent discoveries - we have more ocean life than ever....
3. The current pH level is apparently equal to the pH level of the oceans from 23 million years ago (from what I saw)....and has fluctuated up and down over time...
4. You use words like "could" create.....why so much uncertainty? Can't you give us some idea of what it "will" create?

As usual.....you want us to make millions of changes to our planet in the hopes that we "might" alter things just enough so it won't possibly have possible chaos that "could" be created by not doing anything. OR, we could look for signs of change beyond hypothetical before we attack it.

There is way more proof that Cam Newton took money than there is of global warming - yet, you believe in Global Warming.....what's your take on Cam?

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Scientist estimate the age of the universe at a little under 14 billions years. Not important to your point, but just an fyi.
I don't know about the Universe but the Earth is only 6000 years old!:)

Climate from 1,000,000 ago can be determined,

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/07/070705-antarctica-ice.html

Official records go back to the 1600s.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/sep/03/weather.features11

Statisticians work out whether the entries are reliable, which is why the record going back to 1914 - when observation stations became more uniform in the way they collected data - is almost always the one used.

You make some good points Cajun.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
As technology advances....the ability to measure things more accurately advances as well.

We used to measure temperature with a mercury thermometer under the arm to take our body temperature....

Now, they suggest a rectal thermometer, as the "under the arm" method has proven to be the least accurate.....

Perhaps we are now just getting the Global Warming - Rectal Thermometer.....and it's not that the temperature has gone up, but maybe we are just more accurate....

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
1. How far back do the actual measured pH records go? (has the technology used to measure changed during the last 50 million years?)

We can actually go back quite far using proxies. The same methods for proxy measurement of atmospheric CO2 for most cases.

2. Apparently, with recent discoveries - we have more ocean life than ever..

Recent studies also confirm we're wiping it out very rapidly.

3. The current pH level is apparently equal to the pH level of the oceans from 23 million years ago (from what I saw)....and has fluctuated up and down over time...

The last major rapid acidification event was roughly 55 million years ago, correlating directly with a mass extinction event.

4. You use words like "could" create.....why so much uncertainty? Can't you give us some idea of what it "will" create.

Stock statement of uncertainty. The effects of acidification on most lifeforms are actually well understood. Coral growth is inhibited, creatures that rely on calcified shells see their shells weakened and do not thrive, etc.

Some lifeforms might thrive in more acidic oceans. Certain jellyfish, for instance.

As usual.....you want us to make millions of changes to our planet in the hopes that we "might" alter things just enough so it won't possibly have possible chaos that "could" be created by not doing anything. OR, we could look for signs of change beyond hypothetical before we attack it.

There is way more proof that Cam Newton took money than there is of global warming - yet, you believe in Global Warming.....what's your take on Cam?

Best 200k we ever spent. B)
ditto.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Do progressives not believe humans are capable of adapting to a changing environment? It's quite amusing to see progressives so opposed to change.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Are you saying that CO2 levels have never been higher and that you have scientific proof?
Can you not look at the statement "it took the planet millions to store up" and see that that implies it was higher previously?

Here is how I look at global warming. #1 Either all the scientist are right and this is all avoidable. And I say ALL because all the deniers cling to a small minority of scientist when they site this or that. #2 If the deniers are right we are screwed anyway because the temp is still going to rise and when sea levels rise in the next 200-300 yrs and a large percentage of the planet is going to have to relocate. Plus we aren't going to be able to feed ourselves due to worsening draughts.

So I really hope #1 is the case and we can fix this. The human race has alway been incredibly short sighted when it comes to future planning. Between global warming, over fishing of the oceans, reliance on GMO seeds for the world crops, the increase worldwide of animal protein in diets, we are really setting us up for a global disaster where we can't even feed ourselves.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Can you not look at the statement "it took the planet millions to store up" and see that that implies it was higher previously?

Here is how I look at global warming. #1 Either all the scientist are right and this is all avoidable. And I say ALL because all the deniers cling to a small minority of scientist when they site this or that. #2 If the deniers are right we are screwed anyway because the temp is still going to rise and when sea levels rise in the next 200-300 yrs and a large percentage of the planet is going to have to relocate. Plus we aren't going to be able to feed ourselves due to worsening draughts.

So I really hope #1 is the case and we can fix this. The human race has alway been incredibly short sighted when it comes to future planning. Between global warming, over fishing of the oceans, reliance on GMO seeds for the world crops, the increase worldwide of animal protein in diets, we are really setting us up for a global disaster where we can't even feed ourselves.
I am not a denier of climate change by the way.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I am not a denier of climate change by the way.
You are a denier of the current scientific theory that climate change is man made. That is what I meant by point #2. IF you are right then the planet is getting warmer, we are screwed in 200-300 yrs, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.