Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the biggest science scandal ever continues apace

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51111176

Climate change: Last decade confirmed as warmest on record
The 10 years to the end of 2019 have been confirmed as the warmest decade on record by three global agencies.

According to Nasa, Noaa and the UK Met Office, last year was the second warmest in a record dating back to 1850.

The past five years were the hottest in the 170-year series, with each one more than 1C warmer than pre-industrial.

The Met Office says that 2020 is likely to continue this warming trend.

2016 remains the warmest year on record, when temperatures were boosted by the El Niño weather phenomenon.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There was a time in which I wondered if "man caused" climate change was fabricated, but that is because it first was brought to our attention by politicians, not scientists. It made me wonder if the "facts" were being made to fit political agendas.

Now, only people being willfully ignorant can make such a claim. The evidence is clear. But because one party has latched onto it, the other will deny it forever.

The party system is bad for America.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
There was a time in which I wondered if "man caused" climate change was fabricated, but that is because it first was brought to our attention by politicians, not scientists. It made me wonder if the "facts" were being made to fit political agendas.

Now, only people being willfully ignorant can make such a claim. The evidence is clear. But because one party has latched onto it, the other will deny it forever.

The party system is bad for America.
We had a professor at the University in Tuscaloosa, Ed Passerini, who was teaching about the dangers of climate change in the mid seventies when I was in school. He made a believer out of me. He worked with me to design a set of classes that would get me the first minor awarded on environmental studies.

They went on to develop a choice of classes that allowed a student to not only minor in environmental studies but to major in it if that was his choice.

Reactions: Go Bama and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We had a professor at the University in Tuscaloosa, Ed Passerini, who was teaching about the dangers of climate change in the mid seventies when I was in school. He made a believer out of me. He worked with me to design a set of classes that would get me the first minor awarded on environmental studies.

They went on to develop a choice of classes that allowed a student to not only minor in environmental studies but to major in it if that was his choice.
To be clear, I never doubted that climate change was real - just the cause.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From the WSJ 1/16/2020
2019, Second-Warmest Year, Caps Decade of Rising Temperatures
Ten of the warmest years in their records occurred in the past decade, NOAA and NASA say

20th temps.png

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Here is a well-written piece by investigative journalist, Nafeez Ahmed. (He also has a nice series on the history of Google).
“A projected increase in extreme climate events and an increasingly interdependent food supply system pose a threat to global food security,” warned the UN Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction released in May. “For instance, local shocks can have far-reaching effects on global agricultural markets.”

Climate models we've been using are not too alarmist; they are consistently too conservative, and we have only recently understood how bad the situation really is.

Current agricultural modelling, the UN report said, does not sufficiently account for these complex interconnections. The report warns that “climate shocks and consequent crop failure in one of the global cereal breadbaskets might have knock-on effects on the global agricultural market. The turbulences are exacerbated if more than one of the main crop-producing regions suffers from losses simultaneously.”

I always had the impression that the Arab Spring in Egypt 2011 and the actions in Syria were due to Western interventions purely for control of the Middle East. But perhaps it is due to public unrest and resource shortages creating mass migrations.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Here is a well-written piece by investigative journalist, Nafeez Ahmed. (He also has a nice series on the history of GoI always had the impression that the Arab Spring in Egypt 2011 and the actions in Syria were due to Western interventions purely for control of the Middle East. But perhaps it is due to public unrest and resource shortages creating mass migrations.
Our military considers climate change a threat to national security partially because of mass migrations of folks escaping the worst effects. I think the Arab Spring was provoked by a combination of the two things you mention.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Our military considers climate change a threat to national security partially because of mass migrations of folks escaping the worst effects. I think the Arab Spring was provoked by a combination of the two things you mention.
Perhaps the military should volunteer to cut its budget by half so real money can be applied to the problem? Nah - build a wall.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Perhaps the military should volunteer to cut its budget by half so real money can be applied to the problem? Nah - build a wall.
I really do believe that the solutions to both energy and food, devoid of fossil fuel or carbon based solutions, were discovered over a hundred years ago and are not terribly expensive. In other words, the solutions won’t come from Westinghouse.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really do believe that the solutions to both energy and food, devoid of fossil fuel or carbon based solutions, were discovered over a hundred years ago and are not terribly expensive. In other words, the solutions won’t come from Westinghouse.
The risk now is that the bread baskets of the world might continue to incur huge crop losses due to climate change. We can't move those bread baskets to other parts of the world.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The risk now is that the bread baskets of the world might continue to incur huge crop losses due to climate change. We can't move those bread baskets to other parts of the world.
I've read speculation that the traditional bread baskets in the northern half of the globe will shift to the north as the earth heats up, while the areas we think of now as bread baskets will play out. Canada could possibly see new areas open up to farm.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've read speculation that the traditional bread baskets in the northern half of the globe will shift to the north as the earth heats up, while the areas we think of now as bread baskets will play out. Canada could possibly see new areas open up to farm.
They can't just "shift north". The reason that the bread baskets are the bread baskets is the millions of years of growth that has produced extraordinarily fertile topsoil. That does not exist in the tundra.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
They can't just "shift north". The reason that the bread baskets are the bread baskets is the millions of years of growth that has produced extraordinarily fertile topsoil. That does not exist in the tundra.
I stand corrected.

Thanks for the uplifting news. :)

• Haha

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I’m the local section Chair of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers this year. One of my colleague is Chair for AIChE’s Climate Solutions committee. So I have had the opportunity to learn more about climate change and some of the solutions being floated. I post later with a few observations.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Every 26 and 100 thousand years or so the warming periods and ice ages cycle. So there may be fertile soil under the tundras. It is also thought that the ice ages are the norm rather than the exception.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Every 26 and 100 thousand years or so the warming periods and ice ages cycle. So there may be fertile soil under the tundras. It is also thought that the ice ages are the norm rather than the exception.
Absolutely possible, but the peat moss is meters deep. We really have no idea what will happen to this part of the world, but there is no topsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.