Paper; Global Warming "The Biggest Science Scandal Ever" - Page 6
Page 6 of 86 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast

Re: Paper; Global Warming "The Biggest Science Scandal Ever"

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    That global warming is sure hurting the Northeast USA as we speak.
    Yeah, just think how cold it would really be if it wasn't for global warming.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Yeah, just think how cold it would really be if it wasn't for global warming.
    Touche'
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-American crimson fan man's Avatar

I miss the winters thru 2000 to 2010. They were mild winters but the last four have been getting colder every year. I hope that trend stops because I hate cold weather. Back to topic I will agree with others on this board that believes its the government just trying to get more power and taxing us to the poor house.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimson fan man View Post
    I miss the winters thru 2000 to 2010. They were mild winters but the last four have been getting colder every year. I hope that trend stops because I hate cold weather. Back to topic I will agree with others on this board that believes its the government just trying to get more power and taxing us to the poor house.
    If they'd just eliminate the Bureaucracy and lying Politicians in Washington, D. C., the global warming or whatever would end. The hot air coming from Politicians (head end and tail end) and the Bureaucracy just can't continue if we plan to survive.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimson fan man View Post
    Ya know? if we really have the ability to alter the temps -- if you are cold -- just have you and 1000 of your closest friends go outside and empty a few dozen cans each of Air Freshener......and VO5......that should raise the temperature at least .00001 degrees......nice and toasty.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Just gonna drop this here and mosey on....
    http://www.factcheck.org/2015/02/not...perature-data/
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation All-American Bama4Ever831's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    Relying on factcheck.org is like complaining of police brutality to the cop that just beat the crap out of you.
    And getting information from The Telegraph is better, how?

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Bama4Ever831 View Post
    And getting information from The Telegraph is better, how?
    Welcome back.

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

I'll take "In Every Way" for 1,000, Alex.
    Yankee Go Home!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Relying on factcheck.org is like complaining of police brutality to the cop that just beat the crap out of you.
    Then do your homework; dispute their "facts". I get this garbage from folks about Snopes and factcheck.org all the time (and yes, I actually know a few hard core conservatives who swear by factcheck.org).
    I would trust them much more than an engineer who, after being given millions by big oil, says climate change is a hoax. Believe what you want.
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Then do your homework; dispute their "facts". I get this garbage from folks about Snopes and factcheck.org all the time (and yes, I actually know a few hard core conservatives who swear by factcheck.org).
    I would trust them much more than an engineer who, after being given millions by big oil, says climate change is a hoax. Believe what you want.
    So you trust scientist who have been given millions by government to study climate change more than scientist being given millions by oil companies to disprove it?

This is the problem. When those doing the studies have a vested interest in the outcome you are going to have problems. You will at least have skeptics with a valid point. It is natural for people to believe those who have findings that negate reasons for further study verses those who find that they need millions more to continue study. Neither side of the skepticism line helps find the truth, but your cited reason for doubting the finding is the very reason there is doubt on the other end.

I believe the Annenberg Public Policy Center at Penn (those that run factcheck.org) has done some good work at times, and have sometimes reviewed what they say about a subject. That does not mean they are an omniscient completely unbiased arbitrar.

When millions turn into billions and trillions you get more serious skepticism.
    Last edited by mittman; February 26th, 2015 at 12:36 PM.

BamaNation All-American Bama4Ever831's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mittman View Post
    So you trust scientist who have been given millions by government to study climate change more than scientist being given millions by oil companies to disprove it?
    You have a great point. However, your word choice is particularly telling. A government entity paying a scientist to "study" climate change would allow for a positive or negative response. The oil and gas companies pay for a particular answer. In your words: to "disprove" it. Even if your suggestion is true that many scientists would fabricate data in order to keep getting funded, would ALL? We are talking about 97+% generating the same result no matter if it is privately funded or government funded. The government doesn't just drop funding if they don't get the result they want. An oil and gas company can and does.

Also, journalists have an incentive to write articles that generate a lot of interest. Especially one that works for a tabloid like The Telegraph. Everyone has a bias.

BamaNation All-American

You have a great point. However, your word choice is particularly telling. A government entity paying a scientist to "study" climate change would allow for a positive or negative response. The oil and gas companies pay for a particular answer. In your words: to "disprove" it. Even if your suggestion is true that many scientists would fabricate data in order to keep getting funded, would ALL? We are talking about 97+% generating the same result no matter if it is privately funded or government funded. The government doesn't just drop funding if they don't get the result they want. An oil and gas company can and does.
    Governments (especially ours) drop funding when they don't get the results they want all the time. Writing a grant to get/continue funding for almost anything has become very politicized.

Edit: The fact that there is so much agreement IMO does not always speak to the result. There is a great deal of history of science where everyone agrees with the wrong conclusions. That does not mean we shouldn't listen and take that as the consensus, but it also doesn't mean we should consider it the end of the question. IMO we still have such a limited data set that we have not way of drawing a conclusion.

Also, journalists have an incentive to write articles that generate a lot of interest. Especially one that works for a tabloid like The Telegraph. Everyone has a bias.
    No argument there.
    Last edited by mittman; February 26th, 2015 at 01:34 PM.