Paper; Global Warming "The Biggest Science Scandal Ever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Electric cars.................the salvation on mankind...............

Or not:

http://mitsloan.mit.edu/newsroom/ar...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=electriccar

To change that, we have to get the infrastructure around electric vehicles up to speed — and it is going to be a big job, Keith says. “We need charging of electric vehicles to be as easy as driving a gasoline vehicle today. That means building the actual charging stations themselves, and then having an electricity grid that can support this additional demand for electricity. If we want fast charging, that means we need to provide a lot of electricity, often in locations where the grid may not necessarily be built for it today. It also means having mechanics who know how to fix electric vehicles — building out the whole ecosystem is critical and that is going to take a long time.”
Oh, I thought it was supposed to be easy......just plug it into the outlet..............</sarcasm>

Keith says that electric vehicles are a step in the right direction — they give off no emissions, so cities themselves will be cleaner. But he also points out that the energy we are using to charge our electric vehicles matter. If consumers are recharging their vehicles with coal or natural gas, the plants that provide that energy are still giving off emissions, it is just happening outside of cities. “Electric vehicles help, but in the long run, electric vehicles need clean electricity in order to maximize their environmental benefits.”

Really? Try telling that to a greenie.

"Oh, but we will just use solar!"

Ask them how much energy it takes to make one of those things. And how long they last.

Crickets.

"Then we will go to wind!"

So the other kook environmentalists go ballistic, when all the birds get hacked to bits.

The green revolution: still looking for the free lunch. I bet they even want "free electricity" for recharging.

"Right! Tax the rich! Make them pay for it." :biggrin2:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Electric cars.................the salvation on mankind...............

Or not:

http://mitsloan.mit.edu/newsroom/ar...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=electriccar

Oh, I thought it was supposed to be easy......just plug it into the outlet..............</sarcasm>

Really? Try telling that to a greenie.

"Oh, but we will just use solar!"

Ask them how much energy it takes to make one of those things. And how long they last.

Crickets.

"Then we will go to wind!"

So the other kook environmentalists go ballistic, when all the birds get hacked to bits.

The green revolution: still looking for the free lunch. I bet they even want "free electricity" for recharging.

"Right! Tax the rich! Make them pay for it." :biggrin2:
all of those things are fairly well known in the non-strawman universe ;)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
While the current power grid may have many inefficiencies, shifting to electricity generated from centralized sources offers huge advantages in terms of reducing pollution. It is far easier to control emissions for any given single power plant than trying to control emissions coming from a huge number of point sources (such as automobiles).

Any way you cut it. Electricity will form the foundation of our transportation systems for the future.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

"I'll be dead before any of the truly bad consequences are realized, so what do I care about slowing the rate of global warming?" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You have no idea what we will be able to do about it in the future.
I have complete confidence in future capabilities, which is why I'm not an alarmist today.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
They realize that's where the profit will be in the near future, and we're actively handing that to them.
Maybe so. Cough, cough. Or maybe the Chinese government realized that the ability to breathe effortlessly is critical to maintaining control of the populace.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
You have no idea what we will be able to do about it in the future.
Hate to throw a wet blanket over your enthusiasm, but..............

News flash: you don't either!

Which is why I am firmly convinced that the "next big thing" that solves these problems has not even been envisioned yet, let alone invented.

Seen lots of "next big things" come and go, or be constantly hyped, for decades. Eventually, someone will come up with something.

Hopefully, they will get filthy rich, and the gubbament will not strangle it.

If I'm lucky, I'll live to see it. Probably not.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
China is actually one of the world's leaders in the green revolution, and they are among the countries most eager to embrace clean energy. They realize that's where the profit will be in the near future, and we're actively handing that to them.
Couldn't find this, the other day (senior citizen moment), but here is one reason why I said "get back to me in 10 to 20 years."

http://www.investors.com/politics/columnists/europes-lesson-teaches-us-dont-go-green/

Go ahead................hate me! All my bosses did.

Funny thing is I always had a way to outlast them...............

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The irony about all of this (regarding green energy) is that capitalism will force a solve. You just have to wait for it. It always creates a solution.

And yes, lobbies slow down certain types of progress, but that's okay too. Because then it allows the other side to create this huge media bias to counter the speed bump that Big Oil put in the way.

Ultimately it all works. No one is patient enough to wait.

And yes, at some point your "Al Gore's Perfect World" world will start to condemn "electric cars" and their damage to the Milky Way, as we keep sending tons of these expired batteries into space....

......only to alter the solar system's rate of speed....and then the "galactic green team" - based in Lee County, Sabanalabama (re-named in 2045 after his 25th Consecutive National Championship)

......the Galactic Green Team will see The Musk-Amazon Enterprise as Enemy #1....

Because we are killing the Solar System, we hate people who choose to travel in person vs virtual travel, and because the abundance of chickens erodes all of our natural resources because we stopped eating them decades ago.....

But after centuries of exploitation, their bodies still produce massive numbers of eggs daily, and through evolution, and the huge amount of hormones we added for decades have created........self-fertilized eggs.........

......which became necessary because all the roosters chose to identify as Hens, and struggled to be heard.

Now....With the abundance of chickens and our inability to kill any, for any reason......

......due to The Humanity Amendment (aka - the 72nd Amendment - signed by President Clinton Trump the 3rd...) This act has created a pool of fowl waste so thick, we have all been regulated to permanent indoor status.

And, it never ends. No matter what we do, we continually will kill the planet. It's almost like.....we want to kill it. And that's too bad. Too bad indeed.

If you find this message from the future....this may be your only warning. Drill Baby Drill.....may be our only hope for survival.

- Captain Erica Strawman, 4/1/2275

And this is my argument.....

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
NASA, NOAA Data Show 2016 Warmest Year on Record Globally

Earth’s 2016 surface temperatures were the warmest since modern recordkeeping began in 1880, according to independent analyses by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Globally-averaged temperatures in 2016 were 1.78 degrees Fahrenheit (0.99 degrees Celsius) warmer than the mid-20th century mean. This makes 2016 the third year in a row to set a new record for global average surface temperatures.

The 2016 temperatures continue a long-term warming trend, according to analyses by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York. NOAA scientists concur with the finding that 2016 was the warmest year on record based on separate, independent analyses of the data.

Because weather station locations and measurement practices change over time, there are uncertainties in the interpretation of specific year-to-year global mean temperature differences. However, even taking this into account, NASA estimates 2016 was the warmest year with greater than 95 percent certainty.

“2016 is remarkably the third record year in a row in this series,” said GISS Director Gavin Schmidt. “We don’t expect record years every year, but the ongoing long-term warming trend is clear.”
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-noaa-data-show-2016-warmest-year-on-record-globally

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: NASA, NOAA Data Show 2016 Warmest Year on Record Globally

And in a year or two, NOAA will issue revised temp data, that will show it wasn't the highest on record.

They always do, but it never gets covered.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
And yes, lobbies slow down certain types of progress, by building up worse solutions through tax breaks, and other forms of gubbament interference and waste.
FIFY!

(Translation: Green Energy fascists vs Big Oil fascists. Ironic part is some of the Green fascists were Big Oil fascists. I guess they became "enlightened".)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/12/scientists-discover-91-volcanos-antarctica

Scientists have uncovered the largest volcanic region on Earth – two kilometres below the surface of the vast ice sheet that covers west Antarctica.

The project, by Edinburgh University researchers, has revealed almost 100 volcanoes – with the highest as tall as the Eiger, which stands at almost 4,000 metres in Switzerland.
Maybe the ice is melting due to heat from under the ice sheet.....? ;)

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

And in a year or two, NOAA will issue revised temp data, that will show it wasn't the highest on record.

They always do, but it never gets covered.
Maybe they will revise the data but its 50/50 which way it gets revised.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

An inconvenient truth: new study claims planet was warmer in medieval times

"Holy denier, Batman!"

From the study (which appears at a site that requires a subscription, so this is taken from the linked article):

Typical of most such temperature series, it zigzags up and down while showing two rising trends: the first peaks about 1200 AD and corresponds with a period known as the Medieval Warm Period (MWP), while the second peaks in 1980 and then shows decline. ...

There are, however, multiple lines of evidence indicating it was about a degree warmer across Europe during the MWP – corresponding with the 1200 AD rise in our Northern Hemisphere composite. In fact, there are oodles of published technical papers based on proxy records that provide a relatively warm temperature profile for this period.
And the writer throws this one in, just to rub it into ManBearPig's face:

Anyway, Marohasy's study will be ignored completely. But if it cannot be, just like the Catholic church did to Copernicus, the modern scientific community will launch an anti-science jihad against this non-believing apostate who dared question The Faith.
(Because ManBearPig is the foremost climatology expert. And documented prevaricator, but, again, I digress.)

Or, you could ask Judith Curry. I'm sure she has lots of glowing things to say about her former colleagues turned attackers. Because they believe in science, and stuff, don'tcha know.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

An inconvenient truth: new study claims planet was warmer in medieval times

"Holy denier, Batman!"

From the study (which appears at a site that requires a subscription, so this is taken from the linked article):

And the writer throws this one in, just to rub it into ManBearPig's face:

(Because ManBearPig is the foremost climatology expert. And documented prevaricator, but, again, I digress.)

Or, you could ask Judith Curry. I'm sure she has lots of glowing things to say about her former colleagues turned attackers. Because they believe in science, and stuff, don'tcha know.
i could be wrong, but the fact that john nolte is a hack combined with the copernicus non-sense in the lead in, make me think this will be like every other "omg, this study totes proves climate change is a hoax" that pops up here every few months.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Step 1. Individuals and groups evolved a bias to maximize fitness by maximizing power, which requires over-reproduction and/or over-consumption of natural resources (overshoot), whenever systemic constraints allow it. Differential power generation and accumulation result in a hierarchical group structure.

Step 2. Energy is always limited, and overshoot eventually leads to decreasing power available to some members of the group, with lower-ranking members suffering first.

Step 3. Diminishing power availability creates divisive subgroups within the original group. Low-rank members will form subgroups and coalitions to demand a greater share of power from higher-ranking individuals, who will resist by forming their own coalitions to maintain power.

Step 4. Violent social strife eventually occurs among subgroups who demand a greater share of the remaining power.

Step 5. The weakest subgroups (high or low rank) are either forced to disperse to a new territory, are killed, enslaved, or imprisoned.

Step 6. Go back to step 1.
Jay Hanson's Site

We are somewhere around Step 3 right now Passed Step 2 around the 1990s .

Last edited by a moderator:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

I especially liked this part, Cuda. How can a person argue with that?

If Leftists truly believe a warming planet will inevitably flood the coasts, why then do most leftists live on the coasts? Manhattan was supposed to be underwater a year ago. Nevertheless, CNN parent company Time Warner is spending billions on a new headquarters just blocks from all that dangerous water.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

i could be wrong, but the fact that john nolte is a hack combined with the copernicus non-sense in the lead in, make me think this will be like every other "omg, this study totes proves climate change is a hoax" that pops up here every few months.
You mean like the one that shows the ice core data indicates that CO2 is a lagging, and not a leading, parameter?

When one of ManBearPig's doom-and-gloom scenarios pans out, let us know.

In the meantime...............more kooks need to move to the coast!

If global warming/sea level rise doesn't get 'em, maybe a Guam-tipping-over event will get rid of them for us.

In the meantime...........ask Judith Curry. DENIER! WITCH! BURN HER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.