Paper; Global Warming "The Biggest Science Scandal Ever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Well, I'd tell the young people of today, don't save money -- because we only have about 30 or 40 years max --- according to this chart. Hell, even the Optimistic Scenario has us all dying in 83 years.....2 degrees warming since 1980 or so -- would be enough to tip over Guam, put Miami under water, AND kill the Polar Bears.

I'd say -- don't save a dime -- blow it all.....have a party..... We are all doomed.

We control less than 5% of the World's Population -- the other 95% pretty much do what they want.

If we want to save the planet -- we must let Donald take over the world.....it's the only way.

Side note -- the chart says the data was from 2013 -- yet it says "Present Day" is 2016....what gives?

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
"Change sounds really hard, and our generations will all be dead before the worst consequences emerge. That doesn't sound like my problem, so why need I lift a finger to forestall? Grab your lyre and take a seat by the window. Let's screw our children and sacrifice our grandchildren while we settle in to watch the world burn."

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
"Change sounds really hard, and our generations will all be dead before the worst consequences emerge. That doesn't sound like my problem, so why need I lift a finger to forestall? Grab your lyre and take a seat by the window. Let's screw our children and sacrifice our grandchildren while we settle in to watch the world burn."

I thought the blue was not necessary

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I thought the blue was not necessary
Wasn't sure if you were entirely joking, tbh, but that response wasn't directed towards you.

A common sentiment I've seen here and elsewhere is that the projection looks bad no matter what actions we take to mitigate the damage, so why even try? Or, China won't do anything to mitigate their own emissions (obviously incorrect), so why should we? It's a craven, defeatist, and illogical attitude, typically rooted in selfish concerns.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Wasn't sure if you were entirely joking, tbh, but that response wasn't directed towards you.

A common sentiment I've seen here and elsewhere is that the projection looks bad no matter what actions we take to mitigate the damage, so why even try? Or, China won't do anything to mitigate their own emissions (obviously incorrect), so why should we? It's a craven, defeatist, and illogical attitude, typically rooted in selfish concerns.
Okay, maybe some should have been in blue.

I do believe that if your chart is indeed an accurate depiction of the history of Temperature on the planet -- that, as China, India, et al continue to expand globally, that we have less and less control over their carbon footprint.....

And according to your chart -- if we can only make a 50% impact, then we are still doomed.

What I do find illogical -- are people who seem to portray me as someone who doesn't care about my kids, the world's kids, the future generations, etc.....but, believe that the world shouldn't have more kids -- because we are sooooo heavily populated.

Big chunks of future generations are being wiped out each and every day..... but, that one is okay....and in fact encouraged by the same people who believe in Climate Change.

Not sure why I even typed this -- it won't matter.

Eventually the world will get warmer to the point where you can grow peaches in New Hampshire -- and the mosquitos will be bigger than a Volkswagen...

And then, 90% of the planet will die -- and life will go on.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Well, I'd tell the young people of today, don't save money -- because we only have about 30 or 40 years max --- according to this chart. Hell, even the Optimistic Scenario has us all dying in 83 years.....2 degrees warming since 1980 or so -- would be enough to tip over Guam, put Miami under water, AND kill the Polar Bears.

I'd say -- don't save a dime -- blow it all.....have a party..... We are all doomed.

We control less than 5% of the World's Population -- the other 95% pretty much do what they want.

If we want to save the planet -- we must let Donald take over the world.....it's the only way.

Side note -- the chart says the data was from 2013 -- yet it says "Present Day" is 2016....what gives?
That's already pretty much SOP

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Reasonable changes are...well...reasonable. Irrational ones, not so much.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That's part of why backing out if Paris is so frustrating. We've ceded control of a very lucrative industry.
If there's money to be made and the government doesn't choke off opportunities with bureaucracy and regulation, U.S. companies will invest heavily.

As a note, with the U.S. generating no more than 30% of its energy from coal, it will be a while before China assumes a "leadership" position.

Illustrating the enormity of the challenge, the NEA repeated on Thursday that renewables will still only account for just 15 percent of overall energy consumption by 2020, equivalent to 580 million tonnes of coal.

More than half of the nation’s installed power capacity will still be fueled by coal over the same period.
It will also be interesting to see how the environmental impact shifts to other areas as China invests heavily in wind farms and hydroelectricity.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Maybe that is a good thing at least in regards to China. They are actually investing in the future unlike our obsession with coal and oil. In 20 years, they will be the leaders in green tech and we will have to buy it from them.

China looks to ban petrol cars

China to invest $360 billon in renewable energy by 2020
Now if they'll quit using heavy diesel on their large container ships and put scrubbers on all their exhaust plumes on their factories, that will be great.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Earth sweltered to 3rd hottest August, summer on record

Earth just sweated through the third hottest August and summer on record.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Monday the globe last month averaged 61.5 degrees (16.43 Celsius), which was a degree-and-a-half higher than the 20th century average, but behind 2016 and 2015.

The average temperature for June through August was 61.47 degrees (16.41 Celsius).

So far the year to date has edged out 2015 and is the second hottest January through August, averaging 58.88 degrees (14.88 Celsius), behind 2016.

Records go back to 1880.

NOAA climate scientist Jake Crouch says even though records weren't broken, it's been warmer than 99 percent of the other months and a sign of long-term climate change.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/earth-sweltered-3rd-hottest-august-summer-record-49932052

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Ken Rice weighs in:

https://andthentheresphysics.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/more-time-really/

A recent paper about [e]mission budgets and pathways consistent with limiting warming to 1.5 °C essentially argues that it is still possible to follow an emission pathway that will give us a good chance of keeping warming below 1.5oC. More specifically, if we can keep total emissions from 2015 to below 200 – 250GtC (depending on what we do with regards to non-CO2 emissions) then we will have about a 66% chance of keeping warming to below 1.5oC.

Unfortunately, this has been interpreted in some circles as suggesting that we can relax a bit because we have more time than we had previously thought. This was mainly based on previous analyses suggesting that the carbon budget that would keep warming below 1.5oC was only about 50GtC (from 2015). Let’s be clear about something; we’re currently emitting 10GtC per year. Whether the budget is 50GtC, or 250GtC, we pretty much have to start reducing emissions now, and get them to zero as soon as we realistically can. Of course, if it is 250GtC, then that will be easier to achieve than if it is 50GtC, but it doesn’t really change what we should do, assuming that we do want to achieve this target. Personally, I think the correct framing is: if this study is correct, and if we keep total emissions from 2015 to below 200-250GtC, we might keep warming to below 1.5C.

However, I think there are some potential issues with this paper. One is that they’re assuming an 1861-1880 baseline from which they’re estimating the observed temperature change. There are arguments (here, for example) suggesting that to properly capture the warming we should use an earlier baseline, which would lead to us having warmed more than if we use a late 1800s baseline. Hence, we may already be closer to 1.5oC than this paper suggests.

Another potential issue is that a key factor in their analysis is a potential mismatch between the model warming and the observed warming (see figure on right). Their argument is that after emitting as much as we have to date, the models predict more warming than has been observed. Hence, the models are predicting a smaller carbon budget than may actually be the case.

One problem is that there have been a number of recent studies reconciling the supposed model/observation discrepancy. These include updating the forcings and doing a proper apples-to-apples comparison by using blended temperatures (i.e., climate model output is typically air temperatures, while observations are a combination of air and sea-surface). So, there may not even be as big a discrepancy as suggested in this paper.

However, even if there is a discrepancy between the models and the observations, we still don’t know if this is because the models are really running too hot, or because some internal process (the pattern of sea surface warming, for example) has suppressed some of the forced warming. If the latter, then we’d expect the observations to catch up to the models at some point in the future and, hence, the initial model estimates for the carbon budget may not be too low.

So, I would certainly be cautious about assuming that the carbon budget is indeed as high as suggested by this new paper. However, in some sense it doesn’t make a great deal of difference. Even if the carbon budget that would give us a 66% chance of staying below 1.5C is 250GtC (or ~400GtC for 2oC) achieving this is going to require pretty drastic emission cuts starting as soon as we possibly can. It certainly doesn’t, in my view, imply that we can now sit back, relax, and wait a few more years before seriously thinking about how to reduce our emissions.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Earth sweltered to 3rd hottest August, summer on record

Bamaro said:
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Monday the globe last month averaged 61.5 degrees (16.43 Celsius), which was a degree-and-a-half higher than the 20th century average, but behind 2016 and 2015.
you are so blinded by your bias you missed that there is a cooling trend, why is nobody talking about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.