Paper; Global Warming "The Biggest Science Scandal Ever"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm closing in on 66 years old, and calling myself retired these days. I've always looked forward to my retirement, I love the beach and looked forward to time there.

I fondly remember the Gulf water from vacationing there as a child. If you happened to have a cut on your skin, the salt water was good for the wound. Now, I understand that you need to check the fecal content of the Ocean in the area you plan to visit to see if you can even get in the water. And meanwhile the orange disgrace is cutting back on every protection the environment has.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm closing in on 66 years old, and calling myself retired these days. I've always looked forward to my retirement, I love the beach and looked forward to time there.

I fondly remember the Gulf water from vacationing there as a child. If you happened to have a cut on your skin, the salt water was good for the wound. Now, I understand that you need to check the fecal content of the Ocean in the area you plan to visit to see if you can even get in the water. And meanwhile the orange disgrace is cutting back on every protection the environment has.
I think that's an interesting comment, considering this was an issue long before The Don took office. Populations have flocked to the Gulf, thus more sewage is dumped into the Gulf which causes most of these issues. I'd say start with your local water districts, municipalities, counties and state government before placing blame on Clinton, Bush, Obama or Trump for this.

Just look at Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. Condos now line the beaches when it used to be pristine sand for miles. Condo owners, renters & workers generate "waste" and that waste must be disposed of. So...

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, over population and industrialization by the likes of Brazil, China, India and other countries are the biggest threats to the environment at this point, at least from a global perspective. The US and Europe are but blips on the radar at this point. But hey, keep screaming for the Green Initiative when these countries won't buy into it.

I'm all for protecting our environment in the US for my kids, grand kids, etc. I want them to have access to clean water, forests to hunt & hike in and clean air to breathe. Anyone who opposes that is stupid and I think we all agree on that. I think there are instances like in the case of DuPont and Monsanto where there is knowing, willful neglect and those companies and officers need to be punished severely for causing harm. I also think the EPA telling a farmer or land owner that he can't build a pond on his land or do this or that is also harmful. There has to be some balance. I don't have all the answers, but I'm certainly willing to sit down and discuss, but the shrill screams from the left have become so repetitive without any real or meaningful solutions that's just background noise to me at this point.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think that's an interesting comment, considering this was an issue long before The Don took office. Populations have flocked to the Gulf, thus more sewage is dumped into the Gulf which causes most of these issues. I'd say start with your local water districts, municipalities, counties and state government before placing blame on Clinton, Bush, Obama or Trump for this.

Just look at Gulf Shore and Orange Beach. Condos now line the beaches when it used to be pristine sand for miles. Condo owners, renters & workers generate "waste" and that waste must be disposed of. So...
I'm sorry you don't see the connection between deteriorating environmental conditions such as water quality and deregulating controls that are put in place to either slow down or prevent the degradation.

Yes, there were problems before the orange clown took office, but he's doubling down to make things worse.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm sorry you don't see the connection between deteriorating environmental conditions such as water quality and deregulating controls that are put in place to either slow down or prevent the degradation.

Yes, there were problems before the orange clown took office, but he's doubling down to make things worse.
So, you can accurately and succinctly prove that bacteria in ocean is directly linked to Trump's environmental roll backs? Wow. I'm impressed. I recall even as a child back in the 70s and early 80s, older men getting V. vulnificus from fishing off the old causeway. It's nothing new. Again, I think the threat has grown but more so for the reasons I listed.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Chukker - An interesting read from Scientific American. The ages of the men are in line with what I pointed out earlier as well. My guess is there's a degree of health issues that prevent the body from fighting the bacterial infection such as diabetes or poor circulation in general.

As for the global warming, see my other post. I'm not disputing it, I just don't think the US is now a major player.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...spreading-to-beaches-once-thought-off-limits/

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

If anyone is a gardener attempting to grow their own food or a farmer attempting to grow food for others it becomes very easy to recognize the very real changes that are occurring in our climate and growing conditions. As winters become warmer there are many implications including greater insect and pest infestation. Weather comes in extremes that are obvious to any casual observer 12" of rain in a day then no rain for weeks and weeks.
We could go on and on but we know that the Pentagon has already put contingency plans in place to deal with massive migration of populations away from areas where water and food shortages persist as temperatures continue to rise. We are already seeing this from Central America. It will only grow! Anyone who isn't concerned for the conditions that our children and grand children will face in the decades ahead are simply ignoring the facts!

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If anyone is a gardener attempting to grow their own food or a farmer attempting to grow food for others it becomes very easy to recognize the very real changes that are occurring in our climate and growing conditions. As winters become warmer there are many implications including greater insect and pest infestation. Weather comes in extremes that are obvious to any casual observer 12" of rain in a day then no rain for weeks and weeks.
We could go on and on but we know that the Pentagon has already put contingency plans in place to deal with massive migration of populations away from areas where water and food shortages persist as temperatures continue to rise. We are already seeing this from Central America. It will only grow! Anyone who isn't concerned for the conditions that our children and grand children will face in the decades ahead are simply ignoring the facts!
No disagreement. You see the mass migration from the middle east and Africa to Europe as well. Their inability to control birth rates and burning through their limited resources are contributing factors.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

And now the orange buffoon thinks that we should all be driving Bradleys (not specifically but you get my point)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
So, you can accurately and succinctly prove that bacteria in ocean is directly linked to Trump's environmental roll backs? Wow. I'm impressed.
I'm not trying to impress you.

At a time of deteriorating environmental conditions on every front, including water quality, I would argue that's the worst time to start deregulating every environmental protection we have in place. Which is exactly what the criminal clown occupying the White House is doing.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I am weary of this game:

"I'm for responsible gun laws, but the specific proposal would not have prevented this shooting..., so I can't support it."

"What's the point of shutting our coal plants when China has so many?"

"Sure, the ocean water quality is getting worse, but you can't point to a specific relaxing of any regulation to pin this on Trump."

When did common sense become a non-factor in so many people's thinking? I was raised to think you work to make things better, no matter how steep the climb. I'm not on board with this defeatist"s approach..."things are so bad what's the point of trying?"

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I am weary of this game:

"I'm for responsible gun laws, but the specific proposal would not have prevented this shooting..., so I can't support it."

"Sure, the ocean water quality is getting worse, but you can't point to a specific relaxing of any regulation to pin this on Trump."

When did common sense become a non-factor in so many people's thinking? I was raised to think you work to make things better, no matter how steep the climb. I'm not on board with this defeatist"s approach..."things are so bad what's the point of trying?"
at least in part, this is due to decades of talk radio and fox news. but it started before that.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
at least in part, this is due to decades of talk radio and fox news. but it started before that.
George Wallace was their pioneer breaking new ground railing against pointy-headed liberals. We are now seeing the next generation fall in line with that crap.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I am weary of this game:

The reality is China and India are going in for renewable and nuclear in a huge way. While we're still chanting " drill,baby,drill". The US is 2nd to Saudi in per capita carbon emission, btw. I would guess a lot of the Saudi emissions is attributal to air conditioning and desalination.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
interesting study review

https://qz.com/1069298/the-3-of-sci...e&hootPostID=73481a447397666be6d87431aa59f50d

It’s often said that of all the published scientific research on climate change, 97% of the papers conclude that global warming is real, problematic for the planet, and has been exacerbated by human activity.But what about those 3% of papers that reach contrary conclusions? Some skeptics have suggested that the authors of studies indicating that climate change is not real, not harmful, or not man-made are bravely standing up for the truth, like maverick thinkers of the past. (Galileo is often invoked, though his fellow scientists mostly agreed with his conclusions—it was church leaders who tried to suppress them.)
Not so, according to a review published in the journal of Theoretical and Applied Climatology. The researchers tried to replicate the results of those 3% of papers—a common way to test scientific studies—and found biased, faulty results.
Katharine Hayhoe, an atmospheric scientist at Texas Tech University, worked with a team of researchers to look at the 38 papers published in peer-reviewed journals in the last decade that denied anthropogenic global warming.
“Every single one of those analyses had an error—in their assumptions, methodology, or analysis—that, when corrected, brought their results into line with the scientific consensus,” Hayhoe wrote in a Facebook post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.