Framework for a Nuclear Deal with Iran: apparently agreement

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Well, selling the Iranians anti-tank missiles (with a range of less than four kilometers) to use against Saddam Hussein's forces might not be exactly the same thing as allowing a guy who yells, "Death to America!" to get his hands on nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
I could be wrong on that, however, and you could be right. These two activities could be exactly the same thing.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
If the agreement doesn't work out we can always bomb them back to the stone age later. I know some of you can't wait but a little patience please.

Regarding inspections, this might elucidate some one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...cheating-according-to-a-former-u-n-inspector/

Once it submits a request to Iran to visit an “undeclared” facility, the IAEA and Iran will have 14 days to agree on the terms of access. If IAEA concerns are not met within that period, a joint commission made up of the seven negotiating countries — Iran and the United States and its partners — plus the European Union, will have up to seven days to review the dispute and decide what Iran needs to do.
Only five of the eight members need to agree, effectively ensuring that Iran, Russia and China cannot prevail if they vote together. Iran then has three days to implement the decision. If it does not, “then we can begin snap-back” of sanctions, a [U.S.] administration official said.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If the agreement doesn't work out we can always bomb them back to the stone age later. I know some of you can't wait but a little patience please.

Regarding inspections, this might elucidate some one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...cheating-according-to-a-former-u-n-inspector/

Once it submits a request to Iran to visit an “undeclared” facility, the IAEA and Iran will have 14 days to agree on the terms of access. If IAEA concerns are not met within that period, a joint commission made up of the seven negotiating countries — Iran and the United States and its partners — plus the European Union, will have up to seven days to review the dispute and decide what Iran needs to do.
Only five of the eight members need to agree, effectively ensuring that Iran, Russia and China cannot prevail if they vote together. Iran then has three days to implement the decision. If it does not, “then we can begin snap-back” of sanctions, a [U.S.] administration official said.
I see 24 days from the time the IAEA declares it wants to see facility X, if Iran does not agree. 24 days is a bit of time to hide the evidence.
Once the 24 days expires and the IAEA declares it will start "snap-inspections," the Iranians can just say, "To heck with you people, we are leaving the regimen." Then President Clinton will say, "Look, we don't want to give up on diplomacy. Let's talk about this for a few months."

I am not in favor of bombing ran. I would prefer the sanctions remain in place for those uncivilized savages and murderers until they come to their senses (or they just learn to like being economically depressed). This deal moves up the time when the US (or Israel) will face the alternatives of bombing a nuclear Iran or losing a major city of our own.
Not to worry. Whenever that happens, Democrats will say "It's Bush's fault."

Plus, everybody in the neighborhood with enough money will see through the vacuous terms of the agreement and realize that the Iranians just got a paved road to nuclear weapons, so they will have to get nuclear weapons of their own.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Based on what I've read, right now, if Iran went all out, they could have a nuclear weapon in three months. I think we can all agree THAT WOULD BE BAD.

The proposed deal does not eliminate the possibility that Iran could still make a nuke. But

• It will be MUCH harder for them to do so, due to massive reductions in resources and equipment.
  • It will be much harder for them to do so without being detected.
  • They will have a strong incentive not to pursue nukes--the sanctions will be gradually lifted, but the agreement allows them to be reinstated almost instantly.

Is it perfect? No. I agree that Iran should release any hostages held by the government. If they are smart, they will allow opposition to the agreement to build, then release the hostages as a show of good faith.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Based on what I've read, right now, if Iran went all out, they could have a nuclear weapon in three months. I think we can all agree THAT WOULD BE BAD.

The proposed deal does not eliminate the possibility that Iran could still make a nuke. But

• It will be MUCH harder for them to do so, due to massive reductions in resources and equipment.
  • They will have a strong incentive not to pursue nukes--the sanctions will be gradually lifted, but the agreement allows them to be reinstated almost instantly.
Is it perfect? No. I agree that Iran should release any hostages held by the government. If they are smart, they will allow opposition to the agreement to build, then release the hostages as a show of good faith.
Perhaps this is all correct.
I just think it will be much more difficult reimposing sanctions for alleged bad behavior than it would be to keep them in place. It will not be instant.
Just look at the Europeans and the Russian invasion of Europe. There are a lot of Europeans who are falling all over themselves to deny to themselves and anybody who will listen that there are any Russian soldiers in Ukraine. Anybody with open eyes and a brain can see there are Russian troops in Ukraine, yet there are people who deny it.
The same dynamic will happen with Iran when Iran starts to cheat and deny the right of outside inspectors to inspect certain facilities, citing "Iranian national security." Some will say, "Come one, why are you picking on Iran? Do you have any proof they are cheating?"
To which rational people will say, "No, we do not have proof, because the Iranians are denying inspectors access to the facility in question."
The "let Iran off the hook" crowd will say, "See? No proof."

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I wonder if Iran can easily cheat by moving its nuclear operations into Iraq or Syria. Iran has a material presence in both countries and could benefit from the unrest and the availability of "lawless" areas to conduct clandestine nuclear operations.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Chamberlin also thought a verbal agreement with the enemy would secure peace.

Last edited:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Isn't this just great?
The tyrant trusts Iranians with nukes but not Marines with handguns.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Interesting assessment of the deal in the WSJ:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-iran-deals-collapsing-rationale-1437436211

“The U.S. is specifically looking at ways to expedite arms transfers to Arab states in the Persian Gulf and is accelerating plans for them to develop an integrated regional ballistic missile defense capability,” the Journal’s Carol Lee and Gordon Lubold reported Monday. The goal, they add, is to prevent the Saudis “from trying to match Tehran’s nuclear capabilities.”

Let’s follow this logic. If the Iran deal is as fail-safe as President Obama claims, why not prove it by giving the Saudis exactly the same nuclear rights that Iran is now to enjoy? Why race to prevent an ally from developing a capability we have just ceded to an enemy? What’s the point of providing the Saudis with defense capabilities they presumably don’t need?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
He tweets for internal consumption. Iran has its own hardline nutcases.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/20/us-iran-nuclear-un-idUSKCN0PU1BH20150720

Iranian hardliners are worried that U.N. inspectors may gain some access to sensitive military sites under the resolution, which becomes international law.
The country’s senior nuclear negotiator, Seyed Abbas Araghchi, dismissed critics' concerns and called the resolution an "unprecedented achievement in Iran’s history". The deal must be approved by Iran's National Security Council and later by Khamenei. Parliament's role is not clear.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.