Framework for a Nuclear Deal with Iran: apparently agreement

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Obama grants clemency to seven in Iran deal

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under...an-deal-obama-grants-clemency-to-seven-217879

...and now you know some of the rest of the story. There are others who received pardons.
I am of two minds on this. On one hand, I have no problem giving the Iranians their knuckleheads if it gets Americans released.
On the other hand, I am worried that Iran (and others) may start collecting "bargaining chips" for future interactions with the US.
Then again, anybody who travels to Iran (or North Korea) is probably asking for trouble.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am of two minds on this. On one hand, I have no problem giving the Iranians their knuckleheads if it gets Americans released.
On the other hand, I am worried that Iran (and others) may start collecting "bargaining chips" for future interactions with the US.
Then again, anybody who travels to Iran (or North Korea) is probably asking for trouble.
It's not as if it hadn't been proven over and over...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It's not as if it hadn't been proven over and over...
It kind of chaps my hide when American knuckleheads go to insanely dangerous places saying, "It's my right as an American" despite Dept. of State warning s not go to insanely dangerous places, and then, when they are grabbed by the local authorities, they say, "But I'm an American. My government must rescue me."
That said, I don't like it when foreign governments (especially ones known for kangaroo courts)grab American citizens either. I'd rather they expel folks they do not like.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It kind of chaps my hide when American knuckleheads go to insanely dangerous places saying, "It's my right as an American" despite Dept. of State warning s not go to insanely dangerous places, and then, when they are grabbed by the local authorities, they say, "But I'm an American. My government must rescue me."
That said, I don't like it when foreign governments (especially ones known for kangaroo courts)grab American citizens either. I'd rather they expel folks they do not like.
That's the civilized way. However, hostage-taking is as old as mankind...

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Is there a reason for anyone not named John Kerry to go to Iran? Maybe if you're a area rug retailer?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That's the civilized way. However, hostage-taking is as old as mankind...
Funny you should say that. I was reading a bio of Sulla. At the tail end of the Jugurthan War, King Bocchus of what is now Morocco asked Sulla to come to a meeting, at which Bocchus said he would sell out his son-in-law, Jugurtha. Meanwhile, Bocchus had told Jugurtha that he would sell out Sulla (as a bargaining chip). So they all showed up to the same meeting, and, long story short, Bocchus sold out his son-in-law to the Romans.
The idea of promising two different parties that you would sell out the other is a mind-boggling concept to me. That is high-stakes poker.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/01/barack-obama-and-the-hall-of-fame-of-straw-men.php

Barack Obama is famous for the false choice: time after time, he posits only two alternatives, one of which is his preferred course while the other option is an obvious straw man, sometimes a course that has never been advocated by anyone.
Obama began by describing a world in which his political opponents are afraid to engage in diplomacy, while he courageously engaged with Iran...

This is fantasy, and Obama knows it. In fact, his predecessor George W. Bush engaged in extended diplomatic negotiations with Iran along with the “six powers.” But the Bush administration, unwilling to make a bad deal that would hurt American security interests, insisted that Iran stop enriching uranium. This, rather than any purported fear of diplomacy, is why there was no nuclear deal during the Bush administration.

As we noted here, Barack Obama, as a presidential candidate in 2008, undermined the Bush administration’s negotiating position by signaling the mullahs that if they waited until he took office, he would cut an easier deal with them.

So the difference between the Obama administration and the Bush administration was not diplomacy vs. no diplomacy, but rather dumb diplomacy (Obama) vs. smart diplomacy (Bush).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And right on cue...
"Hey! I've got a great idea. We could take a vacation to North Korea. In January! That'd be awesome!"
UVa student, by the way. How did none of the adults in this knucklehead's life not tell him this was really, really stupid?

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
"moderates/reformists" win big gains in tehran election link

Final results for the Tehran constituency in Friday’s twin Iranian elections show a sweeping victory for reformist-backed candidates in the race for parliament and the assembly of experts.

The candidates took all but one seat in the assembly – a powerful clerical body responsible for appointing the next supreme leader – and enjoyed a clean sweep of all 30 seats allocated to Tehran in the 290-seat Iranian parliament, the majlis .

Countrywide assembly results have not been announced yet, but reformist-backed candidates and independents allied with President Hassan Rouhani are expected to outnumber conservatives who are against his mandate.

Analysis Five lessons from Iran's 2016 elections
Observers who portrayed the elections as a battle between ‘reformists’ and ‘hardliners’ have tied themselves in knots – especially after reporting earlier that nearly all reformists had been disqualified by the watchdog Guardian Council
Read more
Results from both elections amounted to a humiliating blow to hardliners in Iran, especially those who were intent in their opposition to Rouhani’s moderate agenda, including reaching a landmark nuclear deal with the west.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tape-recordings-obama-wants-to-conceal/article/2592883

...actually, negotiations began two years before the supposed moderate came to power. Obama didn't need to see a softening in Tehran before he wooed the death-to-America regime. He was all for it from the start. But the public might have balked if it had known negotiations started in 2011, when Iran was still run by an anti-Western Holocaust-denier whose stated goal was to wipe Israel off the map.
So the most transparent presidential administration in history — such as Obama's boast — lied about it, and then concealed the evidence.

If it had come out that the U.S. was negotiating with Ahmadinejad, it would have confirmed the truth that Obama was willing to do just about anything to get his legacy deal done. And, oh, what came between the true date that negotiations began and the stated date that they began? Why, the 2012 election, of course.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.