Police officer in South Carolina shoots man in the back 8 times.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I like I said before the man should not have run. I don't think the police man had any intention of killing a person when he made that stop. He was probably caught up in the excitement of the chase and instincts took over. Sure he thought the man had some drugs or something illegal on him. Not making excuses for the policeman but I bet he has some serious regret right now and probably would have let the man get away and just picked him up latter if he could do that chase all over again.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I like I said before the man should not have run. I don't think the police man had any intention of killing a person when he made that stop. He was probably caught up in the excitement of the trace and instincts took over. Sure he thought the man had some drugs or something illegal on him. Not making excuses for the policeman but I bet he has some serious regret right now and probably would have let the man get away and just picked him up latter if he could do that chase all over again.
Yes, he possibly wishes he had confiscated that guy's cell phone.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I have to say that I am really tired of people making excuses for cops or anyone else hurting or killing people without just cause. Teachers make excuses for other teachers. Cops makes excuses for cops. The general public makes excuses for cops. WHY?!!! We entrust these people with our liberties and with our lives just like we do politicians and they are more of an immediate threat to both our liberties and our lives when they are bad. This problem will not get better - and it is a much bigger problem than most anyone wants to admit - until the general public stops buying the lie that cops deserve special protections and immunities and when cops begin to police themselves with true honor. Just the same, I don't believe those things will happen without internal police investigations being open and public with members of the public participating in them from beginning to end. Something has to change and soon or this is going to blow up (figurative speech, here) in everyone's face. The youth, and especially youth of color, are blaming not just a bad apple here or there but the entire "system" - whatever that means. What concerns me about that is that 1. if the problem is the system then the system needs to be replaced with something and what will that be? and 2. This sentiment of the system being the problem is a phenomenon that is growing rapidly and not limited to this issue. The same is true in economics and a number of other issues. How many times have we heard that Congress is broken followed by support of executive actions that are constitutionally questionable at best. Momentum is this regard is increasing rapidly.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Entrance wounds aren't that bad from what I've seen. If they penetrated enough to exit, the exit wounds will likely be pretty messy, but those would be in the front.
This is true. The blood will be trapped beneath his belly and the ground. And, Dub, I went back and rechecked my memory. There's no doubt the LEO turns to his left and looks straight at the camera, before he goes to investigate...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am not normally one to pile on the anti-cop bandwagon nor do I think cops are evil in general. However, this case is sickening. The shooting makes no sense whatsoever. The guy had a warrant for unpaid child support. While that is not a good thing, it isn't deserving of being killed. Why not chase after him? If a cop can't outrun an overweight 50 year old, he doesn't need to be out on patrol. Also, even if he gets away, he left his car behind. I don't know if they could legally keep it and sell it to pay the guy's baby mamma's, but impounding it and using the car tag information would make it easier to find the guy.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
[/IMG]

This is a good talk to have for parents of young men especially of young African American men.
If I adopted a black male child, this is exactly the talk I would have with him. I would want him to get home alive.
The only things I would add would be, do not yell at the cop (stay as calm as you can), say, "sir" a lot, and if the cop is wrong, we'll take it up with his boss the next day (don't try to fix the police force right then and there on the street).

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I have to say that I am really tired of people making excuses for cops or anyone else hurting or killing people without just cause. Teachers make excuses for other teachers. Cops makes excuses for cops. The general public makes excuses for cops. WHY?!!! We entrust these people with our liberties and with our lives just like we do politicians and they are more of an immediate threat to both our liberties and our lives when they are bad. This problem will not get better - and it is a much bigger problem than most anyone wants to admit - until the general public stops buying the lie that cops deserve special protections and immunities and when cops begin to police themselves with true honor. Just the same, I don't believe those things will happen without internal police investigations being open and public with members of the public participating in them from beginning to end. Something has to change and soon or this is going to blow up (figurative speech, here) in everyone's face. The youth, and especially youth of color, are blaming not just a bad apple here or there but the entire "system" - whatever that means. What concerns me about that is that 1. if the problem is the system then the system needs to be replaced with something and what will that be? and 2. This sentiment of the system being the problem is a phenomenon that is growing rapidly and not limited to this issue. The same is true in economics and a number of other issues. How many times have we heard that Congress is broken followed by support of executive actions that are constitutionally questionable at best. Momentum is this regard is increasing rapidly.
The truth is policemen are held accountable most of the time but it is not publicly announced. I have a cousin that was with North Charleston PD and he testified against two fellow officers for planting marijuana on a kid to try and get information out of him. The two officers were dismissed and I believe convicted. My cousin has since left North Charleston and has been selected State Law Enforcement of the Year and now runs the Charleston County Bomb Squad.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The truth is policemen are held accountable most of the time but it is not publicly announced. I have a cousin that was with North Charleston PD and he testified against two fellow officers for planting marijuana on a kid to try and get information out of him. The two officers were dismissed and I believe convicted. My cousin has since left North Charleston and has been selected State Law Enforcement of the Year and now runs the Charleston County Bomb Squad.
Kudos to your cousin. More cops with the cajones to stand up like that would go a long way towards restoring confidence in law enforcement. So would publicly announcing the punishment.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
[/IMG]

This is a good talk to have for parents of young men especially of young African American men.
I agree - this is what the message should be for all people no matter what nationality, age, religion, or race.

This is what CNN should be preaching.

Also the Chris Rock video should be shown over and over......

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
IMO this is part of the problem, smart people having trouble getting jobs as police officers.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836
Wow. I understand the "overqualified" argument, but how about contracting the applicant and binding him for a term of service?
"Look, you are very bright and we are worried that we will spend a lot of money training you and then you will move on before we get some pay-back on that investment. We will hire you but we need you to legally commit to a five year contract, with a hefty buy-out."

In Virginia, the pay for a beat cop is so low, well, let's just say that they are not getting the highest quality people to apply.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Wow. I understand the "overqualified" argument, but how about contracting the applicant and binding him for a term of service?
"Look, you are very bright and we are worried that we will spend a lot of money training you and then you will move on before we get some pay-back on that investment. We will hire you but we need you to legally commit to a five year contract, with a hefty buy-out."

In Virginia, the pay for a beat cop is so low, well, let's just say that they are not getting the highest quality people to apply.
I agree, working in finance has shown me that you can lock down top talent with contracts. I don't believe the word overqualified should apply to police officers.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I agree - this is what the message should be for all people no matter what nationality, age, religion, or race.

You ain't lying. My wife once started getting into a verbal confrontation after being pulled over by a trooper. I couldn't believe it and was telling her to shut her mouth. You could see and hear his anger level rising. Just be polite and do what you're told.

BTW- I have NO doubt that instead of a small speeding ticket he threw 5 tickets at her as a direct result of her attitude.

She learned her lesson. She has only been pulled over once since then, was super nice and apologetic and was let off with a warning.

While this officer certainly has issues I would be willing to bet this absolutely would not have happened had Scott had simply stayed in his car like he had been instructed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al

When I was stationed in Long Beach I was stopped along with a friend. We were driving into the Belmont section and the police pulled us over with their guns drawn. They practically through us down and cuffed us without any instruction. As we sat on the sidewalk they kept trying to provoke us into saying something. Finally, another police car pulled up and they shined their flashlights in our eyes so that we could not see. Apparently, two men in a car matching the description of the car we were driving had pulled a gun on Beach Patrol and he told them that we were not the ones so they let us go. When the policeman released us he told he actually apologized for acting the way he did and justified it by saying "the Navy guys always give them problems." Now, I grew up in a family made up of a U.S. Marshall, Police Officer, District Attorney, and a Texas Ranger, I also have a cousin that I mentioned above and a cousin that is on the Secret Service Presidential Detail. I was always taught to put my hands on the steering wheel or out the window so the police can see my hands. To always be courteous to the police no matter what and do as they say. Two weeks after this, a couple guys that I was stationed with were beaten badly by Long Beach police. I thought back and wondered if the guys had been treated the same way as they treated me and did not remain polite as I had.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
You can't make this up. A man stole a horse and received a beat down for his trouble. This one may be justified hard to tell if he was resisting. All I can say is at least he is alive.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.