News Article: Tom Brady likely knew of 'inappropriate activities,' Deflategate report says

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Lying about doctoring balls is likely the main reason this went as far as it did. If he had said they like to push the envelope and pushed it too far and apologized, this would have been a $25k fine. Once he went full denial mode he was stuck.
The problem with that is that Brett farve lied about his Extracurricular activities with a jets hostess, and still denies it to this day. It's very similar that he destroyed his cellphone while being investigated by the NFL and the NFL had little to no real evidence that he clearly did it but had reason to believe he did. He got hit with a fine for not being a yes man and not cooperating.

The reason this thing has gone so far is more about Goodell than Brady. The initial 4 games was expected, but it was widely believed that it would be dropped to 2 because of the pats acceptance of their penalties. But Goodell is too stubborn and has to show he has the power to single handily dissolve the league if he so wishes. Also had Goodell not been so inconsistent on suspensions then this would be a non issue. Seriously, deflating balls and smoking weed has a harsher punishment than knocking your fiancé out in an elevator.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The problem with that is that Brett farve lied about his Extracurricular activities with a jets hostess, and still denies it to this day. It's very similar that he destroyed his cellphone while being investigated by the NFL and the NFL had little to no real evidence that he clearly did it but had reason to believe he did. He got hit with a fine for not being a yes man and not cooperating.

The reason this thing has gone so far is more about Goodell than Brady. The initial 4 games was expected, but it was widely believed that it would be dropped to 2 because of the pats acceptance of their penalties. But Goodell is too stubborn and has to show he has the power to single handily dissolve the league if he so wishes. Also had Goodell not been so inconsistent on suspensions then this would be a non issue. Seriously, deflating balls and smoking weed has a harsher punishment than knocking your fiancé out in an elevator.
No, if Brady hadn't lied and destroyed his phone and appealed the NFL decision this whole thing would have been over by last October. Not a big fan of Goodell but he is responsible for trying to maintain the credibility of the league so he has only done what is needed to try and maintain that.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
The difference with this and the other examples is this involves the game itself. The rest are outside the game. They are still serious issues. New England went on the offensive so much it was ridiculous. "The Deflator" because he was losing weight? Really?

There is no doubt they did this. In the big scheme of things it's a very minor offense so why be so adamant about not doing it?

If you knew your kid had taken one extra cookie and confronted them and they lied about, you would get extra ....ed if they went on the offensive to say they didn't do it making ridiculous statements to try to make you look bad.

I said from the beginning any penalty would be for how annoyed the NFL was with how New England handled this than anything. Before this the NFL and the officials weren't concerned with how closely the officials enforced the PSI rules. Make sure the balls are legal before the game but don't worry about it after. The Patriots created this issue and then added significant fuel to the fire.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The Patriot's previous history of cheating most certainly played a role in how the NFL pursued this as well. Repeat offender status plus Brady and co going out of their way to cover it up. Yeah, I'm not surprised something this minor has been turned into something this big.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No, if Brady hadn't lied and destroyed his phone and appealed the NFL decision this whole thing would have been over by last October. Not a big fan of Goodell but he is responsible for trying to maintain the credibility of the league so he has only done what is needed to try and maintain that.
Goodell and credibility in the same sentence is a joke. And I will remind you that Aaron Rodgers over inflates balls and openly admits it. If Goodell was wanting to protect the integrity of the game he would go after him as well.

Skip Bayless is probably the most right in this whole thing by saying their mad at Brady for not giving up either McDaniels or Bill. When Brady didn't give the up, he was the only one that they could go after, and with little concrete evidence

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Goodell and credibility in the same sentence is a joke. And I will remind you that Aaron Rodgers over inflates balls and openly admits it. If Goodell was wanting to protect the integrity of the game he would go after him as well.

Skip Bayless is probably the most right in this whole thing by saying their mad at Brady for not giving up either McDaniels or Bill. When Brady didn't give the up, he was the only one that they could go after, and with little concrete evidence
Aaron Rodgers wasn't officially turned in and wasn't officially investigated either. He could have said "I smoke pot" and what could have the NFL really done? Pick him on the next "random" drug test? Same thing with his admission of the footballs. All they could have done was actually test the footballs of the next Packer game. And don't think for one second that after Rodger's admission the packer's didn't ensure those balls were within regulation for the next game and there on out. Rodgers has a history of popping off at the mouth only to be embarrassed later. Remember his public support of the Brewers baseball player who denied, denied, denied about using PED's only to be caught later. Egg on his face and Rodgers.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Aaron Rodgers wasn't officially turned in and wasn't officially investigated either. He could have said "I smoke pot" and what could have the NFL really done? Pick him on the next "random" drug test? Same thing with his admission of the footballs. All they could have done was actually test the footballs of the next Packer game. And don't think for one second that after Rodger's admission the packer's didn't ensure those balls were within regulation for the next game and there on out. Rodgers has a history of popping off at the mouth only to be embarrassed later. Remember his public support of the Brewers baseball player who denied, denied, denied about using PED's only to be caught later. Egg on his face and Rodgers.
Fact still remains that the idea of Goodell protecting the integrity of the game is a joke. Whether or not Rodgers did or didn't overinflate balls is irrelevant, but what is relevant is that no one really knows if he or any other qb besides Brady (for 1 game) has been playing with properly inflated balls in their entire career. Goodell has had many dumb decisions that violated the integrity of the game Ray Rice and the concussion incidents are just two of a long list of Goodell's legacy of incompetence. Personally I believe Goodell and Brady are being stupid in this, and it's kinda silly that we are arguing on psi levels instead of who is going to win the Super Bowl

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Fact still remains that the idea of Goodell protecting the integrity of the game is a joke. Whether or not Rodgers did or didn't overinflate balls is irrelevant, but what is relevant is that no one really knows if he or any other qb besides Brady (for 1 game) has been playing with properly inflated balls in their entire career. Goodell has had many dumb decisions that violated the integrity of the game Ray Rice and the concussion incidents are just two of a long list of Goodell's legacy of incompetence. Personally I believe Goodell and Brady are being stupid in this, and it's kinda silly that we are arguing on psi levels instead of who is going to win the Super Bowl
I'm not a Goodell fan, nor am I detractor. I don't really care to be honest. With all of the screw ups and mishaps that he has done he's also grown the game exponentially as well. I watched something on ESPN the other day (can't remember the segment) where someone had actually put figures to his tenure with a "before and since" Goodell's tenure. The appreciation in the value of the league since he's been commissioner is eye popping. Would someone else have grown the brand as much or more? Who knows? We'll never know. But for all the bungles he's had with handling issues within the game one thing is for sure. He's been a part of the formula of growing the game and the brand to a point where everyone involved with the game (players, owners and the commissioner title) has greatly benefited from a monetary standpoint.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
NFL star Brady's 'Deflategate' ban appeal denied

New York (AFP) - Tom Brady is poised to start the 2016 NFL season serving a four-game ban after a US appeals court denied the New England quarterback's bid to have his "Deflategate" case reheard.

The second US Circuit Court of Appeals in New York issued a terse ruling saying only that it had denied a petition filed by Brady and the NFL Players Association.

Brady and the players' union had asked for the full appeals court panel of judges to hear the case.

"We are disappointed with the decision denying a rehearing, as there were clear violations of our collective bargaining agreement by the NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell," the NFLPA said in statement.

Brady's last avenue of appeal is the US Supreme Court.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nfl-star-bradys-deflategate-ban-appeal-denied-164232637--nfl.html?ref=gs
Hopefully this will end it

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: NFL star Brady's 'Deflategate' ban appeal denied

Take it like a man, Tom. You'll still get the Pats into the playoffs and probably the super bowl again....you're married to one of the hottest women alive and you've worth millions upon millions. You'll be ok.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think this is justice. A good start and saving Brady 4 games.
I think this is hilarious. And guess what? When the Patriots are in the Super Bowl AGAIN this year, people will be whining they have an advantage because Brady was 'rested' for four games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I hate Goodell so much that this is hilarious. I hope the Pats start Edelman at QB and win again.
My bro (the New England area news producer) says that since they're off this week, it is likely either of the back-ups and possibly both will be ready.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.