Any Game of Thrones TV Show watchers or Book readers out there?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Like here is an editing change that improves some of the issues with S07E06.

Instead of the chain of events being: Raid group is ranging north, Dany and Tyrion have a talk about how dumb boys are, Encounter with White Walkers, Gendry goes running and reaches Eastwatch to send a raven, the magnificent seven get stranded, Dany storms off to the North against Tyrion's demands, Dany arrives to save the raid group.

Do this:

1. Raid group is ranging north

2. Dany has her "boys r dumb" talk. Cut to her storming off because - inserting subtext that the edit creates - she decides the only way this will work is if she goes in force with her three dragons.

3. The raid group encounters the horde

4. Gendry goes running and sends raven

5. Dany arrives as they get swamped by horde.

So this makes Dany even more heroic because clearly the raven was insufficient in retrospect and the only reason they are not all dead is because of her initiative and leadership. Whew lad I should probably be running this operation.
Yah, sitting at your keyboard and nitpicking a sequence of events from one episode qualifies you to run a $100m operation.

Besides, you've gone to a lot of trouble to to alleviate a logistical problem while accidentally modifying character motivations from their intended purpose. While Dany leaving before the raven arrives increases her heroine status by taking initiative, it dampens the romantic acceleration with Jon. It isn't until faced with the certainty of his death that she realizes how much she cares for him (poor Jorah). While leaving early only serves to reinforce that she is brave and strong willed (things we already know about her character) waiting till the raven arrives lets us know how petrified she is of losing Jon and how much she loves him (things we did NOT know about her character.)

I'm more interested in how their feelings for each other will affect the plot and not how these characters can reinforce who they already are. Which brings me to the real point.

The logistics complaints are bologna. Suspension of disbelief takes care of that. Every show fudges it, whether you catch it or not varies. What's more frustrating and what people really should be complaining about is the hair-brained plan to capture a live wight and have the A-team led by Jon go beyond the Wall.

That was silly and contrived and did illustrate just how far from shore the writers are without the source material.

Anybody who gets triggered by the most recent episode should have been ready for this to happen the moment that idea was pitched by Tyrion. The writing was on the wall. And having Jon fall in ice and get left behind only to be rescued again was a ham fisted way of deepening Dany's vulnerability. That could've been more deftly illustrated without a second savior type of moment.

Nobody believed Jon would go out like that so it's only interesting if what he does after he falls in the ice is interesting and it's definitely not. From a story perspective Dany just needed to believe that Jon was dead or going to die and there were many more elegant solutions for accomplishing that.

Oh, and it wasn't the "directors and show writers" who said what you quoted. It was 1 director, Alan Taylor, and he said the emotion and the character were more important than the timeline. He didn't say he "hoped the action distracted people."

If meticulous timeline plotting gets you giddy, go watch Memento. I'm here for Dragons, Zombie Mountains, Faceless Men, Zombie Snowmen, and Children of the Forest (whatever they are.) What is more important are the characters and the choices they make and how they affect one another - not the flight speed of a friggin raven.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The logistics complaints are bologna. Suspension of disbelief takes care of that. Every show fudges it, whether you catch it or not varies. What's more frustrating and what people really should be complaining about is the hair-brained plan to capture a live wight and have the A-team led by Jon go beyond the Wall.

That was silly and contrived and did illustrate just how far from shore the writers are without the source material.
LIKE!

If meticulous timeline plotting gets you giddy, go watch Memento. I'm here for Dragons, Zombie Mountains, Faceless Men, Zombie Snowmen, and Children of the Forest (whatever they are.) What is more important are the characters and the choices they make and how they affect one another - not the flight speed of a friggin raven.

Was it an unladen raven or was it perhaps carrying a coconut?

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Bam. All your travel complaints explained. Note - I know this is from a behind the scenes thing.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Tomorrow's forecast: It looks like Dany is anticipating about 6-8 inches of Snow.

(disclaimer: I'm paraphrasing from something I saw on social media a few days ago)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
The show since around season 4 or 5 has been in a steady decline in attention to detail and plot outline sensibility. Anyone important to the plot can basically apparate into existence wherever needed. This may be a show about dragons and ice zombies but they're just actively destroying the conceits of their own universe to hit plot points they want to have happen in the laziest way possible.

Benioff and Weiss are hacks and are being exposed for the hacks they are the further they get away from original source material.
You're 100% correct. I'm still reading the books, but I am caught up with the show and the quality of the show has gone downhill significantly once it split paths to go beyond the source material.

I've always loved GOT as a TV show, but the plot is way too rushed now and all dialogue seems forced to hurry up and hit beats and move on to some other ridiculous scene. All the main characters have 'plot armor' now too and can't be killed off because the plot needs them alive.

Almost all scenes are so cringy and somehow almost any chemistry previously held between any actors has evaporated. Basically no scenes feel 'natural' anymore because they don't have time to breath. Plus it also doesn't help anymore that the dialogue written is so poor.

I mean I still watch because I'm so invested, but it really has become something I now watch to see just how much of a train-wreck it becomes. It's so bad it's good kind of watching.

I think my #1 worst/best scene so far this season has been the clumsy exchange between Dany and Missandei about the new Grey Worm 'romance' and how Dany looked at her like 'girl whuuu???.....oh snap you didn't lets gossip about this *raised eyebrow*'.....then Jon Snow appears and the two almost giggle like school girls. I audibly cackled it was so funny for the wrong reasons.

Plus the show is forcing the Jon/Dany thing BIGTIME and is it just me or do Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington have ZERO chemistry?? I mean neither has ever displayed great range before but put them together and it's as wooden as scenes between Hayden Christenesen and Natalie Portman in Attack of the Clones.

Hats off to anyone who is still enjoying the show(and I am too in my own way) but I don't see how anyone can defend it with a straight face and pretend it's anywhere close to the quality of the earlier seasons.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Last nights show was epic. The end is nigh. Now I have to figure out what to do for a year until it returns.
Sadly there are rumors that it could be 2019 before it returns. And I will cry.

So long as I don't die before it ends.

Hymnolong

Jul 21, 2017
The great danger is coming and shocking death of either Arya or Sansa. Do you have any idea ho will die?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.