Any Game of Thrones TV Show watchers or Book readers out there?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I kinda felt the same way. On the other hand, when an author finally figures out how he wants to end a story, the result is not always as good as the story's early meanderings. Just ask Stephen King.
Kubrick was right for the most part about King in that he was " a hack writer with great ideas, but had no sense of direction in the most important parts of his stories". I think Martin isn't as bad as King about being lost in his ideas, but he does have the same issues of having massive world setting in a small collection of parts like King.

The issues I have with this season of GOT mostly revolves around the pace. All other seasons built gradually upon each episode with politics, character development, and pieces moving towards a climax in the second to last episode. This season would've been way better had they followed suit, but it's just too erratic with the action overload. It feels like Rome season 2. Last week's episode saved it for me otherwise this season was just slightly better than season 5. IMO

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Well, she appears to be immune to fire in the show, even though that conflicts with the books. So at least the on-screen version of Daenerys has some magic, even without the dragons.
[Spoiler Alert - Highlight to read.]
The real questions there are A) is she also immune to dragon fire and B) is Jon - since he is a Targaryen - likewise immune.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
[Spoiler Alert]
The real questions there are A) is she also immune to dragon fire and B) is Jon - since he is a Targaryen - likewise immune.
SPOILER: Highlight to read.

Code:
[COLOR=#ffffff]Who knows? And once they figure out they're related, will the courtship continue? Tune in next week![/COLOR]

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
SPOILER: Highlight to read.

Code:
[COLOR=#ffffff]Who knows? And once they figure out they're related, will the courtship continue? Tune in next week![/COLOR]
There used to be a spoiler function which would hide the text until you clicked a button. I tried to do that but it didn't seem to work. I guess that functionality has been removed.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
There used to be a spoiler function which would hide the text until you clicked a button. I tried to do that but it didn't seem to work. I guess that functionality has been removed.
That would be nice. Or even if we could give the text a (matching) background color so the need for highlighting is more obvious. Maybe the next forum upgrade.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
That would be nice. Or even if we could give the text a (matching) background color so the need for highlighting is more obvious. Maybe the next forum upgrade.
I found the post from 2009 when the feature was added:
https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89489

Unfortunately, it appears that feature got lost at some point.

However, points to poster Jay Hughes for predicting in that thread that Bama would win the 2009 National Championship in July! :biggrin2:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
[Spoiler Alert - Highlight to read.]
Not all Targaryens are immune to fire. In fact, some of the biggest tragedies in their dynasty involved inbred loonies thinking they could survive dragonfire blasts or drink wildfire.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Not all Targaryens are immune to fire. In fact, some of the biggest tragedies in their dynasty involved inbred loonies thinking they could survive dragonfire blasts or drink wildfire.
Subject: Re:A question about Daenyrs Targarian in a Song of Ice and Fire (spoilers)

In 2000 GRRM wrote in an online Q&A (emphasis is his, not mine):

Granny: Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?
George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.
Revanshe: So she won't be able to do it again?
George_RR_Martin: Probably not.

And, in 1998 he wrote:
"Lastly, some fans are reading too much into the scene in GAME OF THRONES where the dragons are born -- which is to say, it was never the case that all Targaryens are immune to all fire at all times."
Fire immunity is a "TV show" thing, not a "book" thing, and even then, not reliable or consistent.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The show since around season 4 or 5 has been in a steady decline in attention to detail and plot outline sensibility. Anyone important to the plot can basically apparate into existence wherever needed. This may be a show about dragons and ice zombies but they're just actively destroying the conceits of their own universe to hit plot points they want to have happen in the laziest way possible.

Benioff and Weiss are hacks and are being exposed for the hacks they are the further they get away from original source material.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The show since around season 4 or 5 has been in a steady decline in attention to detail and plot outline sensibility. Anyone important to the plot can basically apparate into existence wherever needed. This may be a show about dragons and ice zombies but they're just actively destroying the conceits of their own universe to hit plot points they want to have happen in the laziest way possible.

Benioff and Weiss are hacks and are being exposed for the hacks they are the further they get away from original source material.
MmmK. I read your rants on Facebook yesterday (well yourself and all the fellow traveler contrarians general complaints).

Personally I'm fine not seeing all the traveling. You can watch the Travel Channel if you want all that. I'm sorry that they feel the audience should be smart enough at this point in the show to understand that they've established repeatedly that traveling can take a long time in this world and no longer feel the need to show all of it and would rather show us interesting stuff and major plot points. They also have shown things that show the passage of time (Gilly's child for example) without feeling the need to remind us every scene by having someone say "Boy that sure was a lot of traveling."

I don't understand why people watch something just so they can complain about every little thing. Just watch something else. Again, the Travel Channel has a lot of programming that may be more suited to your liking. If the show is "garbage" to you then why are you even here trying to poop on the people that are enjoying it?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Better writing and plot outlining solves plausibility issues without damaging the pace in action. These guys suck at their job. I don't expect to watch someone sail around the horn for 2 months but a better written story would make these movements seem more sensible. The directors and show writers have actually just said recently that they hope the action distract people from the implausibility of their narrative. That is not "PRESTIGE TELEVISION" that is Michael Bay type garbage for Chinese markets that will have a completely different plot dubbed over it anyway.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Like here is an editing change that improves some of the issues with S07E06.

Instead of the chain of events being: Raid group is ranging north, Dany and Tyrion have a talk about how dumb boys are, Encounter with White Walkers, Gendry goes running and reaches Eastwatch to send a raven, the magnificent seven get stranded, Dany storms off to the North against Tyrion's demands, Dany arrives to save the raid group.

Do this:

1. Raid group is ranging north

2. Dany has her "boys r dumb" talk. Cut to her storming off because - inserting subtext that the edit creates - she decides the only way this will work is if she goes in force with her three dragons.

3. The raid group encounters the horde

4. Gendry goes running and sends raven

5. Dany arrives as they get swamped by horde.

So this makes Dany even more heroic because clearly the raven was insufficient in retrospect and the only reason they are not all dead is because of her initiative and leadership. Whew lad I should probably be running this operation.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Better writing and plot outlining solves plausibility issues without damaging the pace in action. These guys suck at their job. I don't expect to watch someone sail around the horn for 2 months but a better written story would make these movements seem more sensible. The directors and show writers have actually just said recently that they hope the action distract people from the implausibility of their narrative. That is not "PRESTIGE TELEVISION" that is Michael Bay type garbage for Chinese markets that will have a completely different plot dubbed over it anyway.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm in too deep now, so my only enjoyment is sucking all the enjoyment out of it for everyone else.

So, hi! :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.