UT Students Asked To Use Ze Gender Neutral Personal Pronouns

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Nobody said that everyone should be called a single pronoun. "Ze" is offered as an alternative for those who do not identify with "he" or "she". This request is a fairly standard "preferred naming" policy.

When you have friends with a child who doesn't identify with a binary gender structure, and you look at the statistics and risks for those individuals, it gets a whole lot less funny. From that context and perspective, using a different pronoun is not really a hardship for me.
I say this as a person who doesn't have friends with such a child; I'm related to someone who within the past year says she's non-binary and her personal pronoun is "they". You're right, it's not funny. It's ludicrous. She, and all these other confused people need mental help.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Ok, beyond this whole concept being beyond stupid, how does getting rid of genders promote diversity? How can things be diverse if the only gender is "ze"?
I'm the king or queen of "ze" world, take your pick. PM me for instructions on how and where to pay homage.

***Hillary Clinton approves this message.

***I bet Donald Trump does too.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm the king or queen of "ze" world, take your pick. PM me for instructions on how and where to pay homage.

***Hillary Clinton approves this message.

***I bet Donald Trump does too.
When will there be a political poll that says who will win the "ze" vote?

Who is currently Emperor of ze USA? Oh! We've only had one, the One.

I see an ad to the left as I post this that says "'Bear' would be proud". If we're talking about ze's, that has to be inaccurate!

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I'd be curious to know as a percentage at UT, what portion of that student body is curently involved in a gender identity crisis. Is it wise to ask 27,000 students to alter their actions in adressing what is certainly a miniscule portion of the student population? Methinks the Office of Diversity and Inclusion may be over allocated in resources.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'd be curious to know as a percentage at UT, what portion of that student body is curently involved in a gender identity crisis. Is it wise to ask 27,000 students to alter their actions in adressing what is certainly a miniscule portion of the student population? Methinks the Office of Diversity and Inclusion may be over allocated in resources.
it will lead to a lot fewer awkward conversations for those 27k vol students. they no longer have to differentiate whether they are going on a date with their brother or sister.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Nobody said that everyone should be called a single pronoun. "Ze" is offered as an alternative for those who do not identify with "he" or "she". This request is a fairly standard "preferred naming" policy.

When you have friends with a child who doesn't identify with a binary gender structure, and you look at the statistics and risks for those individuals, it gets a whole lot less funny. From that context and perspective, using a different pronoun is not really a hardship for me.
It is for me.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
it will lead to a lot fewer awkward conversations for those 27k vol students. they no longer have to differentiate whether they are going on a date with their brother or sister.
Considering it's UT that is a good point. ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I say this as a person who doesn't have friends with such a child; I'm related to someone who within the past year says she's non-binary and her personal pronoun is "they". You're right, it's not funny. It's ludicrous. She, and all these other confused people need mental help.
Yeah, I used to suffer from multiple personality disorder, but we're all better now.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Tennessee-students-asked-to-use-gender-neutral-6471356.php

University of Tennessee students have been asked to use gender-neutral pronouns such as "ze."

Multiple media outlets report that the University of Tennessee Office for Diversity and Inclusion is asking students and faculty to use the pronouns in order to create a more inclusive campus.

The University of Tennessee's Pride Center Director, Donna Braquet, wrote on the university's website Wednesday that she is requesting that teachers ask each student to provide the name and pronoun he or she — or ze — wishes to be referred by. She says it relieves a burden for people expressing different genders or identities.

No more "he" or "she." Football games on campus will be fun.

"Ze shanked the field goal. Volunteers lose again." :)

And how are zese folks going to take this?

And to hell with the 99.9999999% of folks who are now "burdened" with having to wonder if they're going to get hit with a frivolous lawsuit over the use of the wrong pronoun? (You laugh now - but just wait).

Let me share a personal story that happened recently - in my church no less. A few years back we had a very talented soprano - an absolutely BEAUTIFUL voice - on our church's praise team. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it, but after awhile I began notice that the only people she ever brought to church with her (it was rare but she did bring HS friends) were always girls, never boys. Then her hairstyle and clothing began to change into the stereotype. I finally wondered one day to myself - and this was after knowing her for eight years - "do you think she's LGBQT?" A few days later - and I promise you it was a complete accident, I was looking for something else - I discovered she was the VP of the Pride chapter at her school.

Here's what I didn't do - I didn't gossip, I didn't bash her, I honestly didn't know for sure how to handle it. I didn't want to create a ruckus, and I still like and even love her as I'm commanded to do, but you then get into things like qualifications for biblical service, a completely different issue. So I prayed on it and did nothing - and it pretty much resolved itself. She has not come back, she's in an Episcopal setting (I think that's who) and more comfortable, yadda yadda.

She came back to my church three weeks ago only......she was no longer a she. She didn't come to the service, she (he? ze?) came afterwards to see her/his/zis mother, who runs the sound board. I was very pleased at the confused yet kind reception my son gave her/him/zim/zer.

Last week, the mother asked for prayer and it was quite interesting - not about God changing anything or anything like that but notice how she said it:

"We need to pray for my youngest" (gender neutral). But in the course of the next five sentences or so in every single instance, she kept saying "her, uh his" life and whatever. Mom has known this for years and even Mom has trouble with the gender pronoun. This individual was heading for a career in international relations. In fact, as a transgender such a person might, in fact, move to the front of the line in the USA's never-ending social engineering experiment. That's now been given up for some sort of ecclesiastical (church) internship in rural Massachusetts (because, you know, the liberals of Mass are so much more tolerant than Southerners - and if you actually are dumb enough to believe that, I have a Bridge to Nowhere to sell you).

I can't sit here and say I know what's right for zim/zer to do. But it does appear to me that the confusion is about so much more than just gender.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I won't pretend to know what is going on with someone involved in attempting to switch their sex. I don't understand. If Bruce Jenner liked to play dress up yet continued to father children all those years - I guess that is the part that is a little strange. Knowing a child is not just for thr moment, it is a lifetime commitment to properly raising and loving your child - and being there as a father.

Some of the folks going through this take their personal appearance to places that border on the outrageous. Like hair that suddenly becomes hot pink. Once they've shocked their family members and friends, and made their statement, then what? Where do they go to seek love and support most of us give and receive?

It's tragic but you can sort of understand the high rate of suicide in this community. What's disturbing is the semmingly warm embrace young kids have for this.

And I'll quote Selma "This is just my opinion. I could be wrong."

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Tennessee-students-asked-to-use-gender-neutral-6471356.php

University of Tennessee students have been asked to use gender-neutral pronouns such as "ze."

Multiple media outlets report that the University of Tennessee Office for Diversity and Inclusion is asking students and faculty to use the pronouns in order to create a more inclusive campus.

The University of Tennessee's Pride Center Director, Donna Braquet, wrote on the university's website Wednesday that she is requesting that teachers ask each student to provide the name and pronoun he or she — or ze — wishes to be referred by. She says it relieves a burden for people expressing different genders or identities.

No more "he" or "she." Football games on campus will be fun.

"Ze shanked the field goal. Volunteers lose again." :)

And how are zese folks going to take this?

Will the Tennercee Vols radio announcer use these new pronouns? Will the one tooth Vols throughout the state understand what's being said?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, as I've mentioned before, I have a gay daughter, who's married. So, this is a situation I've had to get accustomed to. Her wife, Mandy, is rather masculine in appearance, although a very sweet person. I'm fairly confident she would laugh me out of the room if I referred to her as a "ze." :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.