Finebaum Interviews Saban for ESPN's Outside the Lines

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
They showed more of this on Paul's show yesterday. Paul did a very good job with this interview. Loved Coach's candor to Paul - "I don't listen to talk radio, but I love you." "Czar of College Football." lol

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We are so lucky to have this man coaching our team. RTR.
Yep. And I think there is so much about him that folks don't know. We all, Alabama fans and rival fans alike, think we "know" Nick Saban. And our perceptions are ingrained and seemingly unchangeable. But I feel like if we truly knew him, perhaps those perceptions would change. I mean, in just that 3 minute segment, I saw a side of him I hadn't seen before.

I'd love it if he could coach 16 more years here at Alabama. I loved his honesty about his feelings about his teams... they've all been capable but some have just fell a bit short. And that drives him to keep coming back for more.

I'm looking forward to seeing the full interview.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, I'm assuming that he's talking about at least 3 Alabama teams and maybe the 2002 LSU team (Mauck injury destroyed their season)...maybe all four are from Tuscaloosa?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Yep. And I think there is so much about him that folks don't know. We all, Alabama fans and rival fans alike, think we "know" Nick Saban. And our perceptions are ingrained and seemingly unchangeable. But I feel like if we truly knew him, perhaps those perceptions would change. I mean, in just that 3 minute segment, I saw a side of him I hadn't seen before.

I'd love it if he could coach 16 more years here at Alabama. I loved his honesty about his feelings about his teams... they've all been capable but some have just fell a bit short. And that drives him to keep coming back for more.

I'm looking forward to seeing the full interview.
Bro, 16 more years! That's insanely appealing to me

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Good stuff!

He may not look it but Coach Saban is "old school" and it's a bit entertaining to see him slowly being dragged into the world of social media.

He really DOES represent well....huge respect!
:)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the 8 teams good enough quote was accurate. It's just that there's always an element of luck. Any given year how many teams in the country are good enough? It's usually at least three or four right? They just have injuries, bad luck, tough matchups (say Alabama vs. Florida in 2008 and 2009), etc...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Coach Bryant had a bunch as well: 62, 66, 72, 74, 75, 77, 80 (bunch of injuries to RBs, incredible defense: held UT to -27 yds and 0 FDs in first half, 2 losses: 6-3 to MSU and 7-0 to ND, held 10 of 12 teams to 1 TD or less, gave up an inexplicable 35 to a 3 win OM team). So, IMO, Coach Bryant had 13 teams that could have won the NC. (I left off the 71 team because Neb was so good Bama never had a chance.)

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I think Saban is going to be 64 on Oct. 31st. He's in his 9th season at Alabama. I think 25 years at Bama is a stretch. I guess you never know.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think the 8 teams good enough quote was accurate. It's just that there's always an element of luck. Any given year how many teams in the country are good enough? It's usually at least three or four right? They just have injuries, bad luck, tough matchups (say Alabama vs. Florida in 2008 and 2009), etc...
The 2009 Oklahoma team is a good example of this. Bradford goes down in the first game against BYU, which OU loses. He tries to come back against UT but gets injured again. OU loses 16-13 giving them 3 losses on the season. The ended up losing to Nebraska and Texas Tech later in the season to finish 8-5 on the year. Outside the 41-13 loss to Tech, OU lost by a combined 12 games.

A healthy Sam Bradford changes the 2009 college football season throughout the nation.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I heard every coach in the SEC is pitching in to make Coach the College football Czar. (immediatley):)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.