Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

I think the big surprise is that Duke Williams has figured out how to make himself invisible on the field. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Jay Jacobs has been a darling on Finebaum all year, with numerous appearances to rave reviews. He was becoming more of a beloved figure with aub fans, and in a weird way, was turning himself into the aub version of our own Mal Moore.

THEN 2015 Football began...

Three things worth noting in the last couple of weeks...

1) Goose Malware benched the guy who HE and others there had spent a year hyping. This was done in part for team purposes, but also to deflect the spotlight off himself while giving the loyal aubs someone (new qb) to rally behind.

Then, after the MSU loss...

2) Jacobs fired the baseball Coach - again a deflect and rally type move he knew would find favor with most aubs who care about baseball.

3) The most subtle move - Jacobs told Pearl to go ahead and have Aubrey Wiley pull the plug on his commitment in Basketball.

As they start to get a real grasp on the true abilities of their football team, and stare down their schedule - well, the heat on the football staff is starting to be felt throughout that Cesspool of an Athletic Department.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Auburn offense just disappeared this year. I honestly don't know if Gus will be here.. we'll see if he opts to leave for NFL...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Why do you think any NFL team is desperate enough to want him? I don't think even the Raiders are that dysfunctional.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Auburn offense just disappeared this year. I honestly don't know if Gus will be here.. we'll see if he opts to leave for NFL...
Shoulda taken that train outta town last year. Don't believe it will be pulling up at his station this year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

On Finebaum yesterday Jack Crowe essentially said that the Miss State game is a must-win for team morale. From his tone of voice it sounded to me like the morale must be pretty darn low. He also said that nobody can keep a secret at Auburn. I found that amusing.

*Side note: Jack Crowe's 1992 Arkansas team lost to The Citadel. I mention that because it is funny.
Crowe is also alleged to be the mastermind behind the fourth and one toss to Fullwood - rather than Bo Over The Top - in the 1984 Iron Bowl. Of course, I blame Dye for that one because he only needed a field goal but that call was a microcosm. Crowe was let go after Auburn dropped the 1985 Iron Bowl and the Cotton Bowl to ATM.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Crowe is also alleged to be the mastermind behind the fourth and one toss to Fullwood - rather than Bo Over The Top - in the 1984 Iron Bowl. Of course, I blame Dye for that one because he only needed a field goal but that call was a microcosm. Crowe was let go after Auburn dropped the 1985 Iron Bowl and the Cotton Bowl to ATM.

Pat Dye also fired The Crowe on the sideline one year in a heated display (not pictured)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

they ran jj out on one play, then pulled him after state called a t.o. then they subsequently fumbled the snap on 3 and goal from the 2 and had to kick the field goal. it was freaking hilarious.

that sand lot crap can make you look like an offensive "genius" when you've got a big dog team on their heels. but it can also make you look desperate and clueless. im guessing desperate and clueless will be the norm for the barn the rest of the season.

im picking san jose state in the upset
If you can't line up under center on the goal line you are screwed and that is what happened down there Sat. night. If it's 3 and goal from the one and you snap the ball 7 yards deep to the QB it's over.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

If you can't line up under center on the goal line you are screwed and that is what happened down there Sat. night. If it's 3 and goal from the one and you snap the ball 7 yards deep to the QB it's over.
I would like to know the TD percentage of spread teams with 1st & goal vs a team with a traditional under center approach at that point.

Maybe our crack research team can get right on that [emoji6]

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

Auburn is Shortcut U. Bet it all on a gimmicky high school coach with a newfangled offense that'll work for a few years until teams adapt and figure out how to stop it. Make unrealistic promises of playing time to recruits, coddle your star players, and sweep problems under the rug. Scapegoat your defensive coordinator and run a revolving door there. Run a circus-like recruiting system, gambling on juco players, gimmicks like limos and huge scoreboards, and a cheesy "family" concept that falls apart when the team loses. If the reports of coaching staff and player dissention are true, it should shock no one.

At least under Dye, Bowden, and Tuberville (in the early TT years) they had a structurally sound program, paying players aside. But ever since Jacobs arrived and we got Coach Saban, they've gone wild with the shortcuts and gimmicks. It isn't unlike our Dubose era. The difference is, Malzahn will leave town before it totally crashes so he can cash in someplace else, as will Muschamp.

Only one thing I would love more than the wheels falling off the auburn wagon..... for our wheels to start working right again. RTR!

I have no idea how our team will respond to this latest challenge. Hopefully they'll handle this adversity, grow together and benefit from it. One can hope. :)
Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

Fans always create and buy into hype, that never surprises me.

I will never understand why the likes of ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, etc bought in so hard on the Barn this year. They are the ones that are suppose to look at things objectively.

Why did anyone think Muschamp would turn this defense around, look at his UF defenses. Even if he is the genius everyone says he is, it would take more then 1 off season to turn it around.

Why did they also buy into the Johnson hype when he had only one previous start in the SEC. Then repeat the same hype with a QB that had never taken a snap on a college field.

The media didn't do the barn fans any good by adding to the hype all summer. Anyone who objectively looked at AU new that a mediocre season was a real possibility.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

It is clear Gus can't bring them a title, I hope he stays around for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.