Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Just because you're filthy rich and give away money and do some media appearences doesn't mean you are OR are not a good person.

That comes down to character.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Just because you're filthy rich and give away money and do some media appearences doesn't mean you are OR are not a good person.

You wouldn't believe the number of times times he makes kids' days when the camera isn't rolling.

He surprised a kid with terminal cancer for an early Halloween party, and the world only found out because that family tweeted about it later. Same thing with him visiting the families of Charleston victims, visiting kids’ hospitals, his charity foundation etc. He visited elementary schools in the area every week, even during football season, while he was at Auburn.

There are countless examples out there of him making a kid’s day when he thought nobody was watching.

Now, I know y'all will simply assume the worst but I assure you there is a lot you aren't seeing. Yeah, he screwed up in the past. Yeah he still has some more growing up to do, but it's not "baloney, just like his phoney degree." :rolleyes:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

i see no problem with the name change.. Cam won that school a natty. someting i never thought i'd see in my lifetime. he's got some growing up to do but i think he'll be ok

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Just because you have not gotten caught stealing and lying again does not make you a good person.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Now, I know y'all will simply assume the worst but I assure you there is a lot you aren't seeing. Yeah, he screwed up in the past. Yeah he still has some more growing up to do, but it's not "baloney, just like his phoney degree." :rolleyes:
I'm a Bama fan through and through and I love my fellow Alabama fans - but it's just one of those things.

It's probably wrong and extreme, but I don't know a Bama fan that will ever come around on Cam. We will more than likely think the worst of him until he retires.

If I'm being honest with myself about those feelings, it's a mixture of his past behavior, his obnoxious personality, his poor sportsmanship, my general annoyance, my own jealousy and lingering resentment from 2010 and the fact that we all have to conclude that he is one of the best football players around.

So you're just gonna have to let us run him down, logical or not.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

logical or not.
It is logical though.

He's a thief who was kicked out of college.
He was bought and paid for, by his admission he chose Auburn because of his father and by his father's admission he shopped Cam.
His ties to Auburn are limited and he's beloved because of what he did in one year, not because of the depth that relationship. Had Auburn been appropriately punished in a timely fashion (Cam suspended during the season) the same person, acting the same exact way would be despised by Auburn.
He has shown poor sportsmanship.

He's a great football player, but I've never once been the type of person to think football comes above all else. It doesn't.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

It is logical though.

He was bought and paid for, by his admission he chose Auburn because of his father and by his father's admission he shopped Cam.
His ties to Auburn are limited and he's beloved because of what he did in one year, not because of the depth that relationship. Had Auburn been appropriately punished in a timely fashion (suspended during the season) the same person, acting the same exact way would be despised by Auburn.

He's a great football player, but I've never once been the type of person to think football comes above all else. It doesn't.
I think it's logical now, my only thought is that I do believe it's possible for people to gain perspective and empathy and to understand how their actions were harmful or wrong and to change their behavior - but even if that happens, we (me included) are likely to still loathe Cam Newton. At that point, if he had done all those things and truly become an exemplary role model for kids and the community and we still loathed him (likely) it would probably be a bit unfair. But my selfish side thinks of the points you've just made and finds it impossible to see a brighter side to the guy. I'm a fool me once type of fella - even to my own detriment at times.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

You wouldn't believe the number of times times he makes kids' days when the camera isn't rolling.

He surprised a kid with terminal cancer for an early Halloween party, and the world only found out because that family tweeted about it later. Same thing with him visiting the families of Charleston victims, visiting kids’ hospitals, his charity foundation etc. He visited elementary schools in the area every week, even during football season, while he was at Auburn.

There are countless examples out there of him making a kid’s day when he thought nobody was watching.

Yeah, we know all of that. (I have a buddy up there that tells me this stuff. He loves him as much as you do.) So what? He is still a putz.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

It is logical though.

His ties to Auburn are limited and he's beloved because of what he did in one year, not because of the depth that relationship. Had Auburn been appropriately punished in a timely fashion (Cam suspended during the season) the same person, acting the same exact way would be despised by Auburn.

More like 6 months..

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX

And BTW, I can't stand Cam... But this guy is speaking the truth...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Since I have already stepped into this one..................

The other 3, that were mentioned...............

All are very talented athletes, so no need to discuss their careers.

Bo: Other than the fact he played for the wrong team, by all accounts, he is an all-around good guy. Probably worthy of some recognition.

Frank Thomas: I have to tread lightly here, as I have a buddy who was on the same MLB team with him. Let's just say he didn't think as highly of him, as a lot of other folks do. I trust my buddy's judgement. I'll leave it at that.

Sir Charles: a lovable buffoon. Hard to hate the guy. Not sure I would name anything after him. He might agree, as he admits he is not a role model.

I'm not either, unless you aspire to be a goofy engineer. In which case, you have other problems.

(Happy now?)

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

Since I have already stepped into this one..................

The other 3, that were mentioned...............

All are very talented athletes, so no need to discuss their careers.

Bo: Other than the fact he played for the wrong team, by all accounts, he is an all-around good guy. Probably worthy of some recognition.

Frank Thomas: I have to tread lightly here, as I have a buddy who was on the same MLB team with him. Let's just say he didn't think as highly of him, as a lot of other folks do. I trust my buddy's judgement. I'll leave it at that.

Sir Charles: a lovable buffoon. Hard to hate the guy. Not sure I would name anything after him. He might agree, as he admits he is not a role model.

I'm not either, unless you aspire to be a goofy engineer. In which case, you have other problems.

(Happy now?)
Well, I have a cousin that played TE at auburn during the 80's when all 3 were there. He is still very close to Frank. When the Big Hurt shoes came out we all got free pairs, as well as, other clothing items. This is just my .02, believe what your friend says and I will belive what my cousin says and what I have experienced with my own eyes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

People can change...we get that. But the evidence of selfishness and immaturity is still mounting against Cam. Remember the Super Bowl. Woudn't jump on a fumble when the game is on the line and then wouldn't talk to the press.

So it's hard for us to see the good in him even though he may do some good from time to time.

Now, you say he visited local schools weekly while he was at Auburn??? OK, maybe so, but this just adds to the "controversy" that he never attended classes and that his degree can't be legit. I played college sports and between classes, games/travel, and practices all I really wanted to do was to eat and sleep.

For the record, I like you Dub and you are a good poster, but you're going to struggle to convince us that Cam's really a good guy when most of the evidence is to the contrary.

Also, I'm glad that Cam played at Auburn because I don't like his attitude about almost all things (save his charity work). But if I could go back and reverse time, I do anything to have Bo Jackson change his mind and play at Bama. Stand up guy and he's always been classy in everything I've seen of him.

So this is not just that fact that I don't like Auburn...I don't like Cam because Cam is not likeable.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Let me get this straight before playing advocate. I don't have any fond feelings for Cam Newton at all.

But if I were to try to give him the benefit of the doubt here:

1. Yes he got kicked out of Florida. However, maybe, just maybe he got a taste of humility at Blinn JC.
2. Yes his Dad most likely (almost certainly depending on who you root for) shopped him around. Maybe, just maybe he just went along with it knowing that his eligibility and second chance was in jeopardy if he didn't.
3. Yes he is able to lean on his talent. Maybe, just maybe he still works his butt off and optimizes it.
4. I can't find ANY way to justify his antics. Lets just say that it actually endears him to some people and completely turns other people off.
5. Yes there are those who disregard his degree. Lets just say he didn't have to do anything, and still be set for life. He didn't choose that option.
and finally
6. There is plenty of reason to believe that he does a great deal of philanthropy behind the scenes and blatantly in front of the camera as well. Lets just say no amount of either convinces someone who has made up their mind about a person.

I'm not ever going to point to him when giving an example of someone who was humbled and turned it around, but if Auburn and Auburn fans want to, no skin off me.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Let me get this straight before playing advocate. I don't have any fond feelings for Cam Newton at all.

But if I were to try to give him the benefit of the doubt here:

1. Yes he got kicked out of FSU. However, maybe, just maybe he got a taste of humility at Blinn JC.
2. Yes his Dad most likely (almost certainly depending on who you root for) shopped him around. Maybe, just maybe he just went along with it knowing that his eligibility and second chance was in jeopardy if he didn't.
3. Yes he is able to lean on his talent. Maybe, just maybe he still works his butt off and optimizes it.
4. I can't find ANY way to justify his antics. Lets just say that it actually endears him to some people and completely turns other people off.
5. Yes there are those who disregard his degree. Lets just say he didn't have to do anything, and still be set for life. He didn't choose that option.
and finally
6. There is plenty of reason to believe that he does a great deal of philanthropy behind the scenes and blatantly in front of the camera as well. Lets just say no amount of either convinces someone who has made up their mind about a person.

I'm not ever going to point to him when giving an example of someone who was humbled and turned it around, but if Auburn and Auburn fans want to, no skin off me.
Florida.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I'm not sure it's possible to get kicked out of FSU. As long as you have legit football talent, I mean.
Greg Reid and De'Andre Johnson, say, "Hi."

That said, understand the sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.