Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old - Page 3
Page 3 of 358 FirstFirst 123456789101353103 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American ccc2259's Avatar

Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

Quote Originally Posted by PitMaster View Post
    But I have reason to believe.........
    Your thought process sounds spot on to me based on my personal observations. Can you share with us why you have reason to believe....? Is it something other than personal observation?
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mikeua69 View Post
    Apparently Jovon Robinson was screaming at Malzhan and had to be pulled away during the Jax State game.
    Did you actually observe this? Have any details?

BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

To run that offense, you have to possess a dual threat QB and the barn does not have one on the roster. As for discipline issues, this is the same gus that was going to let spice smoking gun loaning mike dyer with him to AR St. I posted on this site when muschump was hired there would be problems. Muschump has to be saying "I was a SEC head coach and now I am working with a guy that was coaching high school ball 10 years ago."

BamaNation Hall of Fame Catfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    To run that offense, you have to possess a dual threat QB and the barn does not have one on the roster. As for discipline issues, this is the same gus that was going to let spice smoking gun loaning mike dyer with him to AR St. I posted on this site when muschump was hired there would be problems. Muschump has to be saying "I was a SEC head coach and now I am working with a guy that was coaching high school ball 10 years ago."
    Not to take up for Gus, but Houston Nutt had almost exactly that attitude when Gus was working for him. Now, Nutt would be lucky to get a HS job. Art Briles is a former HS coach, too, and he's done OK at the college level. If Muschamp is thinking that way, he'd be better off channeling his energy elsewhere. His D hasn't been especially effective so far. Plus, he needs to be a good soldier and improve his reputation a little if he ever wants to be a head guy at a power 5 program again.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Not to take up for Gus, but Houston Nutt had almost exactly that attitude when Gus was working for him. Now, Nutt would be lucky to get a HS job. Art Briles is a former HS coach, too, and he's done OK at the college level. If Muschamp is thinking that way, he'd be better off channeling his energy elsewhere. His D hasn't been especially effective so far. Plus, he needs to be a good soldier and improve his reputation a little if he ever wants to be a head guy at a power 5 program again.
    i bet muschamp is thinking to himself "if i would have just waited three more years in austin"
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Catfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i bet muschamp is thinking to himself "if i would have just waited three more years in austin"
    Man, I don't know that he'd have had any better luck there than he did with the Gators. UT was a mess when Brown got the ax. After Muschamp left UF, wasn't there talk that Spurrier was interested in him as DC?
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

Man, I don't know that he'd have had any better luck there than he did with the Gators. UT was a mess when Brown got the ax. After Muschamp left UF, wasn't there talk that Spurrier was interested in him as DC?
    i never heard that about spurrier.

i was thinking at least at texas he would not be the laughing stock he is on track to become after failing miserably at florida and now about to be gilligan going down with skipper gus.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation First Team Bama Czar's Avatar

Once, I learned that we gotta stop that little inside trap.
    I like it. I like it a lot.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonPassion's Avatar

I think you're right, and I also remember his name being floated around as the next DC at Texas A&M. So many options, and he chose to go back to the barn. Hope you're pleased with your decision, Willie Boy!!!!!!!

I don't know how legit it was, but they did talk about it on Finebaum a few times. Several "people in the know" thought he'd have been better off going to SC because Spurrier is bound to retire sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    Without the two miraculous wins over Georgia and Alabama the national perception of Malzahn and AU's program would be entirely different.
    Agree totally. 9-3 in 2013, 8-5 in 2014 and if they continue to play like they have this year a 8-5 may happen again. I don't think the talking heads would be calling him an offense genius and one of the best head coaches in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    I wonder if Mack would have retired in 3 more years especially if they were having success. Most of these coaches, including Spurrier, just don't want to give it up. It is usually about ego. Spurrier wants to break Coach Bryant's SEC win record, unlikely, and become the only Div 1 coach to win 100 games at 2 schools, possible. They also have trouble seeing that they've lost the edge that they had. It is a thin line and difficult to see.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

There was quite a bit of discussion on Finebaum yesterday about the future of SOS. He has a massive ego and thinks he can still win, but after losing at home to UK there are some who feel he may be looking at a 6-6 or 5-7 season. Does he retire if this happens or does he continue to stay the course? The talk was that, due to his age, opponents are using that against him and it has hurt his last several recruiting classes and in the SEC that is not a good sign. There was talk that if Muschamp had been offered and taken the DC job at USCe he would have been the heir apparent which may or may not have been a good decision.
    Last edited by GrayTide; September 16th, 2015 at 06:39 PM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but never preserved except in memory LLAP" Leonard Nimoy