Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

It's rare. Only one bad AU team has beaten Bama - 1949. The upset in 1972 was from an 11-1 AU team. The last 2 AU "flukes" played for a NC. There have been few BIG upsets in this series, contrary to conventional wisdom. I just don't remember many "crappy" AU teams beating Bama.

I think the last 2 AU flukes have discombobulated a few Bama fans. Bama would be on a 7 game streak otherwise.
I looked it up one time and if memory serves me correct the largest margin of victory Auburn had managed against us, Bama, since I have been alive, (I was born in 1962), is 10 points. I can't count the times we have blown Auburn out of the stadium in my lifetime!! ;)

tmv85

All-SEC

I looked it up one time and if memory serves me correct the largest margin of victory Auburn had managed against us, Bama, since I have been alive, (I was born in 1962), is 10 points. I can't count the times we have blown Auburn out of the stadium in my lifetime!! ;)

This. I was in a discussion with a barner a while back (a couple of different conversations with a couple of barners, in fact), and I used this fact but focused only on the years since Coach Bryant passed away. I also compared the wins and losses during the same period and found that they were pretty close to even. One of the guys told me I was just spinning facts. When I reminded him that this was a time when we had gone through 8 coaches and had faced significant reduction in scholarships, so the barn should have easily blown us out of the water each and every year but didn't, he had nothing to say except I could keep spinning facts. So delusional.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

Gus needs a qb who can:

1. run
2. throw
3. run zone read to make the defense pause to see if the qb is going to run, hand off or pass

JJ doesn't fit the mold...ironically Nick Marshall was a master with the zone read...so good his "average" passing skills were good enough because his receivers were often "wide open."
This is true for every spread based HUNH team and IMO it shows that Gus isn't an offensive "genius" like so many give him credit for.

QB talent and fitting the system is Key to these offenses being successful.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.

The amazement to me is the media gurus that proclaimed JJ to be all world at QB to lead the barn to the playoffs in his first year as a starter, but yet, we have QB problems because whoever starts will be a first year starter. :conf3:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Without the two miraculous wins over Georgia and Alabama the national perception of Malzahn and AU's program would be entirely different.
You're not kidding. If only ONE of those hadn't happened, we might have three-peated and retired the crown as 'greatest college football dynasty ever.'

That 2013 Iron Bowl literally changed history in a lot of ways.

But once Gus's dog and pony show runs its course, it's 8-5 every year, which is what I've been saying before. Keep in mind that his last year as OC at Auburn, he got zippo against us.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

Gus needs a qb who can:

1. run
2. throw
3. run zone read to make the defense pause to see if the qb is going to run, hand off or pass

JJ doesn't fit the mold...ironically Nick Marshall was a master with the zone read...so good his "average" passing skills were good enough because his receivers were often "wide open."
Well I think every Coach would like a QB that can run and throw...LOL

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Well I think every Coach would like a QB that can run and throw...LOL
Yes, but how many can you name who are/have been very good at both...really?

Steve Young from several years ago comes to mind.
Michael Vick
Tim Tebow - especially in college
Cam Newton
Johnny Football

They sure don't grow on trees.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Michael Vick
Cam Newton
Johnny Football

Randall Cunningham pre-injury
Charlie Ward
Didn't Troy Aikman run the wishbone at OU before he got hurt? (Idk - I'm really asking).

But yeah not many.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Michael Vick
Cam Newton
Johnny Football

They don't grow on trees. But especially in college, and most especially with the 3-yard downfield rule for OL, they now have to be first a runner. Secondarily, they don't have to be a great, or even good, passer. They have to be only a credible threat to pass. Like Nick Marshall, and like the current Tennessee QB whose name escapes me at the moment.

You roll out the QB, he gets a good head of steam up, the OL is 3 (or 5) yards downfield. The DB not only doesn't know, but can't possibly know, whether to come up in run support or stay back in pass coverage. It's Jordan Hare in 2013, except now it's all day long.

Given Urban Meyer as offensive coordinator and QB coach (and regardless of who held what title, that's what he was), if Tim Tebow had had the 3-yd rule, he'd have set records that would stand for decades. I'd also say that UM would still be at Florida, because he never would have had the meltdown, because while we might have beaten them in 2009, but we wouldn't have unmasked them.

This rule is why little !(%*&&^s who never would have gotten a D-1 scholarship 10 years ago now win Heismans.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Charlie Ward
Didn't Troy Aikman run the wishbone at OU before he got hurt? (Idk - I'm really asking).

But yeah not many.
Aikman did run the wishbone at OU. After his injury, Hollaway took over as QB. Troy transferred to UCLA.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

Charlie Ward

But yeah not many.
His first year as starter at OU they ran some sort of pro set on offense until he got injured and lost for the season, '85. They then went back to the 'bone with him out.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

This team has drastically underachieved so far - not that they were true playoff contenders to begin with.....

...Bama may win the NC, though it is going to be very difficult. We may make the playoffs. BUT I feel INFINITELY better about OUR Team, Players, Coaches, and their direction and purpose, than what I would feel if I was an aub taking that group down to Baton Rouge, and then beyond...
If????
With all the attention to the happenings down in Lee County, I'm pretty sure you are.
Regardless, here's a quarter:

Call someone who cares.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Michael Vick
Cam Newton
Johnny Football

Nick Marshall ran that offense pretty well himself the last 2 years.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A

But once Gus's dog and pony show runs its course, it's 8-5 every year, which is what I've been saying before. Keep in mind that his last year as OC at Auburn, he got zippo against us.
Yeah, no one's touched on that. Who do you think was in charge of the players on that offense, both on and off the field, in those years? Do you think it was the strong leader Gene Chizik? I doubt it. I loved watching CGC go ask CGM on the sideline what they were going to do in a given situation.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

They're 2-0.

Doesn't matter how it looks, they're 2-0. We're past the point of style wins. Just win. If Jeremy Johnson throws 3 picks in every game they have remaining but they still find a way to win the game, it's all the same.

The SEC will have ONE team in the playoffs. Not two. Not zero. Just one. And there's a 99% chance that that one is the conference champion. If they can keep playing poorly and still win, then it doesn't matter how they look doing it. They are getting laughed at, but I can assure you every P5 team with a loss already would gladly swap places with them

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Nick Marshall ran that offense pretty well himself the last 2 years.
Basically the point, even though he was not a great passer (like those mentioned above) he was good enough with the execution of the zone read to make Gus' trickeration work.

But he's not truly a great dual threat runner and passer at the elite passing level.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

Until tomorrow!:wink:
LSU is overrated. Everybody looks good when there's no tape on you. MSU had nothing to go on...and but for a boneheaded penalty that took them out of FG range, they would have beaten LSU. Edit: that's assuming that their place kicker is better than ours.

I got AU winning this game by 2 TDs

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

LSU is overrated. Everybody looks good when there's no tape on you. MSU had nothing to go on...and but for a boneheaded penalty that took them out of FG range, they would have beaten LSU. I got AU winning this game by 2 TDs
Nothing would surprise me about the Barn, but I've seen the Barn play one game and LSU play one game and LSU just seems more solid on both sides of the ball.

Don't really think they'll consistently be able to stop LF and their qb Harris is good enough to keep 'em from stacking the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.