Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - old - Page 5
Page 5 of 358 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains"

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    for what looks like a QB that hasn't gotten it together just quite yet, in an offense that really relies on the QB, walking into Death Valley could spell trouble. He may just double that INT number this weekend.
    T'would be funny, no?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uaintn View Post
    Lester is liable to give the ball to LF 50 times on Saturday. I'm unsure the API defense can stop him even if they know he's coming. I agree they could come back strong, but when the Fambly falls apart, they eat their young. Gus is at a very tenuous spot. They need to look good Saturday.
    Check out the twitter account of Rob Pate. He is already raising cane and he supposedly supports the program. https://twitter.com/robpate?ref_src=...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Pretty obvious there are problems down there, even their own fans recognize that. But the season is just beginning and I would not write them off just yet. Even if they lose every game from now to the iron bowl, they will likely give us all we can handle in JHS like they do most of the time when we play them there. Also, it's worth noting that we have only beaten them two times in a row twice since 2000.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; September 17th, 2015 at 10:26 AM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Gus needs a qb who can:

1. run
    2. throw
    3. run zone read to make the defense pause to see if the qb is going to run, hand off or pass

JJ doesn't fit the mold...ironically Nick Marshall was a master with the zone read...so good his "average" passing skills were good enough because his receivers were often "wide open."

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    With the exception of a few on here; I have seen more auburn teams look crappy and yet miraculously rise from the ashes and beat us. Don't count on them self destructing just yet.
    dig it, a classic example of a team that does not play to a standard - one which Coach constantly harps on at the Capstone.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Pretty obvious there are problems down there, even their own fans recognize that. But the season is just beginning and I would not write them off just yet. Even if they lose every game from now to the iron bowl, they will likely give us all we can handle in JHS like they do most of the time when we play them there. Also, it's worth noting that we have only beaten them two times in a row twice since 2000.
    Also worth noting that through 2007 Bama was crippled by sanctions. Also worth noting that those 2 times were since 2008. In fact Bama has won 5 of 7, including 2 of the last 3 in J-H. Bama has a winning record at J-H after 2007 with the lone AU win a fluke. Worthy of note is that Bama would have a 7 game win streak but for 2 flukes. Bama humiliated AU and Malzahn in JH in 2011, scoring 42, and shutting out Malzahn's offense.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    With the exception of a few on here; I have seen more auburn teams look crappy and yet miraculously rise from the ashes and beat us. Don't count on them self destructing just yet.
    It's rare. Only one bad AU team has beaten Bama - 1949. The upset in 1972 was from an 11-1 AU team. The last 2 AU "flukes" played for a NC. There have been few BIG upsets in this series, contrary to conventional wisdom. I just don't remember many "crappy" AU teams beating Bama.

I think the last 2 AU flukes have discombobulated a few Bama fans. Bama would be on a 7 game streak otherwise.

BamaNation All-SEC KentuckianaBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Gus needs a qb who can:

1. run
    2. throw
    3. run zone read to make the defense pause to see if the qb is going to run, hand off or pass

JJ doesn't fit the mold...ironically Nick Marshall was a master with the zone read...so good his "average" passing skills were good enough because his receivers were often "wide open."

Nick benefited too from his linemen blocking downfield...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    It's rare. Only one bad AU team has beaten Bama - 1949. The upset in 1972 was from an 11-1 AU team. The last 2 AU "flukes" played for a NC. There have been few BIG upsets in this series, contrary to conventional wisdom. I just don't remember many "crappy" AU teams beating Bama.

I think the last 2 AU flukes have discombobulated a few Bama fans. Bama would be on a 7 game streak otherwise.
    I looked it up one time and if memory serves me correct the largest margin of victory Auburn had managed against us, Bama, since I have been alive, (I was born in 1962), is 10 points. I can't count the times we have blown Auburn out of the stadium in my lifetime!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOAN View Post
    I looked it up one time and if memory serves me correct the largest margin of victory Auburn had managed against us, Bama, since I have been alive, (I was born in 1962), is 10 points. I can't count the times we have blown Auburn out of the stadium in my lifetime!!

This. I was in a discussion with a barner a while back (a couple of different conversations with a couple of barners, in fact), and I used this fact but focused only on the years since Coach Bryant passed away. I also compared the wins and losses during the same period and found that they were pretty close to even. One of the guys told me I was just spinning facts. When I reminded him that this was a time when we had gone through 8 coaches and had faced significant reduction in scholarships, so the barn should have easily blown us out of the water each and every year but didn't, he had nothing to say except I could keep spinning facts. So delusional.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride--and never quit--you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards." Coach Paul Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Gus needs a qb who can:

1. run
    2. throw

This is true for every spread based HUNH team and IMO it shows that Gus isn't an offensive "genius" like so many give him credit for.

QB talent and fitting the system is Key to these offenses being successful.

BamaNation All-American MegaVars's Avatar

The amazement to me is the media gurus that proclaimed JJ to be all world at QB to lead the barn to the playoffs in his first year as a starter, but yet, we have QB problems because whoever starts will be a first year starter.
    "And believe me, to have been in the city of Tuscaloosa in October when you were young and full of Early Times and had a shining Alabama gal by your side--to have had all that and then to have seen those red shirts pour onto the field, and, then, coming behind them, with that inexorable big cat walk of his, the man himself, The Bear--that was very good indeed." Howell Raines, a Washington correspondent for the New York Times.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    Without the two miraculous wins over Georgia and Alabama the national perception of Malzahn and AU's program would be entirely different.
    You're not kidding. If only ONE of those hadn't happened, we might have three-peated and retired the crown as 'greatest college football dynasty ever.'

That 2013 Iron Bowl literally changed history in a lot of ways.

But once Gus's dog and pony show runs its course, it's 8-5 every year, which is what I've been saying before. Keep in mind that his last year as OC at Auburn, he got zippo against us.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma